Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
For those on low carb diets:
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:12 pm
Do you count all carbs, including milk in your coffee?
Trying to go really low carb to hopefully reverse pcos. I couldn't help but notice this morning that a cup of whole milk has 12 grams of carbs.. ( I absolutley cant stand the low fat milk) although I don't use half that amount for coffee..

I feel like every silly thing has carbs in it.. it doesn't feel sustainable at all.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Trying to go really low carb to hopefully reverse pcos. I couldn't help but notice this morning that a cup of whole milk has 12 grams of carbs.. ( I absolutley cant stand the low fat milk) although I don't use half that amount for coffee..

I feel like every silly thing has carbs in it.. it doesn't feel sustainable at all.

Good news - lowfat milk is higher in carbs than whole milk. You should probably check w your dr to be sure cream is ok for you but cream or half and half are lower in carbs than milk of any kind.

amother
Yolk  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes we switched to pea milk. It was recommended by the nutritionist.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 3:10 pm
On very, very extremely low-carb diet now for 3 years, b"H.
I use mostly almond milk in my coffee because, as you say, milk is high in carbs. I put in a splash of milk just for a little flavor.
Cottage cheese is my staple; it has the lowest carbs of protein-rich dairy foods, just btw.
Trying to think if I have any other tips for you :-)...
I just keep things really simple.
Hatzlacha!!!

tulip3  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 3:30 pm
It's not easy...it's prioritizing the important carbs I really want that day once in a while, otherwise I skip and stick to veggies, oatmeal and sweet potato and fruit for carbs.
How many grams of carbs can you have?

shanie5  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 9:26 pm
tulip3 wrote:
It's not easy...it's prioritizing the important carbs I really want that day once in a while, otherwise I skip and stick to veggies, oatmeal and sweet potato and fruit for carbs.
How many grams of carbs can you have?

Oatmeal and sweet potatoes are high carb. Fruits are carbs too. Better to stay away from all of them.

OP, if you want sustainability, you need to up your fat. It will help keep you satiated and fat doesn't make you fat! Carbs do. I typed a long post in the "Help me- I just gained another 10 pounds this summer " thread to explain this

hodeez

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 9:54 pm
This is news to me 🫨

tulip3

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 10:01 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Oatmeal and sweet potatoes are high carb. Fruits are carbs too. Better to stay away from all of them.

OP, if you want sustainability, you need to up your fat. It will help keep you satiated and fat doesn't make you fat! Carbs do. I typed a long post in the "Help me- I just gained another 10 pounds this summer " thread to explain this

I would advise that cutting out all carbs should be done with the supervision of a doctor or nutritionist who knows what they're doing. You don't want to mess with your thyroid. You can be low carb and still have a little oatmeal or sweet potato. Op,.how many grams of carbs are you supposed to have?

shanie5  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 10:14 pm
tulip3 wrote:
I would advise that cutting out all carbs should be done with the supervision of a doctor or nutritionist who knows what they're doing. You don't want to mess with your thyroid. You can be low carb and still have a little oatmeal or sweet potato. Op,.how many grams of carbs are you supposed to have?

Most things have some carbs. you can get your carbs from those. Think nuts and Veggies. Choose lower carb options than oatmeal-which is high carb and fairly processed and sweet potatoe which has less carbs than a potato, but still quite high.

Your body doesn't need carbs to survive, it can make whatever glucose it needs from the proteins and fats we eat.

shanie5  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 10:16 pm
hodeez wrote:
This is news to me 🫨

Well, considering the governments nutritional guidelines, it's not surprising that people don't know this. But there is a movement out there trying to let people know that the american guidelines are not based on any science. Just guesswork and assumptions that have never been proven.

There are facts to prove this.

amother
NeonOrange  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 10:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

Milk is very high in carbs.

I think you need to educate yourself a little more in this area if you are trying to go low carb.
The fact that you think low fat milk would have less carbs than whole milk indicates that you would probably benefit from a bit more knowledge.

The more you get it, the more you would be able to institute it and sustain it.

I am also doing very low carb (also due to pcos). If you eat enough protein and fat, you won't be hungry. I find it very sustainable. Doing it for about 7 months now.

amother
Garnet  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 10:49 pm
Honestly, if you have pcos, dairy shouldn't be part of your diet at all. Look up Tallene from cysterhood. She has a YouTube channel and an app. And website.

Molly Weasley

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:12 pm
Are you following the nutritionist guidelines? Or doing it yourself?

Most nutritionists will give you guidelines to say, coffee in the morning take full milk, stick to once a day. Or something like that.

amother
  NeonOrange

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:21 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Honestly, if you have pcos, dairy shouldn't be part of your diet at all. Look up Tallene from cysterhood. She has a YouTube channel and an app. And website.

Never heard this. Will look into it.
But carbs is a biggie for PCOS.

amother
Floralwhite  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:31 pm
Macadamia milk is low carb. Cows milk is a real no no on keto.

I started keto nearly 4 months ago. I find it the most sustainable diet because I feel full and I have energy. My cravings are gone. I don’t need to weigh all my food.

amother
  Floralwhite  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:33 pm
tulip3 wrote:
Keto is actually very good for the thyroid. I have hypothyroidism.

amother
Pistachio  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

For coffee try butter.
It sounds strange but if you think about it all butter is is heavy cream whipped too much
You need to blend it
You can use a small frother
https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Mi.....69479
It’s really good and creamy 😋

If not try unsweetened almond milk

Fat and protein does not contain carbs except for eggs and cheese, but only 1 gram each. Heavy Cream - has carbs as well

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:52 pm
What do all of you low carbers do for Hamotzee on Shabbos?

amother
  Pistachio  

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 12:07 am
amother Sage wrote:

Some just don’t, if they have a heter for medical reasons.

It’s hard because challah will take you out of ketosis and it takes at least 3 days to get back into ketosis. So by the time you get to 0.6, it’s Shabbos again.

If you need to get into Theraputic levels of ketosis then it’s almost impossible.

amother
  Yolk

Post Thu, Aug 29 2024, 1:44 am
amother Sage wrote:

Either nothing or I could wat a slice per meal and still lose weight. But it wasn’t for medical reasons.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise