Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3 15 16  17  18  Next

realeez  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 5:45 pm
sarahd wrote:
Well, it was explained to us a couple of pages back that there are those for whom melodrama is the definition of good writing. I guess most Jewish writers write for them.

I'm enjoying Dov Haller's story. I'm glad there's one out of three in Mishpacha that I'm still able to read.

The one in the Junior is actually quite good. The story line is easy to figure out but it's really enjoyable!

Levtov  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:04 pm
[quote="Mama Bear"]I am still upset, although Riva explained why, why the story's plot TOTALLY changed midway into something rather cliche (mother and son and daughter in law stuff) instead of the real, heartwrenching original story. which was solved without a real solution. people dont 'come back to the derech' so easily. usually such couples get divorced. which is what huvi and betzalel shouldve done many chapters ago.[/quote(agree)
Hello, Riva
I love your stories and your style of writing. I enjoyed every minute of Green Fences.Every character reminded me of somebody I know that is exactly as the ones in the story. When you started Shattered Glass it seemed like you outdid yourself. Although,eye opening, I couldn't wait for the next issue!!! As soon as those(may I say "few") vocal fanatics made all that noise, the story became really blase'....Please , tell us how the story was really supposed to be...please...(we won't tell anybody)

sarahd  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:43 pm
realeez wrote:
sarahd wrote:
Well, it was explained to us a couple of pages back that there are those for whom melodrama is the definition of good writing. I guess most Jewish writers write for them.

I'm enjoying Dov Haller's story. I'm glad there's one out of three in Mishpacha that I'm still able to read.

The one in the Junior is actually quite good. The story line is easy to figure out but it's really enjoyable!

Yes, that's true. I had forgotten about the Junior story.

chaylizi  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:45 pm
sarahd wrote:
I guesso. The father doesn't want his daughter to get married so soon so he torpedoes her very nicely progressing shidduch. Currently, his unmarried brother is trying to get it back on the rails. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors.)

I take it you don't like the Yair Weinstock story?

sarahd  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:07 pm
No, first of all I don't like frum suspense stories and secondly I don't like it when stories jump between two eras or plot lines every three paragraphs. In general, I think that two (or three or four) plot lines running through a story is a literary device that is very overused in frum writing.

chaylizi  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:09 pm
that is so very true & I'm really not that fond of it.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 8:56 pm
[I]Yerushalayim, May 2007

[I]Warsaw, March 1936

[I] Pelopenesia, summer 1500 BCE

[I]Mars, 2525[I]

Mama Bear  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:20 pm
I like the yair weinstock story but only the one that's set in modern times. I'm barely following the one in ancient times. etka gitel does a much better job with historical fiction Smile.

oh I LOVE when there is a will! I wonder how that will work out.

Yakira  

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:17 am
write on, if you are still reading, is there any way we can read the original story online or something? Id pay for it! Is it written or was it just an idea in your mind?

momsprince

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:28 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I like the yair weinstock story but only the one that's set in modern times. I'm barely following the one in ancient times. etka gitel does a much better job with historical fiction Smile.

oh I LOVE when there is a will! I wonder how that will work out.
Who is the author of when there is a will? Which magazine publishes it?

Sherri

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 8:33 pm
Etonnemoi wrote:
Loving your Behind the Veil (Lakewood serial) story. Power on.
Behind the Veil? Where's that?

chavamom  

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 11:39 pm
The new story is off to a promising start.

sarahd

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:32 am
Which new story?

Yakira

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:32 pm
chava, thats the problem. They ALL start off promising, grab us and get us interested and than the contravesial topics arise along with the outcry and letters and all of a sudden the plot changes so much that you can't tell its the same story.

truthfully, I'm suprrised that mishpacha hasn't realized that this happens every time and tries for a tamer topic to start with. Unless they davka want the outcry and letters, maybe its good advertising for the story.

chaylizi  

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:34 pm
what new story?

write on  

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:52 pm
Hi Everyone! I'm running so can't reply individually, but regarding the real story for Shattered Glass, I need to see if I can/will reveal it at some point. I will try to do what is right--from as many perspectives as possible.

To the person who commented on the disruption of controversial plots, we honestly thought we would be okay since we had strong rabbinic backing, but we underestimated. That's how it goes sometimes. What I CAN tell you is...that I have the most AWESOME plot in mind for the next serial story, be"H. And the best part is that it's not controversial, just very suspenseful and real. Stay tuned!! :-)

And I'm glad you like Behind the Veil. I like it too!

Best,
Riva

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:55 pm
what is behind the veil? I got this week's mishpacha & I have no idea what that is.

realeez  

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 1:57 pm
chaylizi wrote:
what is behind the veil? I got this week's mishpacha & I have no idea what that is.

yeah, me neither What

chavamom  

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 9:42 pm
Sorry - I got my threads mixed up. There is a new Etka Gittel Schwartz story in Bina.

Mommyholic

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 9:47 pm
To quell all your curiosity, Behind the Veil is a serial by Riva Pomerantz in Talking Points, a Lakewood publication. Nice plot. Forget the divorcing like in Green Fences this one's taking it a step ahead-breaking engagements...

Sorry for those of you that are losing out!
Page 16 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 15 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room