Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Non-Jewish daycare wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:00 pm
I need extended hours babysitting during the week until 6 pm because of my work schedule. I have searched and searched and cannot find a Jewish babysitting group that can accommodate. There is a non Jewish daycare in my neighborhood that would work perfectly but there are no other Jewish kids. I’m sure they take good care of the babies so I’m not concerned on that end. I just feel uncomfortable abt it not being Jewish and also wondering how it would work when she starts eating solids and grabbing food from other kids that isn’t kosher… what would you do?

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:14 pm
Please don’t send. I am in my 40’s and have a memory of when I was a young child maybe 3. I was staying at my grandparents - I think my younger sister was born. My grandmother went to work and left me at a non Jewish daycare. I remember seeing children and caretakers of various ethnicities. My grandmother sent me along with food. Lunchtime came and they had a big bowl of soup and went from mouth to mouth feeding us. (Eeeeeeeewwwwww!!!) I remember feeling like it was wrong. I remember not telling my grandmother about it because I was embarrassed. Till today I worry about the non kosher food I ate.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:16 pm
You need to work so you need an appropriate daycare. You will send all of the food and obviously explain everything. I don't see an issue.

Trademark

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:16 pm
Is it possible to send to a Jewish daycare and then have someone in your home?

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:17 pm
I think you need to discuss this with the staff. I sent my baby to a Jewish but not religious playgroup because of the hours. There was a lot of staff and they knew that my child was only allowed to eat the food I sent. Either they are fed in a high chair or at a very low table when they are a little older. The kids definitely weren't grabbing food from each other. I would suggest bringing your own high chair and asking that your child always be fed in the high chair and no one else should be allowed to use it.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:22 pm
What would I do?
I wouldn't send to a non Jewish place.
Her neshama is too holy.

It's tough. I hope you find a good solution!!

amother
OP

Trademark wrote:
Is it possible to send to a Jewish daycare and then have someone in your home?

Who would pick up my baby and bring her to the babysitter after?

#BestBubby

I am more concerned about baby being in care until 6 pm, regardless of jewish or not.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:23 pm
There is no Jewish daycare where I live. I don’t see an issue with the food , if it’s a well run professional daycare the kids are not sharing food

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:24 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I am more concerned about baby being in care until 6 pm, regardless of jewish or not.

I wish I can be a stay at home mom but I can’t.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:26 pm
tichellady wrote:
There is no Jewish daycare where I live. I don’t see an issue with the food , if it’s a well run professional daycare the kids are not sharing food
ok that’s good to know thanks. I guess it could be the same as if a baby had allergies and could only eat foods from home, they would have to be careful in that case too.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 5:27 pm
If I needed those hours which I dont judge you for sometimes life goes that way, I would much prefer a nanny share with another family. Is that an option?

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:45 pm
My two year old goes to a non-Jewish daycare and LOVES it. We are also very happy with it. It's super well run and the teachers are extremely loving and accommodating with whatever we need. The are very careful about sharing food because of allergies and restrictions. My son still knows all about shabbat, Israel, kissing the mezuzah, saying shema and modeh ani, singing Jewish songs, and everything else we'd want him to know at his age. Most people in my neighborhood do not send to Jewish childcare.

Lol thank you for the passive aggressive hug within five minutes 🙄

Last edited by icedcoffee on Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:47 pm
amother Banana wrote:
What would I do?
I wouldn't send to a non Jewish place.
Her neshama is too holy.

It's tough. I hope you find a good solution!!

Agree.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:50 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Op wasn’t asking your opinion on this
Please don’t judge a woman without knowing her circumstances…

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:52 pm
My dd works in a non jewish daycare. You’ll be surprised that perhaps one of the teachers is jewish and maybe even a child or two.
Also if it is a legal, clean and well regulated and run daycare, you should not have a problem with sharing food. They are not allowed to.
Not an easy choice. I’m sure you have looked at all possible solutions and this is what you can do.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:55 pm
I would send until 1 yr old maybe if I had no other solutions, for sure not after that!
Some non jews understand kashrus and some not at all!!

I have a 2yr old playgroup and you would be shocked on how much jewish knowledge kids pick up at that age!!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:01 pm
I sent a child to a non Jewish school because that's what was appropriate for her.
She learned about all the non Jewish holidays. At home I acknowledged the projects and threw them out after she went to sleep.
The food was all sent from home and anything that needed to be warmed up I sent double wrapped.
The kids should not be sharing food. Besides that it's gross, there are also allergies that the day care needs to watch for.
Daycare is different than school but my point is you do what you have to. What's right for you.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:13 pm
I only use non Jewish daycare. BH my kids get and hot gotten excellent care. The professionalism is next level. It’s extremely expensive but I’m thrilled with the care. I need the hours and tried 2 other daycares (1 heimish) and you can’t compare the development nurturing and engagement that my babies get now than anywhere else.

Eta: sharing food is ever allowed. Daycare is so secular they don’t even acknowledge Halloween (certainly not x-mas)

chestnut

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:17 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Because it's so unheard of women having to work full day and not being to afford a private babysitter?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics