Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Queens activities with my son & infant

JustHavingFun

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:15 pm
My son lives in Queens and I'd like to visit on July 4th to see my baby grandson. Ideally I just want to sit on the floor and play with the baby. My son tasked me with "finding something to do" for an unstated number of hours (working around baby's nap & eating schedule), but I am not familiar with Queens, how to "do something" with a baby, and the possibility of high heat.

My DIL does not like me. I've never been there, and I am not invited to stay the night or for Shabbos. DIL works remotely from their apartment & has to work that day, so anything at their apartment is out.

I will be traveling about 5 hours to get there by bus, and expect to go back home the same day. (Thanks, Megabus.) I don't have family or friends in Queens to stay with or visit, either.

Any suggestions?

--A frustrated Bubba Confused

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Jun 26 2024, 2:40 pm
How old is the baby? 4th of July is very hard as many places are closed.

JustHavingFun

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:00 am
Baby is 5-mo. Son is 30.
I personally don't need entertainment, just an air conditioned spot to hang out, but he seems to think we need to do something. A restaurant won't give the baby any freedom.
Thanks.

wiki

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:04 am
If you're in Kew Gardens Hills, the public library at 72-33 Vleigh Place is pretty much the hot-weather playground for nannies and babies/toddlers. You wouldn't feel out of place hanging out there for a few hours and reading board books to a baby.

But they will be closed on July 4th.

Next week generally has a good forecast, so hopefully you'll be able to go to a local playground.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 10:56 am
Ask them how to get to the Shabbos Park. Sit on a bench in the shade. The sprinklers might also be on. While you are on your way, stop at the bagel store (Main Street Bagels & Appetizing) and pick up a cold drink and some mezonos food like a big pretzel. For a bathroom you can go to Benjy’s pizza store, they are friendly about letting people come in for the bathroom and the bathrooms are large enough to go with a stroller. Other ideas: near Jewel Avenue there is a very robust sefarim store called Safra. They have great air conditioner and don’t mind if you browse for a while (but nowhere to sit). They also are chilled out about bathroom use. On the same block there is an Amazing Savings and a 7-11 where you might be able to get a Slurpee if the machine is fixed.

I’m so proud of myself. I made a multiple hour itinerary for you that doesn’t involve the library. You need to be okay with walking though - this is a walking town.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:52 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Ask them how to get to the Shabbos Park. Sit on a bench in the shade. The sprinklers might also be on. While you are on your way, stop at the bagel store (Main Street Bagels & Appetizing) and pick up a cold drink and some mezonos food like a big pretzel. For a bathroom you can go to Benjy’s pizza store, they are friendly about letting people come in for the bathroom and the bathrooms are large enough to go with a stroller. Other ideas: near Jewel Avenue there is a very robust sefarim store called Safra. They have great air conditioner and don’t mind if you browse for a while (but nowhere to sit). They also are chilled out about bathroom use. On the same block there is an Amazing Savings and a 7-11 where you might be able to get a Slurpee if the machine is fixed.

I’m so proud of myself. I made a multiple hour itinerary for you that doesn’t involve the library. You need to be okay with walking though - this is a walking town.

These are great ideas for a 5 month old! There is not much they can do yet. The “Shabbos Park” is officially called The Queens Valley Playground and is located at 137-32 76th Ave. They have baby swings.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:55 pm
JustHavingFun wrote:
My son lives in Queens and I'd like to visit on July 4th to see my baby grandson. Ideally I just want to sit on the floor and play with the baby. My son tasked me with "finding something to do" for an unstated number of hours (working around baby's nap & eating schedule), but I am not familiar with Queens, how to "do something" with a baby, and the possibility of high heat.

My DIL does not like me. I've never been there, and I am not invited to stay the night or for Shabbos. DIL works remotely from their apartment & has to work that day, so anything at their apartment is out.

I will be traveling about 5 hours to get there by bus, and expect to go back home the same day. (Thanks, Megabus.) I don't have family or friends in Queens to stay with or visit, either.

Any suggestions?

--A frustrated Bubba Confused

I suggest buttering DIL up by taking her and your son out to eat. We have many options on Main St. Maybe you can take them out for dinner when DIL is done with work or if she doesn’t want to go out, order take out to eat together in the apartment? She won’t have to cook that night LOL

JustHavingFun

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:18 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked on the map and they live on the west side of Corona park. Flushing? Forest Hills?

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 6:42 pm
Ugh I'm sorry, that sounds like a stressful situation to put you in, especially since they're the ones who know the area.

I don't know about their comfort level with these types of places (germs etc) but maybe a play center like Nana's Wonderland or Funzy? You can stay away from the other kids and just play with the baby. Note I haven't personally been to those places but have heard nice things.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 7:04 pm
In Forest Hills there is a lovely area to walk around called “Forest Hills Gardens”. Right behind Austin Street and continuing down Continental Avenue, there is a Tudor style town with an old fashioned train station and lots of parks and benches. Okay no kosher food, but there is likely a drugstore around there to buy drinks and snacks (while you are still on Austin Street). I’ve gone on dates there and also once or twice for a walk with my husband around there. It looks like it’s going to be hot next Thursday so take along drinks and stay in the shade. If you need a bathroom there are some local yokel offices in FH Gardens selling real estate or tennis lessons.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries