Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Whats that special spice/ing in tuna?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:59 am
store bought tuna sandwiches taste better than my own.

its not just more mayo,
whats that secret ingredient? is it a spice or lemon juice?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:00 am
I was told it bread crumbs, but I’m not sure

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:00 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I was told it bread crumbs, but I’m not sure

it would have been listed in the ing?

amother
Watermelon  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:02 am
I make tuna sometimes with blended carrots, celery, onion powder, salt, pepper, mayo and that’s pretty close to store bought.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:03 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
I make tuna sometimes with blended carrots, celery, onion powder, salt, pepper, mayo and that’s pretty close to store bought.

how do you blend?
do you have quantities you could post?

amothertrying

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:09 am
I heard they put a little bit of mustard

amother
  Watermelon

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:11 am
amother OP wrote:
how do you blend?
do you have quantities you could post?

I don’t know how much but I slice up carrots/cekery, then an immersion blender or food processor works

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:11 am
My secret ingredient when I made tuna salad in an industrial kitchen was finely minced pickles. They add crunch/texture, moisture, salt, and a complex briny flavor.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:13 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
I don’t know how much but I slice up carrots/cekery, then an immersion blender or food processor works

on the hand grater its the "mushy" hole?

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:37 am
Most have hard boiled eggs added.

Amarante  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 9:11 am
All fish needs acid - either lemon squeezed over plain fish; in the sauce of a baked fish or as an ingredient in a fish salad.

I guess I am odd because I find store bought tuna pretty bad - it is generally just tuna with a lot of mayo and maybe salt and pepper - not that interesting.

I like my tuna salad for sandwiches a lot

Tuna - mashed very fine with a fork so it isn't chunky but a paste

Celery minced into very small pieces so that you don't have a chunk but it adds to the flavor and has a bit of crunch in each bit

Lemon Juice squeezed - when I have not had lemon I have used balsamic vinegar as a good balsamic vinegar isn't harsh and adds the necessary acidic flavor as lemon would

Mayo - a good mayo is necessary. I used to use Hellmans/Best but switched to Dukes and is noticeably more flavorful. I don't use a lot of mayo as I don't want it to be a mayo salad with some tuna. I mash the tuna well with the fork so I don't need a lot of mayo to bind it for a sandwich.

Good mustard - I don't like the plain yellow mustard so I use a squeeze of honey mustard

And a very small amount of ketchup - like literally a smalll dollop

On occasion I have added a very small amount of sweet pickle relish as it also adds a bit of crunch - you could sub with dill pickle relish but I don't generally have that in the pantry. At any rate, you don't want either to be a large amount as you don't want it to dominate either the taste or texture.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 10:28 am
Amarante wrote:
All fish needs acid - either lemon squeezed over plain fish; in the sauce of a baked fish or as an ingredient in a fish salad.

I guess I am odd because I find store bought tuna pretty bad - it is generally just tuna with a lot of mayo and maybe salt and pepper - not that interesting.

I like my tuna salad for sandwiches a lot

Tuna - mashed very fine with a fork so it isn't chunky but a paste

Celery minced into very small pieces so that you don't have a chunk but it adds to the flavor and has a bit of crunch in each bit

Lemon Juice squeezed - when I have not had lemon I have used balsamic vinegar as a good balsamic vinegar isn't harsh and adds the necessary acidic flavor as lemon would

Mayo - a good mayo is necessary. I used to use Hellmans/Best but switched to Dukes and is noticeably more flavorful. I don't use a lot of mayo as I don't want it to be a mayo salad with some tuna. I mash the tuna well with the fork so I don't need a lot of tuna to bind it for a sandwich.

Good mustard - I don't like the plain yellow mustard so I use a squeeze of honey mustard

And a very small amount of ketchup - like literally a smalll dollop

On occasion I have added a very small amount of sweet pickle relish as it also adds a bit of crunch - you could sub with dill pickle relish but I don't generally have that in the pantry. At any rate, you don't want either to be a large amount as you don't want it to dominate either the taste or texture.

thanks amarante.

you are right, not all store bought is this what I am talking about.
but there are those yummy ones.

is it the celery or the lemon/vinegar?
how much would you add to eg 15 oz?

would raw apple cider vinegar be good?

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:02 am
It’s breadcrumbs. Or you can try mashed up crackers. Not sure which type

anonymous mom

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:26 am
My husband adds a little onion powder and black pepper and it tastes similar to the store bought tuna.

Amarante  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
It’s breadcrumbs. Or you can try mashed up crackers. Not sure which type

It seems odd to me that adding bread crumbs to tuna fish would be viewed as enhancing the flavor.

If it is added in commercial tuna fish, it is done to save money since crumbs are cheaper than fish.

Crumbs don't generally add taste as they are used as binders for the most part - to stretch expensive ingredients. Italians use bread moistened with milk to get their very soft succulent meatballs.

Amarante  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks amarante.

you are right, not all store bought is this what I am talking about.
but there are those yummy ones.

is it the celery or the lemon/vinegar?
how much would you add to eg 15 oz?

would raw apple cider vinegar be good?

I really just rely on how it looks and feels at this point.

I mash - add the liquidy ingredients - mayo, lemon juice, the squirt of ketchup and mustard and see if the consistency looks right.

I add the seasonings at this point and taste

I generally add the minced celery last so that I can judge how much to add

AlwaysCleaning  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:40 pm
Sugar

Amarante  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:02 pm
AlwaysCleaning wrote:
Sugar

I don't know why people would want to deliberately train the family to want sugar in foods that don't need it.

I am very far from a fanatic in terms of not allowing any sugar or "junk" food in the house because I think everything has a place in moderation.

It is one of the issues with lots of processed foods as they add sugar where it really isn't necessary.

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:06 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
My secret ingredient when I made tuna salad in an industrial kitchen was finely minced pickles. They add crunch/texture, moisture, salt, and a complex briny flavor.

Same here

AlwaysCleaning

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't know why people would want to deliberately train the family to want sugar in foods that don't need it.

I am very far from a fanatic in terms of not allowing any sugar or "junk" food in the house because I think everything has a place in moderation.

It is one of the issues with lots of processed foods as they add sugar where it really isn't necessary.

Agreed. Like why does tuna need sugar in it?? I was appalled when I saw the amount bc it seemed so unnecessary....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics