Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What to sell on Amazon
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:44 pm
How do I decide what kind of product could be a good going item to sell on Amazon?

Where do you buy products you want to sell on Amazon?

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:48 pm
Tons of videos on YouTube with this type of info. But nobody is going to tell you exactly what to buy and where to buy it.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:49 pm
not so easy to make money on amazon these days
its used to be simpler

Bleemee

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:23 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
not so easy to make money on amazon these days
its used to be simpler

What changed to make it more difficult?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:27 pm
for starters the Amazon marketplace is extremely competitive. Amazon fees are increasing. Product research is an extensive process.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:33 pm
The million $ question.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:50 pm
Allot of people made it big on Amazon. Try to find an original item and give it time hopefully you'll make it

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:56 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Allot of people made it big on Amazon. Try to find an original item and give it time hopefully you'll make it

The people that made it big started years ago when it was different on Amazon.
I have family that is big. They say it’s not worth going into now.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:59 pm
My friend told me that her son did well selling on eBay. Then he wanted to try out amazon. It was complicated. He watched many tutorial videos. He had to apply and get accepted. Each product he wanted to sell first had to be approved by amazon. He was part of chats that sold the items in bulk so if something was listed at a good price he would buy a few cases. Then amazon had to approve of the items before he listed them.
Often they did not approve of an item for no understandable reason. For example they did not approve for him to list dash cams. He has a few hundred pieces. For some reason they did approve milk frothers. He sold them out within a few days. That’s all the info I know. It seems to be a bit tricky to sell on amazon while being very easy to sell on eBay.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:45 am
I thought about selling Montessori toys. I feel like a lot of ppl are into it and look to buy specifically these kinds of toys

mandr

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:01 am
amother OP wrote:
I thought about selling Montessori toys. I feel like a lot of ppl are into it and look to buy specifically these kinds of toys

These are popular on Amazon. I am an Amazon product photographer and got lots of these types of toys to take pictures of.

Chinese manufacturers are also producing the same things they produce for you and flood the Amazon market as competition, which also makes it really hard for sellers.

Once you start selling and need photos, PM me Wink

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:05 am
amother OP wrote:

Just thinking of a product that people buy doesn't create a successful business plan
You need to know cost vs gain
How much time you need to invest
How long before seeing profit
How to get exposure
What's the best product (people buy pencils too)
What's the best avenue to sell
What makes you stand out vs your competitors

Hatzalacha

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:08 am
I am not a seller on any platform, but from the information I read Walmart is also a good platform that many sellers are expanding to

synthy

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:16 am
amother OP wrote:
I work in e-commerce.
Toys are challenging because they must have lab testing to be CPSC compliant, among others. Amazon won’t let you sell it otherwise.
So if you want to start out with just a small qty to test the market, the lab tests can eat into your profits.
In addition, customs may decide to further inspect your items at the port, which you then have to pay for storage fees. This happens at random.
But, a more challenging product might mean less competition.

synthy

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:19 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
My friend told me that her son did well selling on eBay. Then he wanted to try out amazon. It was complicated. He watched many tutorial videos. He had to apply and get accepted. Each product he wanted to sell first had to be approved by amazon. He was part of chats that sold the items in bulk so if something was listed at a good price he would buy a few cases. Then amazon had to approve of the items before he listed them.
Often they did not approve of an item for no understandable reason. For example they did not approve for him to list dash cams. He has a few hundred pieces. For some reason they did approve milk frothers. He sold them out within a few days. That’s all the info I know. It seems to be a bit tricky to sell on amazon while being very easy to sell on eBay.
We are seeing extremely low sales on eBay with mid range priced items. Maybe cheap gadgets sell there.
Walmart marketplace is good, Target is good but it might be an invite only program.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:23 am
A few years ago we signed up for quite an expensive course. It was thousands of dollars. Luckily we were able to get her money back. We tried so hard to put up a sellers account on Amazon and we just couldn’t do it. That was after we spent. I would say six months working many many hours using all the information to try to figure out how to find a product That would make enough money. And we cannot find one product that would make us enough money to make us that much time. It is really really really hard. There are those that are successful, but most are not successful and they wind up with a lot of stock that they can’t even sell. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones but definitely not make money. Quick

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:29 am
synthy wrote:
I work in e-commerce.
Toys are challenging because they must have lab testing to be CPSC compliant, among others. Amazon won’t let you sell it otherwise.
So if you want to start out with just a small qty to test the market, the lab tests can eat into your profits.
In addition, customs may decide to further inspect your items at the port, which you then have to pay for storage fees. This happens at random.
But, a more challenging product might mean less competition.

Yup
Laws and regulations
Another point to consider op

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:03 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
I am not a seller on any platform, but from the information I read Walmart is also a good platform that many sellers are expanding to

People sell their own things on walmarts website? Is that what your saying?

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 8:22 am
amother OP wrote:
People sell their own things on walmarts website? Is that what you’re saying?

There are 3rd party sellers on Walmart. It’s known as the Marketplace.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:10 am
I also want to add that amazon is slowly leaning toward owning all listings. they are making it harder for sellers to make any money, and be approved to sell, thereby giving them more space to sell things themselves.
If you have a private label item that's a different story, but anything with a popular well known brand is being sold more and more from amazon themselves.
they will also shut your listing down on account of being counterfeit ( even though that is false) and then start selling the same item the next day.
speaking from experience.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics