Something in between  
 39%  [ 41 ]
Other - comment below  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 105

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:38 pm
I see on the other thread people answering how much they spend on food/groceries.

I can't answer because I don't know how much we spend. I could sit down and calculate, but I don't have the number handy. I know we could cut back, but I don't know the exact amount.

We don't have an exact budget, but we do discuss larger purchases.

Anyone else like me?

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:41 pm
Yes I'm like u

amother
DarkViolet

Even if you don't have a budget don't you know how much you generally spend?

amother
Hyacinth

Can you add a poll? I think it would be interesting

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:44 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Can you add a poll? I think it would be interesting

Added!

amother
Candycane  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:46 pm
No budget. I have an app that calculates exactly what we spend and in what category. We usually spend similar amounts every month. We know exactly what’s coming in and going out

amother
Bisque  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:47 pm
I don't know how much we spend
I'd love to know
I'm going to keep track for September
I'd guess we spend somewhere between $500-$1000 on groceries and misc each month
Family of 4 in lakewood

amother
  Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:47 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
No budget. I have an app that calculates exactly what we spend and in what category. We usually spend similar amounts every month. We know exactly what’s coming in and going out

Is it free? What app is it

amother
  Candycane

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:48 pm
amother Bisque wrote:

Ya, it’s the fidelity app. I linked my 2 cards that we put all expenses on.
I happen to have an account with them because my retirement fund is there and they offer this service

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:48 pm
amother Bisque wrote:

We used to use mint but we use quicken simplifi now. Not free and not as good as mint but it works

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:49 pm
amother Bisque wrote:

Not that poster but I use the rocket money app for this. I use the free version and spend a few minutes each month categorizing the items that the app isn’t sure about. It works great for me.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 2:58 pm
No budget. I’m very careful
With money and always buy on sale. But one month I could spend 1000$ on kids shoes from Zappos and return $900 worth. Or I stick up on Costco snacks or sale meat or whatever but the next weeks I’m living off that .

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 3:00 pm
I use rocket money since mint shut down

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 3:03 pm
No budget. I just try to spend as little as possible and save as much as possible. 10% of income to charity. 10% of paycheck to savings right off the top. Everything else, comparison shop, stock up at sales, think twice before plunking down money, live simply, care nothing for what "everyone" else does or calls a "must have."

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 3:14 pm
No budget but I pay the credit card every month so I know what we average. I'd estimate we spend 4-5k on our credit card per month. This includes everything but bills and tuition.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 4:47 pm
No. Dh and I split grocery costs, I pay our local makolet bill every month, he buys in a different place for Shabbat and things they don't have in the makolet. The amounts must be similar, but we've never done the math. We both work.
I have a vague idea what it adds up to. Things like children's clothes and equipment I buy as needed but don't keep track.
We are not rich, by the way.
While we totally don't keep track and don't budget, we are both frugal by nature and nearly always stick to a less-and-cheaper policy. It's an automatic thing. Most months I come out with a plus, meaning I spend less than I earn.
We eat cheaply and Israeli style, no chicken, meat or fish on most weekdays. No take out. No brand clothing, with very few exceptions.

sara1232

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 4:54 pm
I don't have a budget, but ik I spend around $200 a week from my grocery receipt (I only go to the grocery once a week).

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 5:04 pm
No budget but we spend very minimal because we still owe money to people after a investor lost all our money Sad
We probably should make a budget but we are not sure if it would really make a difference in our spending or we would just know more in detail where the money gets spent

amother
Chicory  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 5:42 pm
Yes, we have a budget. Keeping track Helps us save the most we can

amother
Rose  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 5:43 pm
I've been married a bit over a year and we have a budget on a spreadsheet. I'd love to switch to an app that automates it but they're not the most accurate because they can categorize things wrongly... also all the ones I looked into cost $$$

It does stress me out a bit to have to manually do it but we're very on top of it because we want to buy a house. We save about 1/3 of our post tax income and we're not even making that much because we're both young and fresh in our careers. So saving takes discipline which is where the budget comes in.

Most months' groceries are $300-$500 because I buy mostly from the non Jewish stores aside from meat and cheese. (We also go away for shabbos a lot) We don't go out to eat most months, only for special occasions and we buy takeout 1-2 times a month. We don't normally shop in frum stores for clothes (unless s/t is on a severe discount) even though we live in town, which greatly brings down our clothing expenses.

I think my husband thinks I'm a little hardcore with it but I'm pretty proud of how much discipline we have.

I'm thinking to give us a bit more guilt free spending in the next few months because I think I'm stressing my husband out.. 🙃
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics