Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Jewelry when you're allergic to everything

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 3:10 am
I'm getting increasingly allergic to metals as I'm getting older. To the point that my one pair of 18K gold earrings make me itch, and even my necklaces cause a rash. Definitely can't wear silver.

I'm a kollel wife who appreciates nice things, but I don't want to spend a fortune on jewelry at all - I wish I could wear costume jewelry or just have a pair of pretty hanging earrings that didn't hurt me. Are there any options? I guess I would spend a bit more if I was guaranteed not to react, but definitely not looking for high end or even mid priced jewelry...

anothermother6

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 4:54 am
Are your earrings white or yellow gold? Yellow gold is supposed to be very allergy friendly.
I am also allergic to silver...

SuperWify

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 5:07 am
I have the same problem. I only wear high quality gold. As of now I have one pair of weekday earrings that I got for a milestone birthday and one pair of Shabbos that I got as a Kallah. Im ok with this because I like classic pieces even though sometimes it would be fun to rock a huge fashion statement earring.

I also must give my ears breathing space - not sleep with them always- and clean my earrings even 2 weeks. Hanging earrings are lighter in the ears than studs.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:08 am
Try earrings with surgical steel posts. I have a child who broke out in hives from 18k gold earrings. Several years later someone told us to try the steel and those worked for her.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:10 am
Look for nickel free. Very often people react to the nickel in alloys

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:20 am
For earnings I wear platinum. Everything else causes me to react. But I only have this problem in my earring hole not other jewelry

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:42 am
For dangly earrings, you can switch out the hook for niobium earrings hooks, which are remarkably non-reactive. In my ears, I only don't react to niobium and platinum.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:47 am
Leaf and nasturtium,
Where do you get platinum from? My local jewelry store told me platinum is incredibly expensive.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:19 am
amother Maroon wrote:
Leaf and nasturtium,
Where do you get platinum from? My local jewelry store told me platinum is incredibly expensive.

That's why I usually use niobium instead!

But also, rhodium is in the platinum family, and white gold is commonly rhodium plated. So I can wear rhodium plated white gold, with the caveat that I have to be extremely diligent about getting it replated.

piegirl

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:25 am
I react to everything… really. Every year I try a new website with supposedly non reactive jewelry. For the first time I didn’t react to something! It’s kids jewelry but I don’t care

https://chanteurdesigns.com/

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:30 am
Platinum. Have your jeweler switch out just the earring post of white or yellow gold earrings to platinum. Not cheap, but cheaper than an all platinum pair.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:24 pm
Thank you!

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:37 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
For dangly earrings, you can switch out the hook for niobium earrings hooks, which are remarkably non-reactive. In my ears, I only don't react to niobium and platinum.

Came here to post exactly this. When I was younger I could tolerate stainless steel and gold, but sadly no longer. I've been wearing niobium earring hooks for a few years now with b"h no issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics