Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Would you spend $30 for 2yr old dd's haircut?

Lefty

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:31 pm
There's this adorable kids salon in Manhattan Cozy Kids Cuts
I want to go there tomorrow with dd get her haircut there but they charge 30bux for it...
I'm thinking if I should do it.......................I'm SOO tempted but isnt it a LOT of money for such a young girl???

She has long blonde stunning hair but its out of hand already need a nice good shape and layer it up a bit..

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:34 pm
That is very expensive. I used to spend $30 for a wash set and blow as a girl on the first date or for an important wedding, but that's it. For a two year old, that's a lot. Unless she has a terrible fear and they specialize in that, not worth it imo.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:37 pm
no way ...

and if her hair is so stunning why would you chop it off ...

learn to brush nice hairdos ... buy her some pretty barrettes and bows ...

Lefty

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:43 pm
greenfire wrote:
no way ...

Nah she always takes them off and loses it.
I only want to shape it up, and cut short bangs..

Does anyone know how much yiddishe salons take for such an age??
yiddish I mean within our community bp, willi, fat etc...

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:47 pm
I'll do it for $10 - but you gotta bring her to cleveland ... Lady then I'll make sure you don't chop it ...

Fabulous

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:48 pm
Lefty wrote:
greenfire wrote:
no way ...

Nah she always takes them off and loses it.
I only want to shape it up, and cut short bangs..

Does anyone know how much yiddishe salons take for such an age??
yiddish I mean within our community bp, willi, fat etc...

at a salon they might take 15 or 20 but if you take her to someone's house (as I used to go to as a younger girl), they'll probably only take 10 or so.

SingALong

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 11:52 pm
until age 4 I always cut my DD's hair myself, just a straight cut. she has very curly hair so if I did it uneven then you couldnt tell.

her first hair cut age 4 I took her to someone's house and paid $14.

I took her another time somewhere else and paid 12.

for the salon feeling, I blow dry her straight every once in a awhile and she feels great.

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 5:26 am
I personally wouldn't spend that much! We bought clippers and I've been doing all the boy hair around here. Now I just have to get brave and figure out how to cut girl hair. I've just been taking in the girls 2x/year for a $15 haircut. But I really want to learn girl hair!

Tefila

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 9:08 am
greenfire wrote:
no way ...

My philosophy the same as Green I do this for my 4 yr old too. Sometimes we ruin our kids hair chopping it and all way I say leave well enuf alone. If it aint broken don't fix it!!!

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 10:28 am
Lefty wrote:
There's this adorable kids salon in Manhattan Cozy Kids Cuts
I want to go there tomorrow with dd get her haircut there but they charge 30bux for it...
I'm thinking if I should do it.......................I'm SOO tempted but isnt it a LOT of money for such a young girl???

She has long blonde stunning hair but its out of hand already need a nice good shape and layer it up a bit..

We used a similar place when DS was younger. Its set up entirely for young kids, with child-sized chairs (sometimes even shaped like, eg, cars), and usually videos at each work station. The hairdressers are also used to working with young kids, and do it well.

My experience with low-end, inexpensive hair places is that they do well if you want a basic cut -- a clipper or bowl cut for boys, straight bob with bowl-cut bangs for girls. Beyond that, while you'll occasionally get lucky, its rare.

If you can afford it, its a treat. Go for it. Enjoy. Take her for an ice cream afterwards.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 10:32 am
I think it's expensive, but as Barbara says, if you can afford it and it's a treat, why not? How often are you going to do it? If they do a nice layering job and you just have to trim it a bit afterward, or bring her somewhere else, or just do it a couple of times/ yr. why not? Otoh, those places are too fancy for me.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 10:33 am
2 year old dd just got a haircut yesterday for ten bucks by a nice place in bp. I think thirty is a lot.

imokay

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 10:51 am
in answer to your question, no.
to me it's not amatter of affordibility but rather the matter of wasting of money. no matter how much money I might (or might not) I see this as a waste.
but if it's important 2 u, and it probably is bc u r asking, then who am I to tell u how 2 spend your $?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 10:53 am
Why would you layer a child's hair ? It's going to grow out quickly and then you'll face this dilemma again.

I only had dd's hair cut twice a year, before Pesach and before Rosh Hashanah. I saved a lot of money and time that way. I would have it cut about jaw length and she could wear a headband to keep it out of her face; as it grew she'd put it back in a ponytail.

melalyse

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 8:58 pm
I took DS to a place like this for his first haircut @ 2 and a half. I thought that a regular place would not be equiped to deal with a 2 yr old freaking because it is his first haircut. The place that we went to was wonderful. She cut his hair while he was standing and playing with trains, and she was on her knees. It cost me 28 dollars. His next 2 haircuts were by a regular barber for 10 dollars.

ss321

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 9:19 am
that place IS really cute. Unless your 2 year old is like terrified of haircuts or something, so sitting in the fun chairs at that place will help make her experience tolerable, I would wait till she was 4 or 5, when she could actually appreciate it. but thats just my 2 cents.

louche

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 9:47 am
Wouldn't dream of it. A total waste of money at that age unless you're auditioning her as a child model or actress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains