Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kashering a dying oven

thehouse

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:14 pm
My oven turns off when it gets hot for too long (it's not a safety feature, it'll do this at random, and probably needs a repair or replacement...once it turned off after being at 350° for an hour).
DH and I know that it's on its way out, and that it wouldn't survive a self-clean kashering, so opted for a 550° kasher for an hour.
The problem is, it (unsurprisingly) keeps turning off.
Does the high temperature need to be consecutively? Or can I let it hit 550° over and over until it's been an hour?

Bonus points of anyone knows what repairs are needed for the oven Very Happy

michimochi

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:25 pm
I'm pretty sure it has to be consecutive. Is 550 halachically acceptable to kasher for Pesach? My oven self-cleans at 800 for a few hours straight...

Not sure about the repair, but my GUESS would be that maybe the thermostat is damaged? BzH it should be as simple for you as replacing a part!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:51 pm
Does the igniter need to be replaced?

thehouse

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:54 pm
michimochi wrote:
I'm pretty sure it has to be consecutive. Is 550 halachically acceptable to kasher for Pesach? My oven self-cleans at 800 for a few hours straight...

Not sure about the repair, but my GUESS would be that maybe the thermostat is damaged? BzH it should be as simple for you as replacing a part!

I was told 550 for an hour is okay for kashering. Self cleaning is probably optimal, but not required.

thehouse

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Does the igniter need to be replaced?

Does that cause ovens to turn off? My oven often hits the expected temperature, but will then decide it no longer wants to be on and will completely power off (it beeps and the clock resets).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:00 pm
Even kashering at 500 is ok.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:04 pm
thehouse wrote:
Does that cause ovens to turn off? My oven often hits the expected temperature, but will then decide it no longer wants to be on and will completely power off (it beeps and the clock resets).

I'm not sure.
When the temperature didn't climb (only reached temp randomly when it wanted to), I knew my igniter needed replacing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:06 pm
It's not your ignitor. If it was the ignitor, it wouldn't get hot, period. I've replaced my ignitor about 3-4 times in the past.
I actually had a very similar problem with my oven a few weeks ago, op, but for me it was preceded by a crack in my interior oven door window. Most of the time the oven would work fine, but if I turned on a high temp, it would randomly shut off, as if there was a power failure. I did a trial run of self clean and realized I would not be able to kasher my oven for Pesach. BH I saw this coming and was able to buy a brand new oven just in time for Pesach. I'm sorry, op, but if you can't run it at a high temperature for a consecutive hour, you will need to come up with another plan. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics