Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
S/o telling boss good about employee

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:51 am
Twice in the same supermarket, I saw cashiers (not jewish) paying for customers. One was a little kid buying candy whose ebt card wasn't working. One was a kid with a bday hat so she told him to pick a treat from the aisle. The cashiers swiped their own cards each time and there's no employee discount.

Tell the boss or not?
Why wouldn't you?

abbie

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:53 am
Are you wanting to tell the boss as a way of complimenting their workers?

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:07 am
There's no reason for you to tell the boss. This isn't for you to share. You can tell the boss that you noticed that specific employee is extra nice, but don't mention those specific incidents.

amother
Magenta  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Twice in the same supermarket, I saw cashiers (not jewish) paying for customers. One was a little kid buying candy whose ebt card wasn't working. One was a kid with a bday hat so she told him to pick a treat from the aisle. The cashiers swiped their own cards each time and there's no employee discount.

Tell the boss or not?
Why wouldn't you?

I would. I once heard a great quote 'Having a compliment for someone and not passing it on is like buying a present and not giving it'.

I try and give a complement a day. I see a kid giving up his seat on the bus for someone, I text the Mom. I see a kid sharing her special Rosh Chodesh snack in recess because her friend forgot to bring one, I text the Mom. Same for a kid who chased after my oranges outside the supermarket when my bag split, and the kid who was with his friends in the street who were drinking soda, but he wasn't.

It can change someone's day, and don't we all need that?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:23 am
We’re in 2024. They are on camera on their entire shift. Their boss already knows Smile

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:33 am
amother Magenta wrote:
I would. I once heard a great quote 'Having a compliment for someone and not passing it on is like buying a present and not giving it'.

I try and give a complement a day. I see a kid giving up his seat on the bus for someone, I text the Mom. I see a kid sharing her special Rosh Chodesh snack in recess because her friend forgot to bring one, I text the Mom. Same for a kid who chased after my oranges outside the supermarket when my bag split, and the kid who was with his friends in the street who were drinking soda, but he wasn't.

It can change someone's day, and don't we all need that?

This is complimenting the person, not reporting it to someone else.

OP's question is about reporting to the boss. If you don't know the employee guidelines of a business, you may do more harm than good. So go ahead and compliment the cashier, tell him/her what a nice thing he/she did, but I would hold off reporting it.

amother
  Magenta  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:45 am
amother Clematis wrote:
This is complimenting the person, not reporting it to someone else.

OP's question is about reporting to the boss. If you don't know the employee guidelines of a business, you may do more harm than good. So go ahead and compliment the cashier, tell him/her what a nice thing he/she did, but I would hold off reporting it.

No I'm talking about telling a Mom about something good about her kid.

I really don't see why one tell a boss. Recently I emailed my dd's principal when her teacher made a beautiful meaningful project on a midda that was really impressive. I named the teacher and said I wanted to put on record how it helped dd.

It was so appreciated! The principal emailed me back with a thank you, and also forwarded the email to the teacher and department head, who when I bumped into, thanked me for the feedback!

I can't see any reason not to.

mha3484  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:52 am
My sons school got a case manager this year who I was very impressed with. Its not easy in the current climate to find male special ed teachers who aren't woke, no tattoos, weird hair etc and so respectful. So I called the org that hired him and complimented the person who does their hiring. She said I made her day. She was so happy I called. What can you loose. Hiring is most bosses least favorite task when you get a good employee its nice to know about it.

amother
  Magenta  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 12:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My sons school hired a case manager this year who I was very impressed with. Its not easy in the current climate to find male special ed teachers who aren't woke, no tattoos, weird hair etc and so respectful. So I called the org that hired him and complimented the person who does their hiring. She said I made her day. She was so happy I called. What can you loose. Hiring is most bosses least favorite task when you get a good employee its nice to know about it.

You are so right. Teaching these days, and bringing up kids is so hard. Heads of schools and parents need all the encouragement they can get. Anyone who is an a position to give some, should!

JasmineDragon

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 12:09 pm
I think the issue with this case, as with the case it's a spin off from, is that the employees are paying for items for customers. You're not complimenting them on being good at their job, but on being a good person while at their job. Their boss might not want employees buying things for customers, and that's why people are advising against sharing that.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 12:31 pm
Right but you can say to the manager I saw how kind the cashier was to this child. You don't have to say they bought them something.

amother
  Magenta

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 12:33 pm
JasmineDragon wrote:
I think the issue with this case, as with the case it's a spin off from, is that the employees are paying for items for customers. You're not complimenting them on being good at their job, but on being a good person while at their job. Their boss might not want employees buying things for customers, and that's why people are advising against sharing that.

Idk, why would a boss not appreciate hearing that his employee is 'just' a good person?

If she's a people pleaser and does this often, causing customers to expect such service, leaving them disappointed, fine, that would affect his business, so okay don't say.

But as a one-off, whyever not??\
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics