Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Edison/Highland Park imas

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 7:43 am
We are looking into different communties- what can you tell me about Edison?

Mostly, are there young people there? How yeshivish? Is there a kollel?
What are the schools like? The kosher stores?
What is the mikva like? Is there a bodekes? How do people get niddah shailos answered?
Also, aesthetically, what is Edison like (I know we will have to check it out)

amother
Firebrick  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 8:05 am
Basically there’s a modern orthodox and yeshivish community living side by side. It’s basically an out of town sized community - 1 class in the boys school and 1 class in the girls school per grade. 1 small kollel plus the yeshiva. 1 small kosher grocery plus a decent selection of basics in the regular grocery stores. There’s lots of green space and most people have backyards. Some of the houses are 100 years old, and some are brand new.
The mikvah is small and gorgeous. They only check if you ask. We ask niddah to our shul rav

Basically it’s the feel of OOT with the convenience of being an hour away from in town for shopping.

What else can I answer for you?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 9:25 am
Thank you this is so helpful.

Are there playgroups for the kids before they start school, like in a mother's house?
Are there young families (20s)?
If so/for the kollel families, are there apartments that they rent or everyone has houses?
Is the neighborhood considered safe or high crime?

Do you know if there is a bodekes

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 20 2024, 10:15 pm
bump

amother
Catmint

Post Yesterday at 10:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you this is so helpful.

Are there playgroups for the kids before they start school, like in a mother's house?
Are there young families (20s)?
If so/for the kollel families, are there apartments that they rent or everyone has houses?
Is the neighborhood considered safe or high crime?

Do you know if there is a bodekes

Yes there are playgroups - but perhaps not as many as in other communities, you should speak to someone who sends for details about if it’s hard to get a spot.
Yes there are young families, some in houses and some in apartments (eg orchard gardens, some in multi family houses with one apartment per floor). There are a number of new younger kollel couples who just moved in.
The neighborhood is pretty safe BH.
I don’t know of a bodekes but I’m not in that parsha. I do know that one of the older kollel members has trained in maros and answers Shaylas, in addition of course to all the shul rabbanim.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 12:09 pm
Thank you so much!!

amother
  Firebrick

Post Yesterday at 12:20 pm
I know of 1 lady that runs a 1 year old playgroup and 1 2 year old playgroup, plus one of the schools has an infant program, one starts at 2, and theres a Jewish but not frum daycare.

There are plenty of young families. They generally start in orchard gardens or similar apartment complexes, but some go straight to smaller houses.

It's considered a pretty safe neighborhood- crime is basically burglery.

I've never been sent to a bodekes, so I wouldn't know. My guess is though that you would have to shlep to Passaic or Lakewood.

amother
Nectarine

Post Yesterday at 2:01 pm
We moved in over the summer and are super happy. It's really the best of both worlds, out of town feel but with everything you need and less than an hour or hour max from so many in town places. We are also super happy with the schools!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating