Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 16  17  18  Next

write on  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 3:23 am
Hello, everybody! I'm Riva Pomerantz, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the feedback I've been getting--first on Green Fences, and now on Shattered Glass. I decided to write today, after a particularly furious spate of posts, to give you a little perspective and maybe some food for thought.

I see that this string of posts began from an initial shock regarding the plot of Shattered Glass. When I first began Shattered, it did generate some shock since this was a topic not yet discussed in the frum world. In addition to shock, there was also some relief--on the parts of the people going through a situation like Huvi and Betzalel and others who are aware of the problem that exists and wanted to see a forum for addressing it. That is precisely what motivated me to write the story.

Unfortunately, as the story developed, the Cries of the Outraged became too much to bear and I was forced to either stop the story in mid-stream or to completely and totally modify my plot. After extensive, agonizing thought and speaking to many laypeople and rabbonim, I opted to continue the story with a totally new plotline. That is why I shifted into the mother-in-law drama. You could say that I have had to write Shattered Glass with both hands tied behind my back; I still want to provide something or substance to the people out there who are suffering, yet I cannot openly address their issues. I have tried to do the best I can within the framework I have.

There is lots of candidly expressed irritation with the dramatic style of my writing in SG, presumably by upper-crust literary connoisseurs who find it difficult or choking to be subjected to such thick emotion. I actually am intrigued by the drama of the enmeshed and entangled relationships between Betzalel and his mother and Betzalel and Huvi, whose marriage and trust has eroded so that Greta can and will play on it unless she is stopped.

I have many writing styles, as anyone who regularly reads my work will notice, and the melodramatic, emotion-packed one is not for everyone. That is just fine.

I also have been blessed with an ever-thickening thick skin, which is absolutely essential in the writing business where rejection and reader dissatisfaction are par for the course.

HOWEVER, I would be remiss if I did not end this post by pointing out a universal truth much more poignant and integral than whether Shattered Glass is being dragged out or not. Wink

Every person on this forum has been verified as a mother and, more importantly, a Jewish mother. That means what we all share, above and beyond our opinions and beliefs, is Torah and avodas Hashem. Whatever we think, and whatever we feel, we are bound by hilchos shemiras halashon, by the necessity to make a Kiddush Hashem, by dan l'kaf zechus and v'ahavta lereiacha kamocha. Would you tell me the same things you write--to my face, or is it only when you sit behind your computer screens that this kind of dialogue can develop, unchecked? Constructive criticism and feedback is fine; ona'as devarim is a problem.

Now, as we approach Nissan, I find it particularly inspiring for me to remember how, historically, it has been the Jewish mothers that have kept our Nation together and given us hope for Redemption. Imagine what today's technology can do for us in the pursuit of shalom and achdus!

Hope I'm not being too dramatic Surprised !

And if you have real feedback for me, you're welcome to stop kvetching on Imamother and write to me on my website, www.rivapomerantz.com. I'm very good about responding.

Chag kosher v'sameach, and Greta says she's mochel you for saying she's an imbecile!

Riva

willow

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 3:35 am
Riva I love YOU! You are so talented and real

e1234

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 4:37 am
thanks riva!
never posted to this thread before but have been following.
I love your writings. I'd like to see the real story as you planned on doing it in a book!
I'm sure it would be popular. I like real to life fiction

joy613

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 5:05 am
That must have been so frustrating for you to have to change your plotline.
But what's even more upsetting is the fact that there was such a barrage of complaints against the plot.
Why do people want to hide from the truth. Do they really think reading the story would make their children go off the derech?
Such a shame.

write on  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 5:36 am
Thanks so much, Willow. Yeah--that's one thing I can say about myself. I'm real :-).

e1234--Hi! I actually did intend to write out my original plot in book form but for two reasons, both intriguing, that may not happen. The first reason is because I have been advised that the Opposition will not be appeased even if I write this story in book form and I really have no desire to stir up controversy or get myself in hot water. The second reason is because the process of writing this story has been a life-changing one for me. Hearing the stories of the people actually going through this difficult challenge has made a big impact on me--as a person and as a writer. I now regard my original plotline, which was going to be on the "gory" side (as the realistic play-out of these kinds of situations often are), as callously voyeuristic, putting thrill and drama over the hope and help these people really need. My mellowed intent is to give people hope while trying to be as realistic as possible--a real balance! So I don't know if I will do the book. I will see where Hashem leads me. I will try to keep readers posted, though.

Hashem Loves Me--great name! He loves me, too Surprised . It was very, very frustrating for me to change my plot--in fact, it was agonizing and heartbreaking, simply because I really believed in the cause and I had lots of people, including rabbonim, who believed in it, too.

The main objection to the story was that it is being read by young people and there is fear that they will be influenced by the topics and the theme in the story. I have actually interviewed young readers (informally)--and their parents--and the sample study I spoke to were all very enthusiastic about the story and about their children reading it. They felt it was a springboard for important discussion. I am a like-minded parent--I encourage open discussion rather than keeping my children in boxes (because even the most tightly-closed box can spring a pinhole leak!).

Another argument against this fear is that it's very rare and unrealistic for someone to develop a problem simply by reading about someone else's problem, especially given the clear distress in which Betzalel and Huvi were (intentionally) portrayed. There's nothing very attractive about a self-loathing, angst-ridden Betzalel that would make a kid say, "Hey! I'd love some of this, too!" If someone reading a story like SG decides to have a crisis in emunah, we would likely say he had a burgeoning problem to begin with and this was just the last straw. You don't become depressed by reading a book about depression, for example. I had this same issue with my books, Breaking Point and the sequel Breaking Free, which discuss a young adult in turmoil who leaves Yiddishkeit. The same argument was presented by some parents who forbade their children from reading these books because they were fearful of them "getting ideas". Every parent obviously has to think for themselves, and I do respect parents who feel this way.

My intent was not, chas v'shalom, to provoke people into rethinking their values. My intent was only to open the door a crack to make sure this problem is addressed and to encourage us, as a community, to support those who are silently suffering.

Etonnemoi

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:08 am
The absolute worst part of having a writing job is DEALING WITH FLACK.

It doesn't go away, it pops up when you least expect it, it makes you paranoid, it hurts, and makes you wonder if you really aren't a closet apikorus or something, chas v'sholom... :-)

I find myself muttering "consummate professionalism, consummate professionalism" every time I have to deal with it.

Loving your Behind the Veil (Lakewood serial) story. Power on.

Mama Bear  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:15 am
I just want to say: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! RIVA POMERANTZ IS ACTUALLY HERE???!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

(breathing into a paper bag)

In a small voice: hi.

chaylizi  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:50 am
I really liked the original story line & I was very intrigued by it. It's too bad that people are frummer than Rabbanim & weren't okay with it, even after Rabbi Neustadt publicly addressed the issue.

I'm not a big fan of frum ostriches.

chavamom  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 11:56 am
Reading a novel about other people's troubles and crisis make me or my children go off the derech? Highly doubtful. Reading that "the cries of the outraged" have silenced a writer on such an important topic? Yeah, that actually could do a number on some of us. Thank you Riva, I will be writing a letter to Mishpacha telling them why *I* am outraged and will not be buying their magazine anymore. And just when I was about to subscribe too.

chaylizi  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 12:01 pm
I can't wait to read that letter. *If* they even print it.

chavamom  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 12:04 pm
Don't hold your breath.

chaylizi  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 12:11 pm
Don't worry, I'm not. I'll just ask you for it. I'm curious now. You do well at the raging thing, when necessary.

chavamom  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 12:20 pm
LOL

chavamom  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 12:28 pm
The sad thing is a lot of people will sit around and say "what in the WORLD?" and never put pen to paper, but those of righteous indignation that SUCH a TOPIC could be brought into a HEILIGE YIDDISHE HOME most certainly have and will. And that's who's really running the show folks. He who screams the loudest...wins.

realeez  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 4:10 pm
realeez wrote:
bluesclues wrote:
is this serial really done or was that a purim joke?

Total Purim joke (but it seemed like she read Imamother before writing this one!)

I wasn't so far off! 8)

Thank you Riva for at least trying to bring real issues to the front burner!

sarahd  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 4:23 pm
write on wrote:

Every person on this forum has been verified as a mother and, more importantly, a Jewish mother. That means what we all share, above and beyond our opinions and beliefs, is Torah and avodas Hashem. Whatever we think, and whatever we feel, we are bound by hilchos shemiras halashon, by the necessity to make a Kiddush Hashem, by dan l'kaf zechus and v'ahavta lereiacha kamocha. Would you tell me the same things you write--to my face, or is it only when you sit behind your computer screens that this kind of dialogue can develop, unchecked? Constructive criticism and feedback is fine; ona'as devarim is a problem.

I apologize if you were hurt by anything I posted here. I must admit that I would not have had much of a problem saying what I wrote directly to you, although I'm not sure if that works to my favor or detriment. Had I known you were a member here, I could have written you privately. I do think that what most if not all of us wrote was valid criticism...but of course I'm biased when it comes to that.

Parenthetically, how flattered I am to be considered one of the literary cognoscenti of the Mishpacha readership! Wink Finally, an excuse to hold my nose in the air!

self-actualization

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 4:51 pm
Riva - if you're still reading this - I loved, loved, loved the Purim issue. I laughed so hard. I didn't realize until later that it was a spoof - but the whole exchange with his lawyer friend was so over the top! And the friend mentioning his chavrusa the therapist, and Huvi's consistent 5 course meals, and the lunch auctions (vetted by da'as Torah). I tried to get my husband to read it because it was so witty. How crazy would it be to actually say to someone - I would be your friend but I find your put-togetherness too intimidating! All of these insights were very clever. Thank you.

write on  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 5:35 pm
Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome, Mama Bear :-)

Etonnemoi--Yeah, but as I said, it's par for the course, and every job has its perks and unperks. And anyway, I've finally discovered that you can't please everyone so I just aim for pleasing MOST!

Chaylizi--Totally. But don't get fooled into thinking that this is the majority.

Chavamom--Hold your horses. I don't think we can fault Mishpacha for this (and why deprive yourself of a subscription? It's a great mag!). They did the best they could under the circumstances and I don't blame them. Everything has its time, its sha'ah tovah and obviously this was not the right time for full disclosure.

Realeez--Are you psychic? :-)

Sarahd--No clue what you wrote; my long-term memory is really challenged, so no worries. Criticism is, by its very nature, a very subjective animal and discretion is relative. And yes--nose in the air, please!

Self-acualization--I'm so glad you loved the Purim issue. I was laughing so hard writing it and I hoped everyone would get a kick out of it. I love writing the Purim spoof each year. So sad that some people just don't get it. I've had people call up frantically, angry at how the serial had "ended". But that's okay--we like them anyway!

chaylizi  

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 5:46 pm
write on wrote:

Chaylizi--Totally. But don't get fooled into thinking that this is the majority.

They are just the loud minority. If only you had let your readers know you had to change the storyline for that group, you might have unleashed the anger of the masses. I always get exasperated at the letter writers that will criticize anything & everything, I.e. the chanukah table was too gashmiusdik, this story doesn't belong in an adult magazine because I let my kids read it, and so forth... I think we should all be intolerant of everyone who isn't exactly like us. That really exemplifies torah true values, don't you think?

edited because I seem to have made up a word.

Last edited by chaylizi on Thu, Mar 11 2010, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 5:46 pm
Hey Riva, great to see you here. Just wanted to let you know that I love your writing style.
Page 13 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room