Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher l'pesach (erev Pesach)

amother

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 4:48 am
What does this mean? At my SIL there was a certain product marked Kosher L'Pesach, and underneath it said "Erev Pesach". What could that mean?

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 5:03 am
amother wrote:
What does this mean? At my SIL there was a certain product marked Kosher L'Pesach, and underneath it said "Erev Pesach". What could that mean?

It was manufactured before Pesach.

Liba

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 5:20 am
My understanding was that it was put on products that were produced through grain products (cows which eat chometz usually) and the products are kosher l'pesach mehadrin if they are purchased before pesach but once it is pesach it is an issue to purchase then since you are getting hanaa from the chometz the cows ate which you can't do on Pesach.

Inspired

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 6:40 am
I was told it has to do with the production process in dairy which has a chashash chometz, that is batel only if you buy it erev pesach.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 2:49 pm
Some people, ourselves included, only use dairy products which were produced on Erev Pesach. This is because, like Inspired said, if chometz got into the milk/cheese/whatever on erev Pesach it is Batel Beshishim. If it got into it on Pesach it is not.

BTW this is not a Chassidish thing. My dad z"l told me that his bubby used to only buy dairy on Erev Pesach.

freidasima

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 4:10 pm
At least we HAVE dairy...do you know one of the reasons that many people used to not have milchigs on pesach at all? my grandmother told me that until much later years she never had a milchig set of pesach dishes! You couldn't get KLP dairy products in America 90 years ago in most places, and so you just ate pareve and fleishigs all week!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 4:53 pm
Many people hold that milk isn't produced in the same factories as chametzdik stuff (if it is, it is written as some people could be allergic to gluten or nuts etc) so it doesn't even need a kosher le pessach hechsher, same for plain butter and plain juices. They hold a regular kosher hechsher or being on the kosher list is fine. From what I know this is not understood/accepted out of Europe.

By us it's not a mitsva to be fanatic. It's just a mitsva to not eat chametz...

edited: of course water (don't laugh, I have seen water with a hechsher, even a KLP hechsher in Israel), honey too, plain cheese too, coca too (although machlokes?), some alcohols with unchanging recipe (thanks google lol)

Last edited by Ruchel on Wed, Mar 31 2010, 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 4:58 pm
In the early years we lived in the U.S. (late 1980s) we were instructed to buy the regular milk before Pesach and use it during. I don't remember about butter. Certain juice, such as 100% oj concentrate which came frozen in a can were acceptable without hashgacha as well. This, from a Lubab rabbi. The cholov Yisrael milk, which we bought the first year in America because we didn't know yet about the allowances was disgusting (sour).

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 4:59 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Some people, ourselves included, only use dairy products which were produced on Erev Pesach. This is because, like Inspired said, if chometz got into the milk/cheese/whatever on erev Pesach it is Batel Beshishim. If it got into it on Pesach it is not.

BTW this is not a Chassidish thing. My dad z"l told me that his bubby used to only buy dairy on Erev Pesach.

in my city everyone gets their milk and cream (a special cy run) erev pesach. this includes ppl who are not even shomer shabbos.

Zus

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 5:00 pm
I removed some inappropriate posts. Please stay respectful of each other's minhagim.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 5:04 pm
Sometimes we are required to act in ways that appear like lunacy for the sake of Hashem. But it's never a mitzva to be a lunatic.

I think that if a person feels pushed over the deep end of rationality and sanity by a certain practice that goes beyond actual halacha, the person can't do it and still remain an honest, sincere eved Hashem. If one feels okay with it, fine.

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 31 2010, 11:40 pm
Years ago (15? 20?) in Toronto the Va'ad haRabonim issued a pre-Pesach statement basically saying that they couldn't keep up with the demand for Pesach stickers on the fresh milk cartons/bags during the chag/chol hamoed season (on the regular milk...don't remember about CY) and that it COULD be used without the special Pesach sticker unless they issued a new statement to the contrary. AFAIK this is their policy to this day; they do NOT sticker the fresh milk and it is still considered KLPEP.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen