Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Dd starting Vyvanse.. what should I know?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 4:23 pm
Dd10 has ADHD and we're about to start her on meds. I've done some research but would appreciate hearing from real-life experience. Both the positive and negative.
Also she barely eats breakfast now (maybe half a bowl of cereal). What should I give her to fill her up for the day once we start meds? Thanks

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 4:28 pm
My skinny 7yr old is on vyvanse. He eats a good breakfast and a nice supper. He doesn't eat school lunch because he doesn't like it (most likely he's not hungry!)
I don't give him his medicine on off days (shabbos and yom tov) and give half a pill on half days (it's chewable so easier to cut). He didn't gain weight all year but gained 3 lbs over the 2 summer months.
It might be an option or not for your dd. Mine only takes it for focusing issues.
He needs at least 2mg of melatonin to fall asleep at a normal hour.
It's helping him in school so I consider the benefits better than the cons.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 4:42 pm
Dh on vyvanse. He really has no appetite while it’s in his system, so he always eats a real breakfast (eggs/avocado, whole wheat toast, etc). He also definitely gets more tense as it wears off. But it was life changing for him!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 5:04 pm
Thanks. This is really helpful. If it's supposed to last around 13 hours, what time should I give it? I was thinking of giving it at 8:35 after breakfast and before we leave, but then it would still be in her system when she goes to bed at 8:30.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 5:20 pm
I'm an adult who was prescribed Vyvanse not long ago.

I was told to take it as early as possible, and not with breakfast. At least 10 minutes before breakfast. Otherwise it can cause nausea. So I get up, wash negelvasser/bathroom, and take the meds right away, and then quickly daven brachos and make myself a good breakfast and eat it before the meds kick in. It's not always so simple (I have three kids who leave before 7:30 am, and little ones who often wake up while I'm trying to get through these few steps), but I've been prioritizing it.

Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)