Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Redo bathroom prices

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:47 am
If you recently redid a bathroom (Lakewood area), how much did it approximately cost?

Am I dreaming about only spending $10,000?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:51 am
For one bathroom??

We did in monsey and it was well below that. Depending on bathtub/ glass for shower and fixtures etc that will make a big difference.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:58 am
amother Slategray wrote:
For one bathroom??

We did in monsey and it was well below that. Depending on bathtub/ glass for shower and fixtures etc that will make a big difference.

Im in monsey looking to redo a bathroom and people are telling me theyve done between 15-20k!!
Did you do your bathroom recently?
Can I ask who you used?

amother
Mustard  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:00 am
amother Peach wrote:
Im in monsey looking to redo a bathroom and people are telling me theyve done between 15-20k!!
Did you do your bathroom recently?
Can I ask who you used?

Yes same no way is 10k accurate today

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:01 am
If its a full bathroom, with tiles, tub etc be prepared for about 15k. 10k is really calling it close.

amother
  Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:01 am
amother Slategray wrote:
For one bathroom??

How long ago , weve had now about 7 estimates and well below 10k was not a single one of them, in monsey

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:11 am
Even the least expensive bathroom is going to cost more than $10,000.

Bathrooms are probably the most expensive room to renovate because of all the expensive skilled labor that is require - plus the amount of expensive items. Everything adds up because you don't realize how much you need because you don't think about it.

That said, the most basic bathroom would probably be between $15,000 to $20,000. This would be the equivalent of "builder grade" - no tile - prefab shower - probably tub shower combination - least expensive fixtures with no upgrades.

A "middle of the line" bathroom with nicer fixtures and finishes is probably at least $35,000

To give some sense of cost, a tiled shower properly built so it is waterproof costs between $8000 and $10,000. A nice vanity is at least $3000 if not more. And so forth.

https://sweeten.com/renovation.....rsey/

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:30 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Even the least expensive bathroom is going to cost more than $10,000.

Bathrooms are probably the most expensive room to renovate because of all the expensive skilled labor that is require - plus the amount of expensive items. Everything adds up because you don't realize how much you need because you don't think about it.

That said, the most basic bathroom would probably be between $15,000 to $20,000. This would be the equivalent of "builder grade" - no tile - prefab shower - probably tub shower combination - least expensive fixtures with no upgrades.

A "middle of the line" bathroom with nicer fixtures and finishes is probably at least $35,000

To give some sense of cost, a tiled shower properly built so it is waterproof costs between $8000 and $10,000. A nice vanity is at least $3000 if not more. And so forth.

https://sweeten.com/renovation.....rsey/

Wow thank you

amother
Cinnamon  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow thank you

Is there an existing bathroom or are you doing Plumbing also?
I can look up actual receipts because I'm doing this right now.
ETA- and electric do you need to run new electric and new HVAC into this room or are you just changing fixtures in places that it is basically already there/ or adding in nearby?

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:35 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Is there an existing bathroom or are you doing Plumbing also?
I can look up actual receipts because I'm doing this right now.

Our sink is leaking and toilet is always clogged so not sure if we need to take out everything... But redoing an existing, moldy, yucky bathroom

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:39 am
It really depends on the size of the bathroom and if you are moving the existing plumbing and lighting. If it's a smaller bathroom and you're keeping existing locations it can be 10k. If you need to replumb and everything plus it's large, it'll be more.
Tile materials and install alone can be 8k on a large bathroom. Obviously there's ways to go cheaper with everything...

Amarante  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Our sink is leaking and toilet is always clogged so not sure if we need to take out everything... But redoing an existing, moldy, yucky bathroom

Are you redoing a moldy bathroom or do you just want to deal with the specific issues?

How is the sink leaking? From the pipes below the sink? That is a basic repair a plumber or even a DIY can do?

A plumber can also let you know what your toilet is constantly clogged. If it is an old toilet the traps and drains might have gotten smaller from debris adhering which essentially makes the drains very narrow. This was true of my "elderly" toilet before I remodeled. After the remodel I replaced it with a Toto and I have not had a clog in over 5 years KH LOL

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:44 am
amother Tomato wrote:
It really depends on the size of the bathroom and if you are moving the existing plumbing and lighting. If it's a smaller bathroom and you're keeping existing locations it can be 10k. If you need to replumb and everything plus it's large, it'll be more.
Tile materials and install alone can be 8k on a large bathroom. Obviously there's ways to go cheaper with everything...

In my personal experience with a gut remodel of two bathrooms, size isn't really a huge factor in the cost of a bathroom remodel.

This is because most of what is expensive is the same whether a bathroom is large or small. You have a toilet, you have a vanity - you have a tub or tub shower or a shower. The electrician and the plumber essentially comes in and it takes the same amount of time. You need faucets and you need shower/tub fixtures. The tile installer is there and charges. The glass door enclosure is the same.

What costs more is finishes but the advantage of a small bathroom is that you can splurge on more expensive finishes because you didn't need as much of them.

That is why even the least expensive bathroom is quite expensive.

amother
  Cinnamon

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:44 am
amother OP wrote:

Okay so here's actual invoices.
For a local Jewish bath store: $3700 est
This included:
a basic toilet
Little nicer than standard tub
Semi custom 32-in vanity
Nicer than standard bronze trims on sink & in tub
Towel ring
Robe hook

Tiles (I did half up plus full bath wall), low- medium pricing ($5-8 sf): $1900. Add more for floor to ceiling.
Assume installation another 2-2.5k
Lighting: 2 sconces plus spots: about $600 plus a bit more for work

The plumbing and painting is part of a larger total for other work I'm doing but I can't imagine for 1 room it's thousands of $$s

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 9:46 am
10 k sounds right. We did tilt using cheap tiles but very very beautiful white tile with grey marble
I did floating vanity $350 and nice round huge mirror with light built in medicine cabinet(200) very modern looking but wasn't so expensive
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics