Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do u assume ppl turn off their phones @ nite?
1  2  Next

Is it rude to text late at night?
It's fine, ppl shd know to use do not disturb  
 46%  [ 68 ]
I wd never, s/o may forget & you'll wake them  
 16%  [ 24 ]
No, don't.  
 8%  [ 13 ]
It's fine, everyone does.  
 13%  [ 19 ]
Only if very important, write urself a note!  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Other (please explain!)  
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 146

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 12:29 am
I'm curious what people think. (I'm from the older generation so perhaps not so fluent in texting etiquette.!)

If you think of a random question for your relative, friend (or therapist!) Late at night / early morning, would you text in the assumption that if they're sleeping, their phone is off?

(Let's say excluding close relatives whom you know to keep their phone on at night because of having an elderly or ill parent etc.)

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 12:31 am
I think people use sleep mode. It turns off notifications for the selected night hours.
I would send a text at night instead of calling if I want to get a message to them by the morning.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 12:32 am
I try not to because I know some don’t have it off. But many send me messages at all hours. I’ll only send to specific ones that I know silence their phones.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 12:53 am
I would assume that if someone is sleeping, they don't hear their messages, just like me. I don't hear when my phone pings or buzzes at night for messages (it isn't very loud).

I like waking up to messages in the morning, especially on what'sapp from my family OOT who got up 3+ hours before me.

I would never call someone at night, but I think it's fine to text.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:03 am
I assume people turn off their whastapp/text notification sounds at night, but I would never call someone late unless it is an emergency.

Reality

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:07 am
Depends on the relationship. I would message a friend, family member or close coworker late at night. My supervisor at work or a therapist? No. It can wait til business hours unless it's an emergency.

ganmama

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:35 am
I text/whatsapp people regardless of what time it is where they are. I assume they will see it when they wake up in the morning.
I would only call at a time I thought someone might be sleeping if there was an emergency.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:22 am
I turn my phone on sleep mode and don’t always see my messages in the morning so if you message me after 10 pm chances are I might not see the messages at all not even in the morning

I think it’s rude to message someone other than close family after 10:30-11 pm

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:31 am
Yes I assume they do.

I work evenings and sometimes into the night so often have to message on company whatsapp groups when everyone else is likely sleeping. It's expected that they turn off their notifications, I have no other way to notify them of important orders to take care of first thing in the morning.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:42 am
Some people do and some don’t. I used to not be so careful when I text. But now our family is going through medical issues with an elderly parent, we are all on alert and at least some of us are awakened by 3am emergency texts. So I try only to text at decent hours. I did hear that it’s healthier to sleep with the phone not near you at night, but not everyone is careful like that.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:17 am
I would only post a late night message a on a group whatsapp chat, because those are often muted in general.
But a personal text message or whatsapp, I would never send in middle of the night. Its not like an email!
Texts nowadays are pretty much instead of a phone call, amd no certainly not everyone shuts their phone at night- especially the younger generation that so many of us dont have landlines

Rappel

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:21 am
I assume they muted their phone, unless I specifically know they didn't

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:07 am
Depending on the relationship and their schedule.
If I know a close friend's up late hours I wouldn't think twice. Anyone else can usually wait till morning.
I don't hear my phone's notifications at night either but idk, I'd rather not risk waking someone who does hear them.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:31 am
The only reason my phone’s Do Not Disturb feature turns on at 10 pm: I don’t want to hear from any idiots who think it’s okay to call after that.

And yes, it’s set so mom and sons can still reach me.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:32 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
The only reason my phone’s Do Not Disturb feature turns on at 10 pm: I don’t want to hear from any idiots who think it’s okay to call after that.

And yes, it’s set so mom and sibs can still reach me.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:32 am
Double post

zaq

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:50 am
I don't speculate as to what ppl do, but I do assume that if they're sleeping they have some mechanism to prevent being wakened by their cell phone. At the very least they would turn off the sound, no?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:52 am
I think it's rude to text non important messages in the night.
I turn off my phone for the night, but I have a house phone.
Most people I know, don't turn their phone off for the night.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:53 am
Isn’t that the whole point of text? Send it when you want/remember and they respond at their own convenience.

My phone sometimes goes into sleep mode sometimes not but I don’t look at it after 11 usually so if I get a text after that I ignore it. If it’s an emergency they can call my landline.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:51 am
Many phones/message apps have scheduled option. So you can set it up for your test to be sent at 8.52 am

The only reason I don't text is if I don't want them to know I was up at 3am. Otherwise I text
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette