Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
5 year old craving sugar

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:48 am
I mean not in a normal way... She will bend down to the floor to pick up some sprinkles. She would hide and steal any nosh she could get her hands on. She would cry for hours if I try to limit her sugar intake.
She also wouldn't eat anything healthy. Veggies are a complete no no. I'm going crazy 😧. Help!

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:49 am
Did you have checked? Full blood panel? Sounds like something isn’t right.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:51 am
Pinworms/parasites or yeast overgrowth can cause this.
I've also seen it happen from strep and celiac.
Blood sugar, cortisol, thyroid can also be a piece.
Adhd/dopamine dysregulation may be a factor.
Do any of these resonate?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 8:54 am
amother Mocha wrote:
Pinworms/parasites or yeast overgrowth can cause this.
I've also seen it happen from strep and celiac.
Blood sugar, cortisol, thyroid can also be a piece.
Adhd/dopamine dysregulation may be a factor.
Do any of these resonate?

Yes, she something gets a flare up on her legs eczema. Could this be a sign of yeast. She also gets pinworms sometimes. Is there anything to do to solve these issues from the core?

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, she something gets a flare up on her legs eczema. Could this be a sign of yeast. She also gets pinworms sometimes. Is there anything to do to solve these issues from the core?
Yes, clean up her gut. But its a very tall order...

Some small doable steps are gentle parasite cleansing like happy from bioray, gentle liver support, broad spectrum probiotics, fermented foods he'll eat like plain organic yogurt, lacto-fermented beets, pickles, sauerkraut or string beans. There are supplements that can help with yeast such as oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, monolaurin. Ideally he should be off gluten and dairy but it's nearly impossible to make it happen with our lifestyles...
Make sure he has a bowel movement at the very least once a day, ideally even twice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:10 am
amother Mocha wrote:

Some small doable steps are gentle parasite cleansing like happy from bioray, gentle liver support, broad spectrum probiotics, fermented foods he'll eat like plain organic yogurt, lacto-fermented beets, pickles, sauerkraut or string beans. There are supplements that can help with yeast such as oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, monolaurin. Ideally he should be off gluten and dairy but it's nearly impossible to make it happen with our lifestyles...
Make sure he has a bowel movement at the very least once a day, ideally even twice.
thank you so much! I'll definitely look into it.

Comptroller

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:11 am
Are you very strict in limiting sugar? Because I see this kind of behavior primarily with children who are very restricted at home.

With the sprinkles, it could be that she was attracted by the color and did not think too much about taking it from the floor.

In general, if you think it's a problem that she craves sugar so much, I would give unlimited access to fruit, so that she can fullfill her craving with fruits.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:16 am
Comptroller wrote:
Are you very strict in limiting sugar? Because I see this kind of behavior primarily with children who are very restricted at home.

With the sprinkles, it could be that she was attracted by the color and did not think too much about taking it from the floor.

In general, if you think it's a problem that she craves sugar so much, I would give unlimited access to fruit, so that she can fullfill her craving with fruits.
No, and that's part of the problem. We don't believe in extreme parenting and we do give our kids some access to sweets. However, she definitely goes over the limit. She has no problem eating a handful of candy.
She does like fruit but is also very picky and prefers the sweetened dried fruit type.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:18 am
amother OP wrote:
I mean not in a normal way... She will bend down to the floor to pick up some sprinkles. She would hide and steal any nosh she could get her hands on. She would cry for hours if I try to limit her sugar intake.
She also wouldn't eat anything healthy. Veggies are a complete no no. I'm going crazy 😧. Help!

My son is like this.
Sometimes when he’s out of control He says he needs sugar and feels better.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:20 am
Comptroller wrote:

I wish people would stop saying this and thinking this way. It's outdated and unscientific.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:50 am
amother Mocha wrote:

what is gentle liver support?

milk thistle?
burdock root?

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:56 am
amother Mocha wrote:
I wish people would stop saying this and thinking this way. It's outdated and unscientific.

Curious what you mean by this?

Also. Sometimes candy craving is really disguised dehydration.

Is she drinking enough? Have enough electrolytes? I find flavored drinks (like adding a lemon) makes it more enticing to drink.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:24 am
My dd with adhd has always been like this. She lovessssss candy and snacks, and tries to avoid anything healthy. And she has poor impulse control to stop herself from eating the sweets she sees. She is now 10 and has gotten better about eating real foods but still loves candy.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:50 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Curious what you mean by this?

Also. Sometimes candy craving is really disguised dehydration.

Is she drinking enough? Have enough electrolytes? I find flavored drinks (like adding a lemon) makes it more enticing to drink.
I meant that I wish people would stop blaming children's excessive sugar cravings on deprivation. Scientifically, sugar and ultra processed foods are addictive substances, and some children are just more prone than others for various biological reasons.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I meant that I wish people would stop blaming children's excessive sugar cravings on deprivation. Scientifically, sugar and ultra processed foods are addictive substances, and some children are just more prone than others for various biological reasons.

Absolutely agree. If you've had a kid like this then you know it's not normal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics