Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Advice about this outfit (edited from top considerations)

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 6:02 pm
It turns out to be dressier than I expected.
For one thing there's some gold thread, and it's to the floor on me
Of course I have many black tops but none particularly dressy...

I was thinking maybe to buy something black and add pink trim to the cuffs...

I'm not so excited about wearing a pink shell, I feel like it tends to look too much like skin...

Can I do something with this to wear to a family simcha? Maybe I should just shorten it...
(BTW if you like it, it's originally $99, now 23.76 but only in S & XS here.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:50 pm
Wow, thanks for all these ideas.

Is a sweater going to dress it down? Maybe not a bad thing because I would get more use from it. But can't really contemplate a sweater at the moment...

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:55 pm
I should have said, I have a rather matronly figure so I don't like to wear tucked in, rather a loose top usually such as an open jacket type top.

Thanks again for all your help!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 8:58 pm
https://www.kohls.com/product/.....dPV=2

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:37 pm
What do you think of this for a dressy look?

(Ha. Although they are showing it with jeans...)

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:44 pm
Satiny pink blouse
Maybe something like this: https://www.belk.com/p/alexia-.....29175

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:55 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Satiny pink blouse
Maybe something like this: https://www.belk.com/p/alexia-.....29175

Very pretty! But, do you think wearing it untucked will look silly?

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:56 pm
https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....aw.ds
https://www.express.com/clothi.....aw.ds

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:44 pm
What is the opinion of the board regarding this top?
It's clearly very long (S–XL, 28" long; 1X–3X, 30" long) which is good for my figure but maybe funny with a long skirt? I suppose I could just shorten the skirt...

And, of course, the pink may be off. I'm probably safer with black. But if the pink matches, would it be nicer than black?

amother
  Currant

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:26 pm
To me, it looks more casual than the skirt so may dress it down

Also, looks a bit long for the skirt, would stick with a shorter top or something that can tuck in, if you were looking to do so

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 5:53 pm
Not looking to tuck in. I ordered the chiffony top above which I will probably wear w black although maybe if find the right pink...

Next query:
Would you, as a grandma over 60, wear a maxi skirt? (Please say if you're Chassidish, Yeshivish, MO or JPF...)

Would you think a grandma in a maxi (let's say for the bar mitzvah of an einikel) was strange?

I definitely see Moms wearing long at bar mitzvahs. Well, come to think of it, I personally think it's a bit over the top to be wearing wedding-wear at a bar mitzvah.

OTOH I see that maxi is becoming much more the norm, at least in Yeshivish circles, where it used to be considered a touch bummy.

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 6:44 pm
I often wear ankle-length skirts during the week, even more often on Shabbos, so there's nothing stopping me from wearing something ankle-length to my grandson's Bar Mitzvah. More than the length is the issue of style, fabric and trim. I wouldn't wear a floor length ball gown skirt covered in sequins or beads unless the affair was black-tie, but neither would I wear a street-length pencil skirt covered in sequins and beads. But a simple straight crepe or jersey? Why not?

I have a neighbor who has never worn anything but maxi length, day or night, chol or kodesh, formal or informal, in the 25 or so years I know her.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Not looking to tuck in. I ordered the chiffony top above which I will probably wear w black although maybe if find the right pink...

Next query:
Would you, as a grandma over 60, wear a maxi skirt? (Please say if you're Chassidish, Yeshivish, MO or JPF...)

Would you think a grandma in a maxi (let's say for the bar mitzvah of an einikel) was strange?

I definitely see Moms wearing long at bar mitzvahs. Well, come to think of it, I personally think it's a bit over the top to be wearing wedding-wear at a bar mitzvah.

OTOH I see that maxi is becoming much more the norm, at least in Yeshivish circles, where it used to be considered a touch bummy.

I think the chiffon bolero will look good.
Enjoy it. I'm sure you'll look great in it, I don't see anything wrong with wearing that over 60. May you enjoy it for many happy occasions in good health!

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 7:59 pm
This could work too in pink or black if you want a not as dressed up option (but still dressy shabbos skirt)
https://www.amazon.com/ZESICA-.....psc=1

DrMom

Post Sat, Jul 27 2024, 4:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

Next query:

I think it looks fine to wear to a simcha. DL, so I'm not sure if my opinion is relevant.

I'm not a big maxi skirt fan, but only because I am short, and will probably not be any taller when I eventually (B"H) turn 60. Also, I worry about tripping over long hems when climbing stairs.

It is a pretty skirt, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics