Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Parents of children who receive P3/SETSS do you realize...
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:07 pm
That this year, if you continue services through an agency, your child will probably be put into a group of likely 5 children to be serviced, instead of the 1-on-1 help they got till now (or 1-on-2 with a child who needed help in a similar area).

To sum it up (it's way more complicated really), till now, agencies billed the BOE and paid the provider a cut (I don't want to get sidetracked here on whether it was a fair cut or not - that's not the point). Now, things have changed, and the DOE is giving providers the equivalent of the cut they got from agencies if they work directly with the DOE, not an agency (which would be fine - they'd make the same amount as always).

The problem is that cases through an agency are given the same amount of pay that a provider would get working straight from the BOE. So, after the agencies take a cut, providers will be getting a big pay cut from what they were originally making... so a lot of providers only want to work with big groups (which means they can get paid more - so hopefully it will even out to their old pay for working one on one) if they are through an agency (unless maybe they are a new graduate who isn't too experienced). A big group means your child probably won't get the help they need (unless it's a group of children on a very similar level)

Anyhow, just wanted people to realize this: if their school is going through an agency still this year or is allowing providers to work directly from the BOE but insisting on getting a cut in their pay now that there aren't agencies, their child might not be serviced the way they want... If you don't want that, your options are:

1. Find a SETSS provider on your own (not through an agency) to work with your child after school - they can bill the DOE directly, so they'll be happy to work one-on-one with your child.
2. Insist to the school that you want the provider working with your child to be able to bill directly to the DOE (in addition to not giving them a cut), so that your child can get one-on-one help.

To those wondering.... I work as a SEIT, so I'm not affected by those changes... but I know a lot of SETSS providers because we work closely together, plus I'm on a lot of groups geared towards special Ed providers, and I'm feeling so frustrated for them. They shouldn't have to take a pay cut just because the rules changed (likely because how much the agencies took advantage and billed till now - but again, that's not for here).

In addition, I have a child receiving SETSS. I'm continuing with my amazing provider from last year - working 1-1 with dd, just allowing her to bill directly this year instead. And I want parents to know they have the option to do the same.

I think all parents should be given the knowledge of what it will likely mean to go through an agency this year before they commit to them which is why I'm writing this

(Of course there are exceptions - their probably will be some experienced providers still willing to work 1-1 with children through an agency, but it doesn't seem like there will be a lot like that)

octopus  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:11 pm
I agree nothing is like 1:1, but a small group is like a resource room. There's nothing wrong with working in a small group. Regardless if it's through an agency or if it's through a private provider. Unless of course your child is only mandated for 1:1.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:18 pm
octopus wrote:
I agree nothing is like 1:1, but a small group is like a resource room. There's nothing wrong with working in a small group. Regardless if it's through an agency or if it's through a private provider. Unless of course your child is only mandated for 1:1.

I agree. It's definitely better then not having services and children can gain from it. I still think parents should be aware of this and know there's still a way/a choice to get their child 1on 1 help if they feel they'll benefit more that way

octopus  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:24 pm
Absolutely.

amother
Ghostwhite  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:27 pm
Unfortunately we the parents and our children who need their services that many of us folks fought for with tears and sweat are just pawns in this nasty game. After school doesn't work for all children. Agencies, providers and schools who raked it in are now crying poverty with the 'measly "rate of $85 per session.
How long did they all think $250 would last? Don't get me started about related services raking $300 per 30 min session. ...and all those providers who only worked half time billing for full?
School year is starting, my poor child is being set up for a year of misery and failure while I make call after call trying to find a provider. Yet nobody can take $85, and the providers in school don't work enough to fill the mandate!!
End of rant!

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 8:33 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Unfortunately we the parents and our children who need their services that many of us folks fought for with tears and sweat are just pawns in this nasty game. After school doesn't work for all children. Agencies, providers and schools who raked it in are now crying poverty with the 'measly "rate of $85 per session.
How long did they all think $250 would last? Don't get me started about related services raking $300 per 30 min session. ...and all those providers who only worked half time billing for full?
School year is starting, my poor child is being set up for a year of misery and failure while I make call after call trying to find a provider. Yet nobody can take $85, and the providers in school don't work enough to fill the mandate!!
End of rant!

I don't think most providers racked it in although I'm sure there where a few of them mixed it. I agree about the schools and agencies though.

Plenty of providers are willing to take $85 just look at this website a colleague started - https://thetutorshadchan.com/ maybe you can find a provider on there

I'm sorry about your frustration that's through no fault of your own 🤗 I hope things work out.

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't think most providers racked it in although I'm sure there where a few of them mixed it. I agree about the schools and agencies though.

Plenty of providers are willing to take $85 just look at this website a colleague started - https://thetutorshadchan.com/ maybe you can find a provider on there

I'm sorry about your frustration that's through no fault of your own 🤗 I hope things work out.
I see it says people are working remote. Can people living in Lakewood do p3 now without traveling to Brooklyn? My NY credentials have lapsed already but I’m curious.

amother
  Ghostwhite  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

Thank you!
I appreciate your sharing info!

amother
Seagreen  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:31 pm
End of rant!

Wow you make a lot of accusations here that aren't true and with that attitude no provider will want to service your child.

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:32 pm
octopus wrote:

This exactly. There is nothing wrong with a small group. Walk into a public school and 1:1 setts doesn't exist. Unless your child is seriously low functioning there is no real need for individual setts

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:43 pm
My daughter has NEVER gotten 1:1 services in school, although she needed it as she was very behind. It was always groups of about 5, all on different levels. Was pretty useless. No one wanted to do 1:1 in school because of less money. Was also impossible to find someone after school hours as everyone wanted to be home with their own kids.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:02 pm
End of rant!

Ok I'm a related service provider and this is actually funny.
Don't worry we were not raking it in at all.
No one that I know made 300 for a 30 minute session last year. Most made 45-60 which is very reasonable considering the degrees and credentialing needed for the job

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:05 pm
Can you explain this to me!SEITS aren’t affected? I’m debating if I want to go to school for tbjs

amother
  Ghostwhite  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:20 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Wow you make a lot of accusations here that aren't true and with that attitude no provider will want to service your child.

Explain my "accusations " please.
Which part is not true?
Actually it was always very easy to get providers because my cases where private and my providers enhanced on their own with related services piggybacking with p3's case. So yes they where all getting the full amount for the last few years. Yes most therapist in school do not see child for full mandate and bill for it all. Now therapist who where making enhanced rate are definitely not happy with 85 and wantvto know what else you can give them to "make it worth it for them. "
My not having therapist is because my school is still locked in with an agency or wants to take money from each therapist for each case per session.
Nothing here is false maybe just more info than a moms supposed to have

SYA

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:28 pm
As a parent of a child who had Setts, the schools who make the groups don’t always group the children by their weaknesses. Meaning, my child needed help with math and was paired with a student from another class who needed help with reading. So they alternated between the two subjects. Both students lost out. After Pesach my child was behind in math. The provider took maternity leave so my husband and I spent time to teach our child the missing material and catch up by the end of the school year for the final. The timing for the sessions wasn’t ideal for my child. If they’re doing reading, writing and spelling then that’s not the time to do a session on math. My child had to learn that material at home too. The provider was “nice” to write out the spelling list instead of my child having to do that three times (what was done in class).

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:28 pm
Explain my "accusations " please.
Which part is not true?
Actually it was always very easy to get providers because my cases where private and my providers enhanced on their own with related services piggybacking with p3's case. So yes they where all getting the full amount for the last few years. Yes most therapist in school do not see child for full mandate and bill for it all. Now therapist who where making enhanced rate are definitely not happy with 85 and wantvto know what else you can give them to "make it worth it for them. "
My not having therapist is because my school is still locked in with an agency or wants to take money from each therapist for each case per session.
Nothing here is false maybe just more info than a moms supposed to have

I'll argue with this statement " most therapist in school do not see child for full mandate and bill for it all"... I know many therapists and do not know a single one that would bill for time they didn't see the child.

amother
  Ghostwhite  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:36 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
I'll argue with this statement " most therapist in school do not see child for full mandate and bill for it all"... I know many therapists and do not know a single one that would bill for time they didn't see the child.

I beg forgiveness from any therapist who don't do any of the above. In some parts of nyc unfortunately this is very common (which is why BOE understandably is cracking down)
..if you are a privider working under an agency-the agency was making that full enhanced enhanced rate and you got about a third. ...

amother
Nutmeg

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:37 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:

As someone with immediate family working in the field, many of these accusations are unfortunately true about the special Ed department. My family has been honest, billing only for actual sessions and gives the full time but hears of those who bill for the hour yet sees the students for 30 minutes.

The greed of the agencies to bill $200-350 and pay the providers $70-85 and tip off the schools as well is what’s causing the pay cuts. Let the providers bill themselves as many did till covid and the schools have a coordinator to coordinate scheduling and spot check the providers to ensure they are seeing the students and billing correctly.

octopus  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 10:56 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:

No way. Sounds like a concerned mom who is in her child's corner! As all moms should be. I'm sure you will find a provider. B'hatzlocha!

octopus  

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 11:00 pm
SYA wrote:
As a parent of a child who had Setts, the schools who make the groups don’t always group the children by their weaknesses. Meaning, my child needed help with math and was paired with a student from another class who needed help with reading. So they alternated between the two subjects. Both students lost out. After Pesach my child was behind in math. The provider took maternity leave so my husband and I spent time to teach our child the missing material and catch up by the end of the school year for the final. The timing for the sessions wasn’t ideal for my child. If they’re doing reading, writing and spelling then that’s not the time to do a session on math. My child had to learn that material at home too. The provider was “nice” to write out the spelling list instead of my child having to do that three times (what was done in class).

That's terrible planning on the school's part! The school doesn't have to pay a penny for a resource room, they should really utilize this gift better!(it really is a gift from the city! No other city provided these types of services like NYC).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics