Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 16  17  18  Next

EvenI  

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 4:58 pm
chaylizi wrote:
EvenI wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
Like I said in one of my previous posts, it's okay to disagree.

Why would you think that I would think that it isn't ok to disagree? Maybe YOU are Riva Pomerantz?

Because you seem pretty disturbed by my opinion. And no, I'm not.

I have a different perspective to yours. I thought it might be of interest. So, I mentioned it. It is ok to disagree, but there is a valuable stage before disagreement where one can consider the other person's point of view. Sometimes, people don't come to disagree, because before they get that far they come to an agreement.

In this case, it's not so disturbing. We aren't going to get divorced, because we aren't married to each other. So, we can relax.

fmt4  

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 7:07 pm
I REALLY hope that the reason why her mother-in-law decided that B is deathly ill is not because her three year old granddaughter said so. Rolling Eyes That would be so completely ridiculous, especially because obviously H doesn't know so where exactly would her granddaughter find it out from? Who in the world believes anything a three year old says??? If that's the case I will stop reading because it's an insult to her readers' intelligence.

lamplighter  

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 7:58 pm
I'm just finding it dragging and way too melodramatic for my realistic self.

flowerpower  

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 9:58 pm
I think people should stop sending letters because it's silly and just enjoy it.

downsyndrome  

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 10:37 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I REALLY hope that the reason why her mother-in-law decided that B is deathly ill is not because her three year old granddaughter said so. Rolling Eyes That would be so completely ridiculous, especially because obviously H doesn't know so where exactly would her granddaughter find it out from? Who in the world believes anything a three year old says??? If that's the case I will stop reading because it's an insult to her readers' intelligence.

Yep. This is how last week's installment finished and I knew it was coming all along. So, we had 2 full pages of melo-drama and then a 3-year-old's comment that brought this all about. Ugh! I have nothing against the actual plot/s, it's just that the story is so stretched and dragged out that it is losing all its' juice and excitement.

EvenI  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 5:42 am
It's poshut that the MIL thinks Bezalel is sick because of what Michal said. No room was left for doubt at all. That's not what we're waiting for. We're waiting for the mess to be untangled.

joy613  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 5:57 am
I also didn't get why Huvi took her MIL's opinion so seriously. All MIL said was she suspects Betzalel has a horrible serious disease, and then Huvi gets all worked up and terrified. For crying out loud, her MIL didn't say she knows he is sick just that she suspects it. At the end of 2 weeks ago, when it ended off with her MIL voicing her suspicions, I assumed that the reaction of Huvi the following week would be to laugh. It was surprising to see her take it so seriously. and such a drama went on. goodness.
wonder what will happen this week. I Hope its a bit more normal

EvenI  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 6:03 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
I also didn't get why Huvi took her MIL's opinion so seriously. All MIL said was she suspects Betzalel has a horrible serious disease, and then Huvi gets all worked up and terrified. For crying out loud, her MIL didn't say she knows he is sick just that she suspects it. At the end of 2 weeks ago, when it ended off with her MIL voicing her suspicions, I assumed that the reaction of Huvi the following week would be to laugh. It was surprising to see her take it so seriously. and such a drama went on. goodness.
wonder what will happen this week. I Hope its a bit more normal

She gets so worked up because she is now feeling generally insecure after allhe shake ups in her life. She doesn't have so much confidence as she usually would have that Bezalel would have told her if he had a serious disease.

Oh dear. I am supposed to be pretending that I'm not Riva. Right?

realeez  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 7:57 am
before I read the last line of the story of how Michal told the MIL, I thought that the MIL was pulling a fast one on Huvi - trying to turn her against Betzalel and be buddy-buddy with her so she can mess things up more between the 2 of them!

EvenI  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 8:17 am
realeez wrote:
before I read the last line of the story of how Michal told the MIL, I thought that the MIL was pulling a fast one on Huvi - trying to turn her against Betzalel and be buddy-buddy with her so she can mess things up more between the 2 of them!

Did you miss the installment that ended with Michal telling her grandmother on the phone that no doctor could ever make her tatty better? (She was repeating what he had said to Huvi on his way out to the therapist.) If you read that, you would have no doubt what was going on all the way through the episode with Huvi and the MIL in the hospital. It was just playing out of the consequences of that unfortunate misunderstanding-filled mini-event.

sarahd  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 8:38 am
That's fine, but when it's so glaringly obvious to everyone what the whole conversation is leading up to, and when most people find a character's reactions unrealistic, that's not good writing.

realeez  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 9:12 am
EvenI wrote:
realeez wrote:

Did you miss the installment that ended with Michal telling her grandmother on the phone that no doctor could ever make her tatty better? (She was repeating what he had said to Huvi on his way out to the therapist.) If you read that, you would have no doubt what was going on all the way through the episode with Huvi and the MIL in the hospital. It was just playing out of the consequences of that unfortunate misunderstanding-filled mini-event.

I wasn't thinking about that until I read the last line where Greta says she knows from Michal. I think I know too many people who enjoy pitting people against each other so that's where those thoughts came from.

EvenI

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 9:47 am
sarahd wrote:
That's fine, but when it's so glaringly obvious to everyone what the whole conversation is leading up to, and when most people find a character's reactions unrealistic, that's not good writing.

Re: the glaringly obvious - it's obviously intentional that the reader knows that the MIL is going to react one way or another to Michal's comment. I don't see what could be bad writing with that. The writer decided to do it that way. We have yet to see where she's going with that. The comment was the dramatic ending to one of the installments. You can't call that bad writing. The reader knew already what was behind the MIL's thoughts. Huvi didn't. That was the drama.

As for most people finding the character's reactions unrealistic, I don't know. We only have a tiny population sample on this thread. I, for one, did not agree that the reactions were unrealistic. We don't know what most people thought.

joy613  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 10:40 am
"Time ground to a screeching halt"
"felt like an earthquake just swallowed up her world"
"looked like she would faint"
"a chilling wisp of air ran up her spine"
"her heart hammered viciously"
"She felt goose bumps break out on her arms"
"Huvi's moment of lightheartedness shattered into smitherreens"

All this plus a lot of stammering and stuttering and trembling... all in one installment. I think it's a bit much and unrealistic if you ask me...

downsyndrome  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 10:41 am
For me, my personal disdain is not so much about the reactions being unrealistic, as my utter dislike for the elementary-school-style drama and elasticity that this story has. It is just shlepping and shlepping and shlepping with lots of hype and fluff and very little substance, as we've seen in last week's installment.

fmt4  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 11:37 am
EvenI wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Re: the glaringly obvious - it's obviously intentional that the reader knows that the MIL is going to react one way or another to Michal's comment. I don't see what could be bad writing with that. The writer decided to do it that way. We have yet to see where she's going with that. The comment was the dramatic ending to one of the installments. You can't call that bad writing. The reader knew already what was behind the MIL's thoughts. Huvi didn't. That was the drama.

As for most people finding the character's reactions unrealistic, I don't know. We only have a tiny population sample on this thread. I, for one, did not agree that the reactions were unrealistic. We don't know what most people thought.

Ok, maybeeee maybeee, if you stretch your mind a lot you can believe that Greta would believe a little girl's stupid comment at first. But the point is, once her MIL sees that HUVI doesn't know about Betzalel being sick than she should OBVIOUSLY realize that whatever MICHAL said is false because where in the world would Michal get such information from if her own mother doesn't know about it? Maybe Betzalel decided to confide in his little daughter and not his own wife? Rolling Eyes
So the writing is bad because it makes Greta look like a complete imbecile.

sofaraway

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 4:26 pm
Honestly, I read only one peisode of it, but it is so so dragged out, I don't understand how you guys have the patience to read it everyweek!
Waiting an entire week to read: "She went to the hospital and her MIL told her she thinks her son is deathly ill". Come on!

sarahd  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 4:43 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
For me, my personal disdain is not so much about the reactions being unrealistic, as my utter dislike for the elementary-school-style drama and elasticity that this story has. It is just shlepping and shlepping and shlepping with lots of hype and fluff and very little substance, as we've seen in last week's installment.

My sentiments exactly. Why do all these stories start off so enticingly and then drag on and on while the audience slowly loses interest and becomes irritated? I had the same beef with Green Fences and the Goldie story.

chaylizi  

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 6:26 pm
I don't even remember the ending of the Goldie story. I must have stopped reading it because it was irritating me.

joy613  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:31 am
chaylizi wrote:
I don't even remember the ending of the Goldie story. I must have stopped reading it because it was irritating me.

There was no real ending. That's probably why you don't remember.
Page 12 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room