Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o: Why do many Imas act as if US = the whole world?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Comptroller  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:17 am

Last edited by Comptroller on Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:20 am
I think this may be a general american issue not strictly applicable to frum communities Smile

hi I am an american who lives in lakewood..

amother
Brickred  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:21 am
Comptroller wrote:
Why do so many Imas from the USA act as if the USA, or even their little town in the USA (Lakewood, I'm looking at you) was the center of the world?

they post questions without specifying locations, as if it was logical that it could only be in their neck of the woods.

They treat other users as if the were automatically from the USA.

Isn't it very provincial to believe that your place is the center of the world?

I think because MOST imas are from the US, they automatically post like that. Nothing nefarious or provincial.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:22 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
I think this may be a general american issue not strictly applicable to frum communities Smile

And I think this is specifically a frum tristate area issue.
We've established our own little world here, we have almost no need for anything from the outside of our little world-bubble that we tend to forget that an entire other universe exists.

amother
Sapphire  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:22 am
I think it happens more frequently from certain communities.

amother
Snowdrop  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:27 am
As someone from the Midwest, I endorse this message

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:28 am
delete

shabbatiscoming  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:29 am
amother Lightpink wrote:

Nope. Not at all. its a tri state frum jew thing. nd only some communities at that.

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Broom  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:29 am
People always assume that by default, whatever's the majority applies unless otherwise specified.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:30 am
It makes me laugh when I see it. Usually Brooklyn or Lakewood people do it. I’m from Lakewood and I make sure to post in Lakewood specific forums when asking a local question.

amother
  Snowdrop  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:31 am
I really wonder if those who don't think it's location/community specific are under part of that demographic?
Like broom and brickred

mizle10

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:31 am
I noticed whenever someone posts "where can I get..." without posting a location it's usually Lakewood.

amother
Lemon  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:37 am
And it always shocks me how many times I post questions in the Lakewood category and get nasty answers that have no relevance to Lakewood.

If I post in Lakewood and ask how much your tuition is, I don't want a snarky "free" from an israeli mother or a snarky "30k you're getting off cheap" from someone else.

amother
  Snowdrop  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:39 am
amother Lemon wrote:
And it always shocks me how many times I post questions in the Lakewood category and get nasty answers that have no relevance to Lakewood.

If I post in Lakewood and ask how much your tuition is, I don't want a snarky "free" from an israeli mother or a snarky "30k you're getting off cheap" from someone else.

So why don't you post in the private Lakewood group?

amother
  Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:41 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
So why don't you post in the private Lakewood group?

I post in the public Lakewood groups
The private groups tend to have less traffic because of privacy - people don't want to expose their username to a location.

amother
  Snowdrop  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:43 am
amother Lemon wrote:
I post in the public Lakewood groups
The private groups tend to have less traffic because of privacy - people don't want to expose their username to a location.

Is there no anon posting?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:47 am
You see this happening across the internet. Just go on something like Reddit and people will ask questions and automatically it's US centric.

amother
Steelblue  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:49 am
There is a clearly marked Lakewood section. It’s annoying when many say where is this when it’s rightfully in the right place and you don’t need to specify Lakewood.

amother
  Steelblue  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:50 am
mizle10 wrote:
I noticed whenever someone posts "where can I get..." without posting a location it's usually Lakewood.

And it’s usually in the Lakewood section.. if only people saw the clear label…

amother
Bottlebrush  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 12:00 pm
singleagain wrote:
You see this happening across the internet. Just go on something like Reddit and people will ask questions and automatically it's US centric.

Yup, was just coming here to say this. It's 100% an American-in-general thing and NOT a tri-state frum thing. Someone will post something about their kids school day and comments jumping on them "how is your kid in school in July" and the poster is like hello, that's very US centric, have you heard of Australia? Or someone brings up a medical concern and gets comments about the cost and they have to clarify they're not in the US so that's not part of the discussion. Why this is, it's probably because the US has by far the most English speakers in the world, so any English language forum is going to proportionally have more Americans than any other nationality. I'm sure if there was a Chinese equivalent, you'd get people from Taiwan and Singapore complaining that it's too China centric.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette