Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How often do you get jewelry?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:36 pm
Can be for a special event, a birthday, or anything else

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:40 pm
Completely varies.
There are years we are more flush. There are years I want something.

To me, this is like asking how often do you get a new shaital. I’m not getting if I don’t want and or we don’t have the cash. Just because I got 6 months ago doesn’t mean I can’t get again if appropriate.

Furthermore, nothing good come from comparing yourself to others.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:44 pm
I agree magenta..there is so much jealousy..and causes so much jealousy and yes, I too get jealous, but I know my husband tried and that’s what counts..

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:47 pm
Never. I buy my own, basically all of it of is costume jewelry.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:54 pm
Almost never. I got a necklace when I got engaged, earrings for one birthday, and no real jewelry since then (married well over 15 years). I bought myself some cheap earrings a few times, and one $50 watch. But I'm not so much into jewelry.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:54 pm
Honestly, my dh bought me jewelry 3 times (eternity band, heart necklace and watch) in 10 years of marriage and I think it's too much. We have zero family help and are trying so so hard to save for a house. Blowing thousands of dollars on jewelry is ridiculous IMO.
I once tried hinting to him in a nice way that in a marriage when someone wants to spend such a large sum they should really consult with their spouse first. But he told me he would lose the element of surprise.

The craziest part is that I dress very simply and very rarely get dressed up so the jewelry basically just sits in my drawer except for maybe 5 times a year

I guess I can always sell it one day if were very desperate.

Simple1

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:57 pm
Expensive jewelry never. If I feel like buying jewelry, I buy cheap nice fakes.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:02 pm
First year of marriage. Like 5-10 diff things then I said stop and only got one more since then.. I get costume/ gold filled love getting a few new things every season. I can easily afford it and my husband would be happy to o get it for me but I don’t see why I should spend the $$j$$$.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:05 pm
I got real jewelry after I have a baby. First time was also for anniversary. So 3 times in 8.5 years

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:07 pm
5 Years ago at my oldest birth. By the time I chose it was technically a pesach gift. It's still beautiful.
My Kallah Jewelry is plenty stylish still, 8/9 years

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:31 pm
BH really happy with my life totally not comparing or jealous just curious

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:50 pm
3.5 yr- eternity band, half tennis necklace, diamond earrings.. some cheaper Jen k type stuff as well

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:55 pm
As a kallah, 2 years later for second anniversary before birth of first child and at 10 year anniversary.
Haven’t received since. No funds and I also don’t wear much with babies who pull necklaces and get irritated by bracelets. I used to wear nice costume jewelry but my babies have broken them so not at the moment.

LeMortedeLilac

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 2:59 pm
All the time. My kids buy me little pieces for my birthday and my husband gets me bigger things for anniversaries. Doesn't mean expensive stuff but my kids love finding things they think I would enjoy. Fir example, last channukah, my husband got me 2 necklaces from my wishlist and my son got me a lovely pair of earrings. The earrings were probably $50. The necklaces, tovether, about 1500. Love both equally. My youngest son got me a necklace last year for my birthday. It was made of seashells. It's perfect and I wear it to see him smile. Not all jewelry is the same and it's more about the meaning behind it, for me.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:19 pm
Real/expensive? Only Kallah stuff and after the birth of my child.... Married for 4 years.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:20 pm
I got a ring during engagement, and earrings in yichud room. Also got a simple necklace during engagement, not diamonds. I don't know why my inlaws didn't go with what's typically done in my circles, but a gift is a gift and I appreciate anything I was given.

Haven't gotten anything since (5+ yrs) We try to save as much as we can and I wouldn't appreciate if we used savings for jewelry.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:21 pm
I feel like after having a baby is such an expensive time, especially if a boy, how do you afford a peice of jewelry at such a time?

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:30 pm
I got a lot when I was a Kallah.

In the first year a few small pieces.

After the births of my children.

I generally “save up” birthdays and anniversaries and every few years will get something. My last big gift was an eternity band for 4K for the birth of my daughter and 5 years of marriage. This Chanukah, 3 years later, I got a beautiful every day diamond bar necklace that stacks nicely with my Shabbos necklace for 1.4k.

The gift before these was for my 25th birthday. I got a pair of diamond flower studs. We went to the diamond district in manhattan and got an awesome price. I wear these every day. Shame the price of gold went up so much!

I love classic pieces and really cherish my small collection.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 3:33 pm
Engagement
4 years
7 years (smaller piece)
8 years (smaller piece)
Ten year anniversary

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 5:10 pm
Tons of nice Diamond jewelry at engagement. Lost most of it after 10 years.
11 years gold weekday necklace ($500)
12 years gold weekday bracelet (100)
3-5 pairs of earrings under $500 throughout the years.
I think it’s a waste to buy diamonds since it can get lost (I’m traumatized) Also the styles changes. I am bored of my weekday jewelry after a few years. I do t regret it because real yellow gold is durable and fake is really bad but you can get nice fake diamonds.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics