Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Negotiated salary too low

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:12 pm
Wwyd.

At a new job, I have close to 20 years experience in the field and have loads of varied experience.

We agreed on a rate but I think I undercut myself very much.

I am there close to 6 months, and now that I have a better grasp of how the company works, I feel that I know more than my supervisors and have coworkers asking me for help. They also just gave me some of the more complicated accounts and reassigned other work to me that a coworker couldn't handle. Additionally, I am officially part time but my workload is similar to everyone else.

I also know with certainty that one of the reasons they hired me was because I was cheaper. I am in the Midwest (lower salaries here) and the rest of my team is in NYC. What should I do? Wait until my annual review and renegotiate?

My husband thinks that I would be at $120k if I would be in NY full time and I am earning $65k for 30 hours a week. I asked for too little money and feeling stuck. How do I know if I am earning my worth?

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:32 pm
can you get hired elsewhere?
start exploring a higher pay

this is why many people feel that pay should be transparent. everyone feels like the next person is earning more than they are

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:48 pm
Start thinking about what you want your next job to be. Take on the tasks that will build up your resume, so you’re the best possible candidate for your next job. Use this as a steppingstone to build your career.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:53 pm
I'm sorry OP, that stinks. I'm in a similar situation, also have a lot of experience and am working more hours than anyone else at the company and I get the sense that I could make a lot more. I'm looking for something else, it's very unlikely they'll reduce my hours and increase my salary.

Lesson learned - I must find out a lot about a company, including average # of hours worked and salaries for similar roles - before starting...

but in the meantime I remind myself that Hashem put me here for a reason, and in the right time if it's good for us He will move me to a role with less hours and better pay.

Much hatzlacha!

ittsamother

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:53 pm
How afraid are you of losing this job?
Is it the type you could sit down with them and tell them something along the lines of, "I'm here for 6 months now, here's the progress I've made and the skills that I am bringing to the table. I have a clearer idea of the value I'm bringing to the company, I can't continue this job at this salary, but if you raise it to $_ I would love to continue on." In more flowery and positive language of course. If you are truly as invaluable as you believe you are, they won't want to lose you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics