Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
First year middle school teacher any advice?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:45 pm
I've taught before, but this is my first year teaching all subjects in middle school. I've taught 2nd grade for the past 2 years. amazing supervisors and getting support and curriculum. Definitely stressing and doubting myself. I know I am capable and can do this. Just letting the stress and fear of the unknown get to me.

Any experienced middle school teachers have any tips for me?

teachkids

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:48 pm
Don’t enter a power struggle. You will always lose.

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 1:50 pm
Boys or girls?

s1

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 2:17 pm
Have very clear expectations and routines and stick to them.
Stay calm. (Easier said than done!)
Be consistent.
Praise and reward 10x more than you reprimand/punish

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 2:21 pm
amother Stone wrote:
Boys or girls?

Girls

Loch Ness

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 3:28 pm
Be consistent.
It's easy to let things go "just this time," but it's a slippery slope.
Make rules with consequences and stick to them.
The year is long. Eventually you'll probably start to "chill out" a bit, but don't do it too soon.

Also, kind of like what someone else wrote, don't get into a power struggle. Not with individual studens and not with a class as a whole. Always try to make every girl and every class feel respected. Once a class feels like they're the "bad class," the one you "hate," they will live up to that description and make your life miserable. Being consistent about rules and consequences doesn't mean you have to be a grouch. Give compliments and make girls feel good about themselves.

And if you ever need to send a girl out to the hallway or to the principal and she refuses to leave, just keep repeating your original instruction calmly and confidently, without escalating, and she will eventually leave. This could also work for other instructions, like asking a girl to put something away.

Oh, and (I keep on thinking of more tips!) if a girl is doing something slightly annoying, like tapping her foot or humming, you can definitely ask her to stop, but another technique to consider is to just ignore. She will keep getting louder, hoping to get a reaction, but you'll just keep ignoring. Now she doen't know what to do: should she stop? then you "won." Should she keep going? She's kind of annoying herself already.
At this point, someone in the class will probably raise her hand and ask you "can you tell her to stop tapping, I can't concentrate." And you can say something like, "______, it seems like your classmates are having a hard time concentrating...." Now it's between her and her friends, and there's no power struggle.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 4:08 pm
You must sign up for my friend mushkie's tips on teaching. Middle school is her expertise. She's on IG @evergrowingeducator and also sends out emails. Also works with teachers directly so if you need some help or coaching with curriculum or classroom, ask your school if they have funding (a lot of schools get funding or have a private budget.. You'd be surprised)

Also be aware that you might treat them like babies at first bc you're used to 2nd grade! They're way more mature and capable. Look out for that. (Happened to me when I first started in high school after always working with younger kids)

Definitely incorporate as much PBL, student led experiences and chavrusa as you can. Make the classroom engaging.

Take them seriously! Take their problems seriously. There's lots of drama and it's important to them. You can validate without taking sides or getting sucked in.

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 6:17 pm
Loch Ness wrote:
Be consistent.
It's easy to let things go "just this time," but it's a slippery slope.
Make rules with consequences and stick to them.
The year is long. Eventually you'll probably start to "chill out" a bit, but don't do it too soon.

Also, kind of like what someone else wrote, don't get into a power struggle. Not with individual studens and not with a class as a whole. Always try to make every girl and every class feel respected. Once a class feels like they're the "bad class," the one you "hate," they will live up to that description and make your life miserable. Being consistent about rules and consequences doesn't mean you have to be a grouch. Give compliments and make girls feel good about themselves.

And if you ever need to send a girl out to the hallway or to the principal and she refuses to leave, just keep repeating your original instruction calmly and confidently, without escalating, and she will eventually leave. This could also work for other instructions, like asking a girl to put something away.

Oh, and (I keep on thinking of more tips!) if a girl is doing something slightly annoying, like tapping her foot or humming, you can definitely ask her to stop, but another technique to consider is to just ignore. She will keep getting louder, hoping to get a reaction, but you'll just keep ignoring. Now she doen't know what to do: should she stop? then you "won." Should she keep going? She's kind of annoying herself already.
At this point, someone in the class will probably raise her hand and ask you "can you tell her to stop tapping, I can't concentrate." And you can say something like, "______, it seems like your classmates are having a hard time concentrating...." Now it's between her and her friends, and there's no power struggle.

I agree with all of this except as someone with ADHD, I sometimes didn't realize that I was annoying when I made weird noises or tapped my foot or whatnot. It wasn't malicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics