Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Thank You Harry

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 12:23 am
My thoughts exactly...

From haemptza..

No one was more upset than I was at the Chilul HaShem that was unfolding at the time. But this is not the moment to rehash all of those things the way Mrs. Mandel did. Because the 'crime' against Rubashkin far outweighed what he did in my view. His prison sentence was so harsh that it begged for a resolution like this long before it finally happened last Wednesday.

This was instead the time to thank President Trump for his compassion, not to the time point out how evil Rubashkin may have been. It was the time to point out the near universal agreement about the injustice of his sentence. Which was finally righted.

It is understandable that an Orthodox Jew is the one that felt the need to remind the world of the crimes he was accused of - and the crime he was convicted of. But at the same time the timing was way off. Why dampen a moment of great joy his family now feels? What is gained by talking about it now?

Let the Rubashkins have their moment! Let them enjoy it without having to put up with all of the negative reminders published in a widely circulated Jewish medium. That would have been the more compassionate thing to do. The lessons that need to be learned from the wrongdoing of an Orthodox Jew could have been delayed a few weeks… or even a few months. No one would have suffered if this had been done. I am so sorry that someone felt the need to do it now.

So yes, I have mixed emotions about both Rabbi Shafran’s article and Mrs. Mandel’s article. I agree with them. But I would not have said so publicly. At least not yet.

jkl

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 12:27 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
My thoughts exactly...

From haemptza..

No one was more upset than I was at the Chilul HaShem that was unfolding at the time. But this is not the moment to rehash all of those things the way Mrs. Mandel did. Because the 'crime' against Rubashkin far outweighed what he did in my view. His prison sentence was so harsh that it begged for a resolution like this long before it finally happened last Wednesday.

This was instead the time to thank President Trump for his compassion, not to the time point out how evil Rubashkin may have been. It was the time to point out the near universal agreement about the injustice of his sentence. Which was finally righted.

It is understandable that an Orthodox Jew is the one that felt the need to remind the world of the crimes he was accused of - and the crime he was convicted of. But at the same time the timing was way off. Why dampen a moment of great joy his family now feels? What is gained by talking about it now?

Let the Rubashkins have their moment! Let them enjoy it without having to put up with all of the negative reminders published in a widely circulated Jewish medium. That would have been the more compassionate thing to do. The lessons that need to be learned from the wrongdoing of an Orthodox Jew could have been delayed a few weeks… or even a few months. No one would have suffered if this had been done. I am so sorry that someone felt the need to do it now.

So yes, I have mixed emotions about both Rabbi Shafran’s article and Mrs. Mandel’s article. I agree with them. But I would not have said so publicly. At least not yet.

I am in total agreement with you, but I also have very mixed feelings about the hero's welcome being accorded to him. While I do think that it was necessary to display a public acknowledgement of thanks and gratefulness, I also think this over-the-top public response to his release sends the wrong message.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics