Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How to handle

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 11:52 am
I am going to be staying for a day and a night with some cousins in a couple of weeks. I am gluten and dairy free, and also allergic to tomatoes and some fruits. I really don't know how to finesse. If I don't tell them, they will probably prepare me food involving at least one of these. If I DO tell them, they will inconvenience themselves looking for special food for me. How to handle??

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:03 pm
Tell them

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Tell them

Ok but I would really like them not to run around town buying special food. I still eat many many things that they probably have in their fridge. I eat most fruit, all vegetables, chicken, fish, grains except for ones w gluten...etc. ..How do I word this to them?

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:08 pm
Tell them, and bring some gluten-free foods along with you if you think it may be an issue.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:11 pm
Does staying with mean you’re renting an air bnb together and splitting expenses? Or does staying with mean you’ll be guests in their home ?

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:15 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Does staying with mean you’re renting an air bnb together and splitting expenses? Or does staying with mean you’ll be guests in their home ?

Guests in their home. If we were sharing an air bnb my food would've been my problem.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:15 pm
I would call/text and say I just wanted to let you know that I am bringing along my own gluten free bread because I am gluten and dairy free and allergic to tomatoes.
I do well with any parve and meaty items. Please don't go out of your way for me.
Thank you and looking forward!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:20 pm
Can you tell them that you have a lot of food sensitive and they are pretty complicated, so can they please have 5 of these 7 items for you and you will take care of the rest. You can also tell them that you are not telling them your dietary restrictions because you really really really do not want to put them out or have them prepare for you, so please, please, please do not worry about feeding you.

And you list can include:
Quinoa
Rice
Potatoes
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Pepper
Potato chip

(Or include raw chicken/salmon, or whatever is super easy to prepare in their home or just to snack on if you are bringing/getting take out)

They want to have for you, so telling them nothing makes the. Work harder to prepare and if you give too much info, they will run around to get it.

Make sure you include that food is so unimportant to you and you are SO excited to see them and spend time with them.

Molly Weasley

Post Wed, Aug 28 2024, 12:41 pm
I would just inform them of my allergies, and keep food preferences off the list

Keep some gluten free pastries crackers Etc handy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics