Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Low cost trip that will keep an 11 yr old happy’?

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 9:53 am
Any ideas for a low cost trip that doesn’t require being out for long in the heat and will keep my 11 yr old happy? He loves hands on exciting things (will be taking our younger kids to, but if he’s happy they’ll be)

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:23 am
My nine year old is the same. So following for ideas!

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:29 am
Sharing this other thread I just noticed earlier today, since there might be crossover in the answers:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....68612

OddoneOut1

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:29 am
Could you do a water hike? Fun snacks and getting wet is always fun…
Between carpools had some locations and details
https://betweencarpools.com/6-.....isit/

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:30 am
amother Lavender wrote:
My nine year old is the same. So following for ideas!

Some ideas of things we have already done - not completely free which I would love, but $5-$10 dollars which is still pretty good

- we do swimply pools quite often. If you know family members who won't use it, you can ask them to open an account using a referral code given to new account holders and get a $50 to use towards a pool. We book pools for $5-10 dollars that way. Here's a code to start you off if you need
https://swimply.com/referral?r.....11719

- bowling - I sometimes find really good deals. The bowling place by X and McDonald cost just $10 (shoe rental included) for 2 hrs of playing if you arrive before 1 (check first and make sure it's still active and on weekends if you want to go Sunday)

- pair up a more "boring" /or more "babyish" trip with something small he will enjoy (ex go to a museum free using a library card and then go to the ice cream store after, or a trip to the dollar store and give him $5-$10 to spend). He doesn't love when I do that, but he'll tolerate it and it gives his younger siblings a chance to enjoy something geared specifically for their ages

If I think of more I will add on...

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:32 am
OddoneOut1 wrote:
Could you do a water hike? Fun snacks and getting wet is always fun…
Between carpools had some locations and details
https://betweencarpools.com/6-.....isit/

This is a great idea! And he would love it. The thing is I don't love the heat and I have younger kids to and need to push a stroller so not sure how well that would work.... I'm ok with the activity mostly gearing to him, but I have to be able to take them along. I will definitely look into those though and see if any could work...

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:33 am
NY Hall of Science?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:49 am
amother Crimson wrote:
NY Hall of Science?

Great idea! Thanks for reminding me. We went last year. While he wasn't crazy about it, he did find some stuff interesting.... It was more geared for his age then the Brooklyn or Staten Island childrens museum at least. I might be able to convince him to go again.

Another idea for the above poster who asked - the interepid museum was fun for him and the Brooklyn transit museum (if your son has interest in old trains and planes). I'm not sure which you need but they where free either on the library card or cool culture if you have that.

Sunshine3

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:10 pm
Would he go for bike riding someplace different and maybe doing a picnic or something after? Cheapest (free) option is to bring your own bikes but if you can't then marine park has kids bike rentals for $8 and hour. You can also do a surrey rental if he wants something different. It's technically not low cost but considering that a few people can ride it, per person it's not very expensive.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 12:40 pm
Find a all year round ice skating rink. Younger kids could use bars.
Cave exploring their is one in NJ.
Ceramic/plaster place. Look for one that gave cheap kiddy options and he will feel so good painting a mug,plate or salt shaker if you actually use it.q
W alk around ikea it's fun.
Spend time at a 5 below or qinclude a scavenger hunt there. Not really for very young kids that touch everything
or kiddy section at mall.
Visit a pet shop and you buy him a fish. So he feels accomplished.
Do you have a cool culture card statement island children museum is very nice. Nicer than brooklyn.
If you have a small outdoor contained space. visit a home depot and help him build a small shelter for younger siblings help him paint or decorate on a cooler day. (My little kids are always fascinated at the store with toilets on display.)
Fun station or go for the laser tag.

Adding don't do anything outdoor when the weather is this hot. Hot weather makes people more irritated, more grumpy.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 9:01 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Find a all year round ice skating rink. Younger kids could use bars.
Cave exploring their is one in NJ.
Ceramic/plaster place. Look for one that gave cheap kiddy options and he will feel so good painting a mug,plate or salt shaker if you actually use it.q
W alk around ikea it's fun.
Spend time at a 5 below or qinclude a scavenger hunt there. Not really for very young kids that touch everything
or kiddy section at mall.
Visit a pet shop and you buy him a fish. So he feels accomplished.
Do you have a cool culture card statement island children museum is very nice. Nicer than brooklyn.
If you have a small outdoor contained space. visit a home depot and help him build a small shelter for younger siblings help him paint or decorate on a cooler day. (My little kids are always fascinated at the store with toilets on display.)
Fun station or go for the laser tag.

Adding don't do anything outdoor when the weather is this hot. Hot weather makes people more irritated, more grumpy.

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes outdoors in the heat does make him grumpy Smile

He would enjoy fun statation or Lazer tag maybe ice skating but that would add up fast especially as I would also bring my kids under him. I think he would find Staten Island childrens museum to "babyish" at this point

I like the ceramic place idea, just need to look up what that would cost. 5 below he'd also enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries