Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
In going crazy from my teen girl
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:26 pm
I'm so ready to ship her off to boarding school. My oldest and 15 for reference She is constantly texting her friends about how horrible I am. She is super self centered. Makes a huge deal about staying home w the younger kids (even though most of them don't need babysitting, and self entertain well). Spends as much time as possible at her friend.
But what's really hurting, besides the slandering me, is she told me she pretends she has another mother cuz she doesn't feel like she can talk to me.
I try my best. My other kids all say I'm a great mom. I really spend my life caring for them all. I give her so much, more than my other kids
- she has her own room, went to sleepaway camp (my other kids dont), has a guitar, etc. I try to give her everything she asks for etc. I told her she can talk to me anytime about anything
She still hates me.
And I'm in so much pain from it
Rant over
Helpful advice only pls

amother
Orange  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:28 pm
Maybe she’s just doing it to get negative attention from you. Did you try spending quality time just carving out time to spend together? Sounds like a cry for help to me.

amother
Amethyst  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm so ready to ship her off to boarding school. My oldest and 15 for reference She is constantly texting her friends about how horrible I am. She is super self centered. Makes a huge deal about staying home w the younger kids (even though most of them don't need babysitting, and self entertain well). Spends as much time as possible at her friend.
But what's really hurting, besides the slandering me, is she told me she pretends she has another mother cuz she doesn't feel like she can talk to me.
I try my best. My other kids all say I'm a great mom. I really spend my life caring for them all. I give her so much, more than my other kids
- she has her own room, went to sleepaway camp (my other kids dont), has a guitar, etc. I try to give her everything she asks for etc. I told her she can talk to me anytime about anything
She still hates me.
Rant over
Helpful advice only pls

Read the book Running on empty no more

Sometimes itself more about how we do things and not what we do.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:31 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Maybe she’s just doing it to get negative attention from you. Did you try spending quality time just carving out time to spend together? Sounds like a cry for help to me.

I do as much as I can. I have a bunch of little kids who also require my attention. We do sometimes go shopping together, watch movies together, etc. When she has free time, she prefers to hang w friends than w me.

Frumomsi

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:34 pm
You are her mom. Whether she pretends otherwise or not. I’m not sure why she has her own room, goes to camp and has a guitar when the others don’t. Did she earn those privileges? Getting things you don’t earn can have a strangely negative outcome.

Unless she has an issue that needs professional attention, I would recommend you ignore as much as possible but absolutely set down firm but fair rules and expectations. Then try your best to “catch her being good” and give her positive attention BUT only if she earns it.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:34 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Read the book Running on empty no more

Sometimes itself more about how we do things and not what we do.

Looks interesting, I'm ordering it

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do as much as I can. I have a bunch of little kids who also require my attention. We do sometimes go shopping together, watch movies together, etc. When she has free time, she prefers to hang w friends than w me.

Teenagers often do prefer friends to their mom. Google it. That’s totally normal.

boysrus

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
She still hates me.
Rant over
Helpful advice only pls

Im so sorry oP
how long has it been like this for? Does she have any personality issues, is she a difficult person to get along with in in general, in other words , is it just her reliatonship with you , or is it with other people too? Is she a similar personality to you, or is she very different from you?
Also, does she have a lot of responsibilities at home, that maybe she is resentful of?

can you invite her to go out with you alone sometimes? to help build your relationship back again...

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Sep 10 2024, 11:48 pm
Semi similar child w/ few diagnosis .
Is there an underlining diagnosis ?

amother
Linen  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 12:04 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

She sounds kind of normal but OP should work on building a better relationship with her.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 12:09 am
I see myself in her. Poor kid, poor mom. I’m sure she’s in a lot of pain. It’s a tough situation all around.

chestnut

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 12:15 am
amother OP wrote:

Your last point is so normal for her age, please don't get offended.

boat

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 12:24 am
I think there's a phase where the girls need to get used to being back at home. Coming from camp where there is no structure and then arriving home to house rules, healthy food and where everything is not always main activity/trips/fun and games takes time to adjust to. I think give it a but more time to get into regular routine.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:03 am
chestnut wrote:
Your last point is so normal for her age, please don't get offended.

I'm so not offended, all good

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:04 am
amother Linen wrote:
She sounds kind of normal but OP should work on building a better relationship with her.

I try and try and try

amother
Blonde  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:04 am
Op what was she like as a younger child?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:09 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

She was in therapy for a year or two. She always says she is depressed but the therapist says she does not have clinical depression and does not need meds. She graduated her from therapy (a yr ago) and my daughter says she doesnt want to see a therapist anymore. But she always says "I'm not normal"
Thought abt it all night. I want to know if she is a typical teen going thru teen stuff or if she should really be in a special program with more mental/emotional health support. Til today I always thought the first and just can't wait for her to mature and be pleasant. But now I wonder if she needs more

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:13 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Op what was she like as a younger child?

Great. Wonderful. Smart, social butterfly, happy.
And she is still all of above except for happy. She has low self esteem even though I try everything to boost it. Idk if it's on purpose and trying to get negative attention or how else to boost it. She has loving family, parents, grandparents, friends. Everything she asks for. Her own phone, her own room, etc. I really try to make her happy
If you ask her she will say she is miserable, has self hate, full of shame, hates me, hates school, hates life

amother
  Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Great. Wonderful. Smart, social butterfly, happy.
And she is still all of above except for happy. She has low self esteem even though I try everything to boost it. Idk if it's on purpose and trying to get negative attention or how else to boost it. She has loving family, parents, grandparents, friends. Everything she asks for. Her own phone, her own room, etc. I really try to make her happy
If you ask her she will say she is miserable, has self hate, full of shame, hates me, hates school, hates life

Bullying, cyberbullying, SA?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 7:18 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
Bullying, cyberbullying, SA?

None. I'm sure
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children