Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Where do you keep....? How do you organize...?
1  2  Next

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:24 am
I often find myself trying to figure out where to store or how to organize random things.
I'm creating this thread to ask for ideas and for anyone else who is trying to work out good storage or organizing solutions.

I'll start with my first question:
My toys are in labeled containers but I never know what to do with new toys or games that were prizes or gifts. They usually aren't amazing quality, they may or may not last but are being enjoyed for now.

Also crafts, argh. I can never seem to figure out a good system with it.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:32 am
Every child has a junk box in there for all junky presents and school prizes and whatnot. When it’s full it’s cleanup time. The garbage is always happy on those days.

For crafts I have a round open lucite container with compartments. We have stickers, markers, crayons, kid scissors and glue. That’s it. It’s enough to keep them entertained. I store following books with the rest of the books. I have a container for play doh.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:26 am
My kids are much more into crafts than that. Unfortunately that wouldn't be enough.

I'm not referring to little prizes, I'm talking about games or toys that the kids collectively will play with for the next little while but aren't a category per se so I don't have a container/bucket for them. Example: a magnetic foam building set, a Mr. Potato head, LCD coloring screens...

Goldengoose

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:27 am
throw out old broken crafts and games to make room for new ones. no use in having a lot of stuff that's not useable.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:32 am
Sometimes I wish to go into other peoples homes to gather new organizing ideas…

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:47 am
Goldengoose wrote:
throw out old broken crafts and games to make room for new ones. no use in having a lot of stuff that's not useable.

I do. I declutter and reorganize on a regular basis. I'm asking about the things that aren't a category but also don't need a permanent spot.

Crafts I don't keep, I'm referring to craft supplies. I don't want to police the supplies but I also need some kind of system. Easy to maintain is key.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:04 am
I declutter and donate everything all the time

My space is limited and I get nervous from clutter I knew a person who hoards so I’m the exact opposite

My Dh complains I give everything away all the time.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:17 am
What about a small compartment type of drawers for these types of toys? or a specific box that is just for these kinds of toys.
I have the same issue. Usually the toys float around until at some point they've either lost too many pieces, or had it broken. Then I feel I can throw it out. I have a small bookshelf with a drawer underneath which is where all these types of toys go into.
I do struggle with getting rid of things.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 12:44 pm
Plastic shoe boxes and the larger building toys or stuff gets the next size up. Keep in the toy closet.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:21 pm
lamplighter wrote:
My kids are much more into crafts than that. Unfortunately that wouldn't be enough.

I'm not referring to little prizes, I'm talking about games or toys that the kids collectively will play with for the next little while but aren't a category per se so I don't have a container/bucket for them. Example: a magnetic foam building set, a Mr. Potato head, LCD coloring screens...

What about a cart craft idea?

So get a big box and put each toy into a 2 gallon ziplock bag until it’s ready to be discarded.

mig100

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:24 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Every child has a junk box in there for all junky presents and school prizes and whatnot. When it’s full it’s cleanup time. The garbage is always happy on those days.

For crafts I have a round open lucite container with compartments. We have stickers, markers, crayons, kid scissors and glue. That’s it. It’s enough to keep them entertained. I store following books with the rest of the books. I have a container for play doh.

Can you send a link to the Lucite container. Sounds like something that would be useful to me

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:32 pm
mig100 wrote:
Can you send a link to the Lucite container. Sounds like something that would be useful to me

It’s something like this. And it turns.

https://www.amazon.com/BINO-Pl.....r=8-3

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:16 pm
Institute a one in/one out policy. For every new item that you acquire, you get rid of one of more or less similar volume.

There should be nothing in your home that has no designated resting place. And if you know something is a piece of junk that will break in no time, don't bother bringing it into the house in the first place. Resist collecting freebies!

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:47 pm
zaq wrote:
Institute a one in/one out policy. For every new item that you acquire, you get rid of one of more or less similar volume.

There should be nothing in your home that has no designated resting place. And if you know something is a piece of junk that will break in no time, don't bother bringing it into the house in the first place. Resist collecting freebies!

These are things my kids either won or got as a gift. I'm not throwing them out. When they break or we lose the peices, we get rid of them. My question was for these random toys until we get rid of them. I actually use a Ziploc bag for now but I x love that it's messy.

For art, is a spinny caddy better than art drawers? Where do y'all keep your art supplies and where do they get used?

anonymous mom

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:57 pm
lamplighter wrote:
These are things my kids either won or got as a gift. I'm not throwing them out. When they break or we lose the peices, we get rid of them. My question was for these random toys until we get rid of them. I actually use a Ziploc bag for now but I x love that it's messy.

For art, is a spinny caddy better than art drawers? Where do y'all keep your art supplies and where do they get used?

I would create a new bin and label it "prizes" . Once it's full, they would have to decide which toys to keep and which ones to give away.

Where do you keep photo albums? Envelopes?

rowo

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 3:53 pm
A few years ago I put together a craft cart and it has been pretty easy to maintain.
It’s a three tier cart and I bought open containers to fit on the shelves in different sizes and some smallish bins to hang on the sides. There are metal carts available that you can also get magnetic containers to stick on the sides.
Paper, stickers, markers, pencils, gel pens, crayons, tape, glue, scissors etc all have a set place.

For less used craft sets or things like sharpies I have bins that live up higher on shelves.

The cart gets tucked in it’s position in our play area near the kitchen table where it get used.

When I first set it up my youngest was about 4 or 5 and my sister who had younger kids thought I was nuts for having things so easily accessible all the time. But I haven’t had any problems, because it’s clear where everything goes it’s easier to put things away.

When my now 2 year old was about 18months I did have to move the scissor bin out of reach, but other than that it’s been fine.

happyness

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:17 pm
lamplighter wrote:

Each one gets a separate container as long as it exists in your home. Be on top of when it’s no longer functional or played with and dispose.

Crafts are a bit trickier and I like to divide by category. So I’ve got a bin with pompous and pop sticks, one with foam shapes and stickers, another with glue and scissors.

I’m an organizer by profession 😊

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:32 pm
For junky toys/games/prizes:
I have one bin in my playroom for these things. The stuff in there is constantly being refilled and thrown out as prizes come in and break.

For crafts:
You can do a craft cart or you can do bins, depending if you have more floor space or closet space. The method is pretty much the same.
Basics like glue, glue sticks, scissors, markers stay handy. (In a cart this is the top shelf, in a closet it's an easy to reach shelf)
More exotic supplies like pom poms, beads, projects are less accessible.
For the basics I like using a divided turntable (like the one linked above), and then construction paper, plain paper, and coloring books in file folders like these https://www.walmart.com/ip/132343213
Other craft supplies get sorted by type into clear containers with covers. Some popular choices are the Our Bins from the container store in various sizes; the sterilite clip bins in various sizes; Ikea Glis bins are good for small supplies like beads, sequins, etc; and occasionally Dollar Tree will have a bin that works well.

Good luck!

kenz

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:39 pm
All these ideas work if you have little kids. If you have varied ages it’s really not enough storage.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:44 pm
I have a substantial craft cart and my kids use it all the time. Every few weeks I go in and reorganize everything but it works well. I have a spinning supply holder for crayons and markers which sits on top of the cart. The cart itself fits into a closet.
Mr. Potato head can have its own container with the accessories.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics