Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Sliding door for a bathroom?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 3:47 pm
we’re planning a renovation now, and the space for the main family bathroom is very small. in addition to trying to figure out what layout is best, I’m starting to wonder if a sliding door would help. but would it be secure/private enough? does anyone have a sliding door on a bathroom and like it/hate it/care to share?

TIA!

amother
Butterscotch  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:03 pm
Barn door style doors are terrible for bathrooms. Pocket doors are only okay if you spend for the very high end hardware, home depot type breaks very easily with regular use.

Have you considered opening the door the wrong way? Outward?

What are the dimensions of the room?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:07 pm
We have a bi-fold door on one of our bathrooms. You need a different type of lock or else the lock slides open when you push the bi-fold.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:07 pm
I’m sorry I di y like the idea of a sliding door for a bathroom.. it can get stuck or jammed easily.. I think it would just be easier for a regular door and a lock, either knob or hook snd eye..

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:16 pm
I have a pocket sliding door with a lock and have had no issues over 12 years. It’s a small bathroom and it makes the space work much better. The only problem with it is that you can’t put a towel rail on the back of the door.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 6:16 pm
Redo the doorway and doorframe. Install a narrower proper door, rather than any of these other options.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 11:35 pm
I’m talking about a pocket door, not barn style.

we have room for a door, it’s just annoying—it would open right against the bathtub (or right against the toilet if we make a change).

dimensions are 150 cm by 206 cm.

I’ll post a picture for reference. I’m also open to any suggestions for changing the layout! I don’t love this one.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 11:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

we have room for a door, it’s just annoying—it would open right against the bathtub (or right against the toilet if we make a change).

I’ll post a picture for reference. I’m also open to any suggestions for changing the layout! I don’t love this one.

Can’t see the pic.

amother
Orchid  

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 11:41 pm
I've seen a few different types of sliding doors, some just "go to the wall" so there is a bit of a crack/space between the door and wall, ( it never meets fully) and some have a little groove that it goes into so there is no space.
not sure about lock style though, hook and eye type maybe?

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Aug 20 2024, 11:56 pm
I have a sliding door on one bathroom in my house and I absolutely HATE it.
1) Hard to lock/unlock, especially for children.
2) Lack of privacy. Somehow you feel as if you're not in a closed room and when others are around outside it feels awkward. Can't even explain how horrible the lack of privacy feels.
3) No hooks can be put on door.

I know it was needed to save space, but if I'd redo something, it would be to put a regular door.

If you still have an option to make changes, I would NOT suggest to put a pocket door.

amother
  Butterscotch

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:18 am
That is a really tiny bathroom, without making it larger, the simplest way is to open the door out into the other space instead of into the bathroom. It will be equally as annoying as a pocket door, but safer than a pocket door getting stuck & less annoying than the way it opens now. It will be more annoying as far as people will always leave the door open with a pocket door and many times an outward opening door too.

I have designed the exact size bathroom in a master bedroom. I put the toilet where the sink is and a very small sink after that, door opens outward and faces the sink.

But if its your main I think having the long countertop and storage below is more important.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:33 am
Pocket doors do better with more robust door framing : 2x6s instead of 2x4s. In my work (space planning and kitchens) I try to avoid pocket doors.

A few others have already suggested that you simply put in a regular door but have it swing out rather than in. I just drew up a basement design tonight where I did just that for a bathroom — it's really OK. And sometimes it's even safer. If G-d forbid a person falls in a very tight bathroom, they are not blocking the door.

An outward-swinging door appears to be your best solution.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 1:05 am
I have a full size tiny bathroom like that in my master.
Let me tell you. I placed the door swinging outward. It was the only way.
I considered double doors (2 narrow ones that meet). I was convinced by others that I'll never have a private closed bathroom with those. (I do have those on my master closet and agree that they wouldn't have worked on the bathroom).

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 5:07 am
thank you all for your feedback!
I have to say, my immediate intuition was that a sliding door (at least the ones I've experienced in life) is not good for a bathroom. just doesn't feel private enough. but I was hoping I would hear otherwise from all of you! guess not.
I don't think opening outwards is an option? this bathroom is right off of a short hallway--right opposite the door of the bathroom is my laundry closet. (and at the end of the hallway is a bedroom.) I could see a door that opens outwards being really annoying to people doing laundry (a.k.a. me) or the people trying to get to their bedroom. I think?

happy2bmarried

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 6:36 am
I have a pocket door on both the family bathroom and en suite. We have good quality tracks and have no problems at all. Been in use for 6 years already. Use regular bathroom door lock (type that you can open from the outside if necessary)

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 7:03 am
what tracks did you use I need help
im adding pocket doors inbetween dining room and kitchen and need to know how to do it propertly

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 9:14 am
A pocket door is very annoying for a bathroom door. Even the highest quality pocket door is much more difficult to maneuver than a standard swinging door.

Also - it is noisy which is a factor for a bathroom door used at night - especially in a master bedroom suite.

I have a small master bath and my bathroom door swung in which blocked the end of the tub/shower you entered into. And closing it was also a hassle since you had to step beyond the door to close it.

When I remodeled, I had the door swing out and it was the perfect solution.

acemom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 11:48 am
Is there no option to change the layout? I'd switch the sink and toilet or rotate toilet parallel with the door if measurements allow for that.

I don't think having a pocket door will be a great idea, but I am no design professional.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

I've never had a problem with sliding doors for bathrooms. Except in a master bedroom because then a ton of light leaks out (think shabbos when you leave your bathroom light on and it makes the bedroom too bright.

However, I do think that the inward swinging door is fine. You could put the toilet on the same wall as the door though, that might make the space better (we have a bathroom with an identical setup to your picture, except the door opens against the toilet and I hate it).

lamplighter

Post Wed, Aug 21 2024, 12:41 pm
I have the bathroom door opening out, it's totally fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics