Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15 16  17  18  Next

PinkFridge  

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 10:39 pm
BKIND wrote:

On a practical note, with the down turn of the economy and all, I've been wondering how are Betzalel & Huvi supporting themselves now that they no longer have his parents support?!

Write on! Can't wait for the next serial!

Maybe the same way the Green Fences couple supported themselves during the three years of law school ? Twisted Evil (Why didn't anyone find him a shtellar, or a shiur, etc.? But I digress.)
Riva, I really liked your new book Breaking Free, and the Purim spoof brought everyone who read it to tears.
I don't get Mishpacha regularly, just before yomim tovim and maybe three or four times a year. But I'm enjoying this thread and wonder - when Shattered Glass does come out in book form (and I'm sure it will, and I'll read a library copy then), will it be the current form or how you originally planned it?

(My apologies if you mentioned this. I'm catching up on computer stuff after a few days away and confess to doing some skimming.)

Mama Bear  

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 10:42 am
Kudos to Riva, this week's installment is just perfect. The story is progressing, there's some levity and humor and darkness all put in there, and it makes sense. No complaints for this week! Smile

chaylizi  

Post Fri, Mar 19 2010, 2:47 pm
What was last week's? I missed it.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 6:16 pm
Welcome to imamother Riva!! Your stories are great!!
It's so nice to see you on line. Keep up the good work!

chavamom  

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 9:19 pm
chaylizi wrote:
What was last week's? I missed it.

Greta demands Betzalel tell her the truth about what is going on. She then says that she and his father know that the problem is really that flighty little wifey of his and they cut him off in order to force him to see the light and divorce her. She says they will help him make a clean break and start anew and even support him again. Betzalel comes clean and sets her straight and Greta faints (so much fainting going on!).....to be continued.

For those that are wondering...I READ MY NEIGHBOR'S COPY.

chaylizi  

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 9:27 pm
Sorry- meant the week before that.
And chava, I'm shocked. I thought you were boycotting.

chavamom  

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 9:29 pm
chaylizi wrote:

I said I wasn't buying but if it's there, you know I gotta look and see which way the trainwreck is headed.

chaylizi  

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 9:36 pm
chavamom wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

I said I wasn't buying but if it's there, you know I gotta look and see which way the trainwreck is headed.

of course Wink

Justlookup

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 10:16 pm
Wow, its pretty cool that there are posts going on now about SG bec. I absolutely love the story and as I read it on Shabbos (an old issue) I couldnt help but marvel at the author's ability to tug at readers heart-strings with her words, and I go on to imamother tonight (haven't been on in a little while) and see that the author herself joined a discussion bout the serial! Awesome!
I love the serial bec., as I started writing, she writes in such a way that you really feel like ur in the story, like u'r one of the characters - u feel with each of the characters as she's writing their part...especially as a young married woman, you feel the emotions she so realistically brings out in the story between husband and wife.
I also really wish the serial will come out in a book so that I can read the whole thing (and the parts I missed) together...

kalsee

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:25 am
Any update on last week's ? I usually get my mother's after shabbos and she threw it out by mistake...

Grandmama  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:07 am
As I open the page each week to Shattered Glass I automatically begin smiling.
I find the story hysterically funny.
To me it is like a satire of our people's lives, and it is an exaggeration to the point of being very humorous to me. Each character reminds me of certain people I know, and the whole thing together is very funny.
Does anyone else feel that way?

Green Fences was also the same to me, but it reminded me of John Grisham novels at some points.
Those parts were well done. The rest also portrayed our society to a point where it just made me laugh.

I really enjoy the yearly Purim spoof issues as well. Those are great!

To sum up, Shattered Glass to me is the humor section of the Mishpacha. Sad, funny, and unfortunately true sometimes. Spicy, well written, satirical humor. I am not sure what the author intends, but it is a relaxing read, and it feels like we are looking at ourselves in a mirror, not always liking what we see.

mommy7

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:28 am
I giggle when I read Hamodia serials. Although sometimes I thump my head on the table. Teenagers who are told they can't go to the most popular girl's slumber party are less dramatic than a Jewish writer describing a shopping scene at a grocery store.

(Layah viewed the apples with tears in her eyes. How to choose from so many of Hashem's bountiful creations?)

When I was a girl growing up, I refused to read any Jewish books. They were either ridiculously over the top, or the biggest problem in their lives was their lack of bitachon that the gardener would come before Moishy's potential in-laws arrived. Bleh.

Maybe novels are different nowadays. Judging by Hamodia stories, nope. Why can't someone write "Where the Red Fern Grows" in Jewish?

Mama Bear  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 11:37 am
I am still upset, although Riva explained why, why the story's plot TOTALLY changed midway into something rather cliche (mother and son and daughter in law stuff) instead of the real, heartwrenching original story. which was solved without a real solution. people dont 'come back to the derech' so easily. usually such couples get divorced. which is what huvi and betzalel shouldve done many chapters ago.

Grandmama

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 12:23 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I am still upset, although Riva explained why, why the story's plot TOTALLY changed midway into something rather cliche (mother and son and daughter in law stuff) instead of the real, heartwrenching original story. which was solved without a real solution. people dont 'come back to the derech' so easily. usually such couples get divorced. which is what huvi and betzalel shouldve done many chapters ago.

Couples get divorced only if one is doing something terribly wrong and the other one is more frum. But for someone struggling with issues in his head, it can be resolved sometimes. Or there are some people that choose to live with it. Or some couples go off the derech together.... and I even know of some couples that live together but they are not really married, if you know what I mean....

PinkFridge  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 12:41 pm
mommy7 wrote:
I giggle when I read Hamodia serials. Although sometimes I thump my head on the table. Teenagers who are told they can't go to the most popular girl's slumber party are less dramatic than a Jewish writer describing a shopping scene at a grocery store.

(Layah viewed the apples with tears in her eyes. How to choose from so many of Hashem's bountiful creations?)

This is one of the finest lines I have read. Anywhere. Thanks! I needed this.

chavamom  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 3:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
mommy7 wrote:

This is one of the finest lines I have read. Anywhere. Thanks! I needed this.

That is a riot. And so unfortunately true.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 4:07 pm
Ya I'm not a big fan of melodrama either. Or of all this mother in law/daughter in law "literature". Aren't we all over that? Like a while ago?

I do thank the authors of Jewish books and serials for entertaining us, on whichever level that might be.

sarahd  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 4:24 pm
Well, it was explained to us a couple of pages back that there are those for whom melodrama is the definition of good writing. I guess most Jewish writers write for them.

I'm enjoying Dov Haller's story. I'm glad there's one out of three in Mishpacha that I'm still able to read.

chaylizi  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 4:50 pm
is his the convoluted shidduch one that I can't figure out because I missed the beginning?

sarahd  

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 5:32 pm
I guesso. The father doesn't want his daughter to get married so soon so he torpedoes her very nicely progressing shidduch. Currently, his unmarried brother is trying to get it back on the rails. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors.)
Page 15 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 14  15 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room