Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Any foster moms on here?

ftm1234

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 6:08 pm
I'm interested in doing foster care long term for a child with special needs.

I've worked with kids like that for the last 6 years. I currently work with a kid who's with another foster family, but they don't take good care of him and seriously neglect him.

I love this kid to pieces and have the space, time and energy to take him in.

Anyone with experience can tell me what I can expect?

happytobemom

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 6:11 pm
Just mentioning - this forum is not anon enabled. You may want to post somewhere where foster moms who don't want to expose themselves can post anonymously.

Kol Hakavod!

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:13 pm
I am a foster mom but not to disabled child.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:16 pm
First stop is your local county foster care agency. Where I live they have informational meetings that go over a lot of the basics and what the next steps entail. You can always give them a call and ask about steps to get certified as an approved foster family, plus any additional steps to be approved for special needs.

This is a beautiful, beautiful thing you’re doing. I hope it works out wonderfully for the child and for you.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:41 pm
I have no advice, but kol hakavod and yasher koach!!! May everything go smoothly.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:42 pm
My para took In a kid from another class who got taken away from mom. (I work in public school)
I saw the difference it made in this kid. My para is in her 50's but I'm hoping she can keep this kiddo til he's 18. She's the best thing for him.
When we have assemblies and he received any awards she was beaming with pride like he's her biological child. It was so beautiful to see.
Kol hakavod op ❤️ you're an inspiration

ftm1234

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:39 pm
I guess I'll look into what Kiwi said.

Thank you everyone else for your encouragement.

If anyone has any more info, please share.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:41 pm
If this kid is being neglected by his foster family, that really needs to be reported so this child cam get help and so this family is not allowed to continue being foster parents.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:13 pm
ftm1234 wrote:
I guess I'll look into what Kiwi said.

Thank you everyone else for your encouragement.

If anyone has any more info, please share.

If you're trying to help a specific kid, don't go through the county. Figure out who's involved and speak directly to them.

ftm1234

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:20 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
If you're trying to help a specific kid, don't go through the county. Figure out who's involved and speak directly to them.

Yes, I'm trying to help a specific kid. Like I said, I work with this boy every day and I have a very special relationship with him. I want to give him a home where people are happy to see him and will actually take care of all his issues that can be so easily resolved if only some time and energy were invested.

I'm literally crying writing this. Unfortunately I've seen so many kids neglected or worse but somehow this case moves me more than others. Crying

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:46 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

You still need to be an approved foster parent before they can place the child with you. When you can, you should specify that it’s for a specific child.

brbs

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 7:51 am
We are going through the process to get licensed now…. Would love to connect with others…

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 7:52 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
You still need to be an approved foster parent before they can place the child with you. When you can, you should specify that it’s for a specific child.

That's if the kid is an an official placement. I don't know where OP lives, but many kids in the frum community are placed in informal arrangements.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:02 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
That's if the kid is an an official placement. I don't know where OP lives, but many kids in the frum community are placed in informal arrangements.

If that’s true, then don’t involve social services. Agreed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics