Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen found vaping- first steps?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:24 am
I just found a vape that my 13 year old son was hiding from me. Earlier this year we heard a report from someone that saw him vaping and after speaking with him, we really believed him that it was infrequent thing that he stopped. I am shocked, horrified, don't know where to turn.... what are my next steps? I don't want to make him hide it more, I want him to STOP!!!!!!!! I have no idea where in the world he got a vape from either, he doesn't go anywhere other than shul or yeshiva, it must be someone from either of those places supplying it. Any ideas? Do I speak to a therapist???? His rebbe earlier in the year was no help....

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:35 am
Your first step is explaining the reason why you don't want him vapong is because you love him and want him to stay healthy.

Next is mandatory education on whats inside the cartridge and what is does to the lungs as well as why nicotine is addictive.

Then to help scare some sense into him, say you rather he uses cigarettes because they are safer than vapes from all the current studies. (Actually the case according to all latest studies).

Ask him if he feels withdrawal when he stops to see if he is already addicted.

Lots of upper elementary boys are into it as "the it thing" it is a Cool factor.

Most don't continue forever, but some are very addicted and its a problem.

Ask him what he'd like and sometimes his answer might surprise you.

They begin to look Cool and if they get addicted they might feel distressed about it and can use your help and guidance if it doesn't become a war at home over it.

They can use the thing fake without cartridges to keep the look or get into safer things that look manly to teens.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:40 am
There have been a ton of reports of boys collapsing from lung issues from vaping. There was a powerful story in Mishpacha recently about it, specifically discussing that it's an issue in the frum world. A lot of unknowns with vaping. I've consulted a few pulmonologists, therapists and dr's and all of them are wary of saying cigarettes are worse then vaping because we simply don't have stats, but we do have some very scary anecdotes with vaping. Its not so simple. So of course you're upset that you found this. That being said....
Everyone's vaping. Our boys are all vaping. There's no need to go ballistic , unfortunately a 13 year old vaping in the more right wing crowds is totally normal and if you think it isn't you are naive.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:27 am
My son is the same age and a few kids in his class have vapes. It's very sad. OOT.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:35 am
Have a conversation with him and see if you can make a deal with him that will make him give it up. What does he want more than vapes?
It's the only way but not foolproof.
Kids don't care about or believe the dangers of something they see everyone else doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children