Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Which of these floorpans? (office/bathroom addition)

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 3:43 pm
These are the two options I have for an addition I am planning to build onto my bedroom. Both also include a little desk/office area to be used occasionally by myself or my husband to WAHM when the public areas of the house are too busy (kids home, etc.). And a bathroom with the minimum footprint that I could come up with, since there's not a lot of outdoor area out there and I don't want to use it all up on the addition.

One option has a wall immediately behind the desk, and the door to the bathroom a little further out--I don't like that it brings the addition really close to the round window facing it (my daughters' bedroom). I also doesn't like that the door opens out into an area of the yard that is already more public. But does having that extra space there make the desk area substantially more functional?

Or is the kind of thing that in in any case if my husband is let's say using the desk and I need to squeeze behind him to get to the bathroom, we'll equally find ourselves in each other's way--might as well go with the more minimal design. I'm leaning towards that, but I guess I wonder what others think.

I would love any input!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 3:48 pm
I don't see measurements but can you put the chair back against the wall & face the bathroom wall, not the door, you can hang art on that wall across from desk chair and make an L shaped mini desk? Maybe even that folds in under the side peice when not in use.

T h en when closed it will look like a chair & a side table.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 4:33 pm
I’m not sure I understand. are you looking at the first picture I posted here?

if I understand what you’re saying here—I don’t think there’s really room to do that unless we widen the hallway and allow the addition to extend further into the yard than it it is projected to do now. I’d rather not do that, especially as I don’t really expect or need this to be a full-fledged office space but more a place where one of us can occasionally retreat to with a laptop.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 4:53 pm
I would do the first one- the second one seems very tight with both doors and the desk

amother
Tealblue  

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 5:35 pm
It doesn't look like you're getting much extra useable space with the first deisgn. Might as well go with the second if it will make you feel happier.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Sep 01 2024, 7:45 pm
I think the 2nd one.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:57 am
bump? I’m having such a hard time deciding

Last edited by amother on Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:08 am
I’m wondering in general why you aren’t continuing with the curves that are so prominent in the original house?
I guess it’s the back and you don’t want to use more space?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:19 am
I like the second layout. I think that avoiding that extra piece of wall near the outside door will give the hallway a more open feel. It also won't block any sunlight from your daughters windows.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 1:53 pm
thanks, guys! I appreciate each answer. oxfordblue of course you are saying what I kind of think... I'm a little scared though to do something as "crazy" as having a bathroom door open directly behind an intended workspace (even though we don't do many Zooms).

doodles mom yes it's in the back of the house. I don't have a passionate skilled architect working with me to create harmonious architecture, and I definitely don't know myself what to do to incorporate curves--so I'm just focused on keeping the footprint small where it just won't be noticeable from most other angles where it will be seen.

amother
  Tealblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks, guys! I appreciate each answer. oxfordblue of course you are saying what I kind of think... I'm a little scared though to do something as "crazy" as having a bathroom door open directly behind an intended workspace (even though we don't do many Zooms).

doodles mom yes it's in the back of the house. I don't have a passionate skilled architect working with me to create harmonious architecture, and I definitely don't know myself what to do to incorporate curves--so I'm just focused on keeping the footprint small where it just won't be noticeable from most other angles where it will be seen.

Re: bathroom door and zoom. Presumably the door will be closed if someone is using it. And if someone need to use the bathroom during a call, they'd be seen on the camera walking to/from the bathroom either way, regardless of door location.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 2:46 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Re: bathroom door and zoom. Presumably the door will be closed if someone is using it. And if someone need to use the bathroom during a call, they'd be seen on the camera walking to/from the bathroom either way, regardless of door location.

yes that is my thinking too. I’m getting advice in the opposite direction though—so it helps me that you also see this too.

I guess if we would do the plan with the extras hall space, presumably someone could come in from the exterior door if they wanted to access the bathroom without disturbing… but really I just don’t anticipate it being a problem very often, at least as far zoom. could be if my husband would be working late at night I’d be in and out of the bathroom behind him which might be uncomfortable for us regardless of zooms.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 4:59 pm
If someone was on a zoom call, can that area be off limits so no bathroom usage etc? Or is that not feasible?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 3:51 am
well, it's technically feasible. it's me and my husband. but if my husband is working late at night it will definitely be annoying for me to be shut out of our bathroom/shower when I want to get ready for bed. not impossible though.

he says that if he does have a zoom call, he can use a background so that what's behind him doesn't really show--but it's not something we have experienced, so I don't know how reliable that is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics