Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much do you spend on pesach groceries on average?
Previous  1  2

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:46 pm
3-4k family of 5. We like good meat we buy some readymade cake/ cookies it’s Yomtov…

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:48 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Don’t you need to buy salt, sugar, spices, new coffee, tea…. Everything!

some of those need to be new, some of those need to be klp, some of those you can keep using the one you were using

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 3:28 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Don’t you need to buy salt, sugar, spices, new coffee, tea…. Everything!

Not everything. And we are 3 people in our family, so we dont need all that much. And we buy what we know we will eat, so even if lets say we know we will bake, its a bag or matzah meal, one container of sugar etc. Its like buying these things when we run out on a regular weekday shopping.
One box of tea etc.

lostmyoldSN

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 4:00 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not everything. And we are 3 people in our family, so we dont need all that much. And we buy what we know we will eat, so even if lets say we know we will bake, its a bag or matzah meal, one container of sugar etc. Its like buying these things when we run out on a regular weekday shopping.
One box of tea etc.

Ya but for me, I likely still have the ones I use for the year, but I am going to buy new spices for general cooking like garlic granules (don't like powder), paprika, pepper, oregano, salt, a new sugar, a new cocoa, a new bottle of lemon juice, ketchup, mayo... IDK I find it adds up.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 4:14 pm
lostmyoldSN wrote:
Ya but for me, I likely still have the ones I use for the year, but I am going to buy new spices for general cooking like garlic granules (don't like powder), paprika, pepper, oregano, salt, a new sugar, a new cocoa, a new bottle of lemon juice, ketchup, mayo... IDK I find it adds up.

Again, I buy what we know we will use. I dont use that many spices. And also, again, we are 3 people in our family, so whats a container of ketchup, mayo, cream cheese, bbq sauce. its not going to add up to much more than when I am restocking things on a regular week day.

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 4:15 pm
Haven't bought this year yet.

Last year we spent the equivalent of 1500 usd for two families (4 adults + 10 children) plus some other guests for meals. Including matzas, wine, meat, chicken. In Israel so we had one fewer day of Pesach overall and one day of chol hamoed instead of a yom tov day (but we did eat on that day!)

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 5:46 pm
For spices and toothpaste/other products I need less than a full amount of, I buy a few each year and keep them in storage so that over a few years I build up a good amount.
Last year I threw out most spices so need to replace them.

Paperware/foil containers are kept outside my kitchen in clean storage so I only bring what I use into the kitchen, so can use those year round. I am super careful to keep that area clean the whole year just for the convenience over Pesach.

Bh this year we are eating out most meals so will be basics only.

renslet

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 7:41 pm
How do you keep track of expenses? And especially in advance.
I never have a clue. I bought wine a month or two ago when it was on sale. Chicken and meat I could track, but fruit and veg I keep on buying more.
We don't use anything processed (except olive oil and salt) so I don't do much grocery shopping but otherwise I literally have no idea.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 8:53 pm
Ruchel wrote:
some of those need to be new, some of those need to be klp, some of those you can keep using the one you were using

What can you continue to use that came in contact with chometz?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 9:17 pm
I calculate the cost of Pesach altogether so I include clothing, activities as well as groceries and for my family of 6, it’s usually about $3-4,000

amother
Freesia

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 9:28 pm
We're 6 people with some guests some meals. In our community people bring their own wine and matza if they are a guest.
We don't eat any processed foods so all we buy in the grocery is course salt, eggs, matza and wine.
We buy 2 cases of wine, 1 case of grape juice, 1 case of eggs, and then tons of produce. Roasts, whole chicken, sides of salmon.
We try and keep it to under $1500 by shopping sales from a month early.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 10:23 pm
Maximum of 2000 nis. But this includes buying meat in bulk that will last us 4 months, grape juice that will last us 5 months and gluten free matza for two years. These are just the sizes they come in with the sale we order from. So about $550 in usd.

I also need sandals for the kids and dh and some clothing for my teen and me.

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Apr 06 2024, 10:30 pm
Not sure I buy in spurts. So far I spent about $600. Probably altogether closer to $1500 or so.

That doesn't include wine. I bought 6 cases of wine Purim time to last as long as it does. (We have bh a few simchas coming up)

Matza I bought bingo

I enjoy cooking for pesach and tend to go overboard.

Family of 6 eaters. Not sure I am even home though whole thing yet but for sure first half.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics