Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O showering with children
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:13 pm
I’m not saying showering with a 6yo is ok at all, but I’m wondering when it’s ok until. Like would you think it’s weird for a father to bathe with his 3yo son? Is it inappropriate to talk about it? Like should my son not ask in front of people if tatty can come in the bath with him? And what about changing in front of kids? In your opinion can I still get dressed with my 3yo son? Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this or related questions…

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:17 pm
A child is too old to see his parents unclothed when one of two criteria happen:

He's old enough to talk

And/or

He's old enough to remember

Last edited by Rappel on Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:18 pm
I once bathed with my two year old and he brought it up a few years later. Never again!

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:24 pm
When they are old enough to know about body parts and speak about it. For most kids it’s 2.5-3. The minute my kid names private parts and points at their own or others that’s when we move to not undressing fully in front of them.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:26 pm
3 years old is WAY too old.
For all the above.

I would bathe with an infant under a year old but that's really it.

Your 3-5 year old may remember forever what you and dh look like naked.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:28 pm
I think it’s Cultural and there isn’t one answer.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:45 pm
if I had to bathe with a little kid I would have never had any alone time !

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:48 pm
I have bathed or showered with my babies, but only if they were very preverbal. Usually only under a year.

amother
Red  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 7:49 pm
Once they can talk they are too old.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:07 pm
Bathing with a child of any age is very strange in my opinion...

amother
Silver  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:10 pm
Only with a bathing suit on !

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:10 pm
After 1.5-2 we start only bathing with bathing suits on. Usually by 3 they aren’t interested in either of us joining the bath at all

erm

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m not saying showering with a 6yo is ok at all, but I’m wondering when it’s ok until. Like would you think it’s weird for a father to bathe with his 3yo son? Is it inappropriate to talk about it? Like should my son not ask in front of people if tatty can come in the bath with him? And what about changing in front of kids? In your opinion can I still get dressed with my 3yo son? Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this or related questions…

You are worried about your son asking in front of people? The issue is he should not be taking the bath with him in the first place. Not because other people will know but because it is wrong. Children old enough to remember and understand private parts should not be bathing with parents or siblings.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:23 pm
So I just stopped showering/dressing in front of my 3.5 yo son last week. He made a comment about my underwear being what I wear after I had our baby. Period underwear. So I was like ok that’s it. Time to stop now.
I’m not gonna go into why and what I believe that has me ok with my son Seeing me naked until now because I’m sure I’ll be attacked. But everyone does what works for them and there will be a time that you’ll know it’s time to stop. If it’s that he asks to bathe with his father in public and that embarrassing to you then that’s your sign.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:27 pm
amother Silver wrote:
Only with a bathing suit on !

We often bathe and shower with the kids- me only with the girls- however, I wear underwear and a tank and my husband will wear a swimsuit.

Even if my children bathe together after they're aware, I'll have them wear underwear.

I find relaxing in a warm bath with my daughter, 5, on my lap is a wonderful way to bond and connect. I usually keep it dark and it's a soothing experience for us both.

I also like that she sees my imperfect thighs, and feels my belly, etc, so she knows that's what real women are like- as opposed to the images she'll be exposed to soon enough.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:31 pm
What's this whole mushigas of bathing with your kids?
I'll bath my baby with my toddler becuase it's faster, more convenient, efficient, and makes it fun for them.

But I never ever thought of bathing with my kids.
The first time I heard of this idea was on here. Then my sister told me she bathed with her toddler in the bathroom and she bent over the tub to breast feed. I thought she was bonkers (still do. For may other reason not bwcuase of thus alone. Lol!)
But seriously, just shower/bathe get clean whatever. Get dressed and get on with life!

I'm genuinely confused why it's such a big deal.
Enlighten me because I'm seriously not understanding.

Is it convenience? Is it ease? Is it fun?

amother
  Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:32 pm
It was relaxing. I had to be there to watch him so I just got in 😊

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:33 pm
My baby is 9 months old but it's either have her in the bathroom with me with a glass shower door or have her scream outside for 10 minutes. No other choice.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:35 pm
amother Azure wrote:
My baby is 9 months old but it's either have her in the bathroom with me with a glass shower door or have her scream outside for 10 minutes. No other choice.

9 months is a very different story

amother
  Silver

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
What's this whole mushigas of bathing with your kids?
I'll bath my baby with my toddler becuase it's faster, more convenient, efficient, and makes it fun for them.

But I never ever thought of bathing with my kids.
The first time I heard of this idea was on here. Then my sister told me she bathed with her toddler in the bathroom and she bent over the tub to breast feed. I thought she was bonkers (still do. For may other reason not bwcuase of thus alone. Lol!)
But seriously, just shower/bathe get clean whatever. Get dressed and get on with life!

I'm genuinely confused why it's such a big deal.
Enlighten me because I'm seriously not understanding.

Is it convenience? Is it ease? Is it fun?

One of my kids gave me a really hard time about bathing and washing hair, but when I say come on, I’ll even go in with you , then the child willingly goes in and it’s easier for me to wash the hair while I’m standing in the bath tub instead of outside. This child is under 5 and I always wear a full swim suit and shorts.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics