Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My kids were expelled
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:40 am
My children's elementary school sent us a letter last week without any warning saying that they are expelling our kids citing a breach of commitment to their standards.

When we called, the principal claimed that the kids are leading a double life. When asked for details she stated that one dd breached tznius rules wearing short socks on a Sunday and another showed a video on a flip phone to some classmates. She mentioned that we would be better off in a school that leans more to the left (which is so out of sync for my family).

The first allegation is 1k% false, as my kids don't wear socks, and the second is possible but unlikely.

My biggest issue is that as a parent in this school for over 10 years, even if this (& much more) were all true, they should have had the decency to call us down to a meeting to resolve the issues.

As an aside, we had spoken to this principal in June regarding other issues and none of this was ever mentioned.

What would you do? They sent me a letter mid July, when most schools are closed for the summer.
What am I meant to do? I'm at a total loss

giftedmom

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:43 am
Looks like these aren’t the real reasons, just excuses.

amother
Daylily  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:43 am
I’d start calling schools now. Many are still working in the office. At the same time is get a rav or community askan to advocate for you.

amother
Lilac  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:44 am
Wow I would be furious.
Is it possible there are other reasons they are not stating?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:45 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Wow I would be furious.
Is it possible there are other reasons they are not stating?

Still unacceptable of the school to do. You don't send such a letter to parents without prior communication.

amother
DarkGreen  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:47 am
Unfortunately in my community this is the new normal, although they'd typically send out the letter much earlier in the year.

Are your kids struggling academically? What ages are they?

ShishKabob  

Ask Hashem to send your children a school that will be good for them and for you. Hugs

amother
Black

Totally shocking.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:49 am
I'm so sorry 😔

I know this is probably not any real consolation, but these are the last people I would want to be responsible for my kids chinuch.

amother
  Lilac

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:50 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Still unacceptable of the school to do. You don't send such a letter to parents without prior communication.

Of course!!

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:51 am
This is a great opportunity to find a non-crazy school.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 11:51 am
Its absolutely not okay. I had a situation many years ago where they sent me a letter early June basically kicking my son out in the guise of not meeting his needs. I lost my temper and have a lot of regrets from that period so please don't be like me. But I said to the school they need to have told me this pesach time so I can properly tour schools. It was the worst feeling to get a letter like that. It did work itself it out but I felt like I got punched in the gut.

amother
Holly  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:04 pm
Get a RAV Involved immediately. Both to work with this school and help you get I to another if things don't work out. Sometimes they give these excuses because they hope you get a rav involved, him they will tell the truth.

I had a neighbor that school was giving a hard time. They had $ which prevented them from being thrown out. The family asked the rest of the parent body "why is the school picking on me, I look and act just like you." Had I just seen them going to p.t.a I would agree.

But it was just the VIBES they gave off that wasn't typical. The Grey area is where they failed to meet school standards.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:16 pm
For the life of me, I have no idea what we could have possibly done to deserve such treatment.

The only issue they ever spoke to me about is that one of my DDs has academic issues. They advised tutoring to which I agreed and she got the tutoring.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:20 pm
I am so disgusted for you. How absolutely awful.

gdgirl

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:22 pm
Wow, that must have been a shocking and painful letter to get. I agree with junglegreen that I wouldnt want my kids in a school that communicates and/or treats people this way. I hope you can find a more supportive environment and things work out much better for your children in the future.

Brit in Israel  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:23 pm
Absolutely totally not correct for the school to send a letter without warning.
Is their a Rav or askan you can get involved with talking to this school and maybe helping getting in a different school.

Hugs OP hope the best comes out of it for your girls.

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:24 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Get a RAV Involved immediately. Both to work with this school and help you get I to another if things don't work out. Sometimes they give these excuses because they hope you get a rav involved, him they will tell the truth.

I had a neighbor that school was giving a hard time. They had $ which prevented them from being thrown out. The family asked the rest of the parent body "why is the school picking on me, I look and act just like you." Had I just seen them going to p.t.a I would agree.

But it was just the VIBES they gave off that wasn't typical. The Grey area is where they failed to meet school standards.

You don’t throw out a precious Jewish neshama from your school because of VIBES and Grey areas.

What is happening to us?!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:29 pm
You need to get a Rav involved immediately.
And regardless of your feelings to the school, keep in mind this is about your kids and their needs. Try to stay calm and focused on that.
Sending many hugs.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:32 pm
I’m so sorry op. It’s very dehumanizing.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics