Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I can’t give you sympathy

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:55 pm
I dont know how to kindly tell a colleague that I just can’t give her the sympathy she’s looking for.

She’s always kvetching, about the weather, how a coworkers lunch smells, how she’s not losing weight fast enough, the neighbors kids were chutzpadik etc etc.

It’s exhausting listening to her, especially when I just want to do my work! I’m not interested in shmoozing especially not such negative talk.

She’ll complain that she doesn’t have enough money to fix her fridge, but then tell me about all the toys and books she bought her kids. I helped her out when she was in a tight spot and utilities were going to get shut off, the next week she told me about a concert she took her kids to (no, the tix weren’t gifted to her).

She’s looking for me to sympathize with her, to kvetch with her, but I just can’t do it. I feel so negative towards her.

Problem is that I’m working with her on a project for the next few weeks, so I can’t just distance myself from her.

Is there any polite way to tell her to sh*ut up?!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:08 pm
I feel for you. I work in a branch of human services (not therapy, but similar) and I find that listening to excessive whining drains me, even as I find helping people fulfilling. I find ways to recover/rejuvenate throughout the day so I don’t become too cranky. It’s hard.

It’s especially rough if you have to work together on something and can’t take space for yourself. Do you have a lot of tact?

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:10 pm
For the future, don’t help her with anything monetary wise.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont know how to kindly tell a colleague that I just can’t give her the sympathy she’s looking for.

She’s always kvetching, about the weather, how a coworkers lunch smells, how she’s not losing weight fast enough, the neighbors kids were chutzpadik etc etc.

It’s exhausting listening to her, especially when I just want to do my work! I’m not interested in shmoozing especially not such negative talk.

She’ll complain that she doesn’t have enough money to fix her fridge, but then tell me about all the toys and books she bought her kids. I helped her out when she was in a tight spot and utilities were going to get shut off, the next week she told me about a concert she took her kids to (no, the tix weren’t gifted to her).

She’s looking for me to sympathize with her, to kvetch with her, but I just can’t do it. I feel so negative towards her.

Problem is that I’m working with her on a project for the next few weeks, so I can’t just distance myself from her.

Is there any polite way to tell her to sh*ut up?!

Some people just need to dump on others and try to get sympathy. Do you ever respond? You shouldn’t. If she doesn’t get the payoff she’s looking for she’ll eventually stop. It’s hard to listen to because sometimes we take it in so you have to try to just tune it out and not even respond. Try to change the subject or better yet, say you need to focus on your work. She’ll eventually get the hint.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
For the future, don’t help her with anything monetary wise.

Oh definitely not! After I heard about the concert that was it.

But I wish I could tell her how her frivolous spending is impacting her life. A mother who isnt stressed about her fridge is a much better mother than one who takes her kids to a one off concert.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:47 pm
The polite way is to say oy and then change the subject or walk away. Rinse repeat.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:02 am
"I'm sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy. Unfortunately, this project/report/timesheet/review is due and I must get it done NOW, so if you'll excuse me..."

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:16 am
If someone doesn't take hints, try just saying literally what you mean. In this case, it would be "I don't feel like schmoozing right now. Can we please focus on work?" There are downsides to being too blunt, but when someone genuinely doesn't get your signals, you're not doing them any favors by continuing to hint.

Being subtle can end up making them feel even more hurt, as they feel the negativity but don't know what you want from them. In fact, when you're trying to hint to someone that you need space, you can end up with them getting the vibe there's something wrong going on but taking it the wrong way and trying to get closer to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette