Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Did not have what to eat for supper today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:15 am
amother Rose wrote:
Baltimore has a free lunch program during the summer. There are boxes for a week, similar to the covid boxes. It's just a summer thing and not just for the frum community - it's state wide I think.

Yes. We have weekly pickups with seven day food supplies per child. There are many locations but you can only go to one location per provider. Plus if you get free lunches you get summer ebt. Plus regular wic and regular ebt. BH lots of food in the summer!!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:35 am
Op, you mentioned your oldest is 7. Then you are considered a young family. As respected as your husband is for that stage in life its perfectly acceptable to take. Many families with young kids are on programs or get help.

I disagree with not being eligible for wicked. Somewhere your making a mistake. Wic is one of the easiest programs to apply to. Some of the middle class get it also. It's also quicker than food stamps to apply. They need less Information. Unless you really so above the category. If that is the case easiest is to speak to the Jewish supermarkets most would allow you to give a check. You put your phone numberon it. Then post date. Hopefully it goes through by the time it gets deposited.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 9:56 am
gm ladies
so it thought things will get better magically today and I logged onto my bank account and its minus over $100

I hear people are saying food is priority
but so is tuition, mortgage.....

I simply have a crazy budget to cover every month
and like I said we usually do figure it out but now I am stuck....

decided I will post my cashapp and delete shortly bec I can keep it the most anonymous [deleted. Please ask Yael before posting - mod]

I will obviously donate the money to tomchei shabbos when I am able to and things can get easier, to pay it forward....

all you people generously offering food is amazing but I really really don't feel comfortable even though I am in some of the locations mentioned

like I said you would never imagine its someone that you think is making it , thats posting it Sad

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:06 am
amother OP wrote:

like I said you would never imagine its someone that you think is making it , thats posting it Sad

And this is why the chesed orginazations exist! People who have what to give WANT to give! Sometimes people need Hatzalah. Sometimes people need Chaveirim. Sometimes people need Shomrim. Sometimes people need Tomchei Shabbos. It’s part of life.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:10 am
amother OP wrote:
gm ladies
so it thought things will get better magically today and I logged onto my bank account and its minus over $100

I hear people are saying food is priority
but so is tuition, mortgage.....

I simply have a crazy budget to cover every month
and like I said we usually do figure it out but now I am stuck....

decided I will post my cashapp and delete shortly bec I can keep it the most anonymous

I will obviously donate the money to tomchei shabbos when I am able to and things can get easier, to pay it forward....

all you people generously offering food is amazing but I really really don't feel comfortable even though I am in some of the locations mentioned

You should speak to your school and shul rav. They often have access to things they can help you with. I went from being wealthy to having negative accounts. I understand how you feel but you have to overcome the shame and use the community resources.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:13 am
100% I am usually on the giving side and donate to every fundraiser or organization that
comes my way
this is very challenging and embarrassing for me that I'm holding here....
doing this for my kids
and I promise all of you that I am 100% paying this forward imyh

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:15 am
I reached out to Rabbi Fuerst at Chicago Chesed Fund last year when I was having a really hard time with something financially and he was like don't worry I don't bite. I was so embarrassed to call and he was so so understanding. People want to help. If you happen to be in Chicago the amount of help you can get with discretion and privacy is amazing.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:32 am
If ur in the fine towns im happy to place an order for pickup for dinner for you tonight. I’ll put it under a random name so u can just walk In And pick it up and we’ll never know who each other is.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:34 am
amother OP wrote:
100% I am usually on the giving side and donate to every fundraiser or organization that
comes my way
this is very challenging and embarrassing for me that I'm holding here....
doing this for my kids
and I promise all of you that I am 100% paying this forward imyh

Can you pay it forward by giving to yourself instead of every request that comes your way? You need a cushion. If you don't have a steady income and your husband's income doesn't come close to covering expenses you need a way to ensure this doesn't happen again. Your kids are getting old enough to notice that there's no food in the house. The neighbors may not see beyond the nice car and dressing your kids nicely but your kids will 100% see if you prioritize your reputation over their stability and well being.

I am glad you are willing to at least receive help here. I hope Yael is able to approve this quickly.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 10:56 am
The cashapp you posted was deleted. Is there a way to post it?
[it was removed with a note that OP Needs to get the ok from Yael before reposting - mod]

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 1:06 pm
Whats cashapp? I only have zelle or venmo, does that connect to cashapp?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:19 pm
HI just to update
its ok that its removed
I bh figured out some other resources
was just so desperate in morning

and no , nobody paid me yet Twisted Evil

foreverwaiting

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:32 pm
Op I didnt read thru all the responses but if u live in 5t/fr area please pm. There is food in my house the kids aren't touching it's a Chessed if it goes to good use. If not please pm anyway I'll try to iyh put credit on account at a local grocery or a supper order you can pick up noone needs to know who paid. Please get more long term help. I understand you have open bills ur waiting on payment. Not ur fault but you still need to eat! You can also maybe pm yael a local store/grocery and maybe she can be the middle man so you can get food and remain completely anonymous.

egam

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:43 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Taking food from food pantries is really not that embarrassing , there are ways you can do it in a drive through or if you are embarrassed to be seen by friends go to a non Jewish one. They typically have a lot of produce and grain products that are kosher . Pride shouldn’t come before feeding your kids, whether it’s in the form of a loan, food pantry, help from family, or random tzedakah. Sometimes you need to lower your standards and prioritize. Your husband doesn’t have to know if he is opposed.

This. They would have produce, peanut butter, canned veggies, rice and pasta. Maybe even eggs.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:53 pm
Op, I also want to point out that the economy is doing very badly. Real estate is doing badly. I know of so many people that have made cuts in some way.

The people here could contribute. It may get you through shabbosf. It's not a long term solution your kids will get older they will eat more food. It
Get yourself out of middle class if you don't have money for food. You will get alot more help from all the programs. I also really don't believe you could be making that much money not to get $1 from food stamps . Since covid food stamps has been very generous. You probably are not aware. No matter what your using your money for to keep your image in the public. Food insecurity could effect you kid mentally. It's not worth the damage you could do.

For ts even if you know somone that works their. Their are diffrent people that take care of it no one will know the full information. You could be anonymous afaik. They could work it out in a way that no one sees you. No one comes to you. You could also pick the box up and pretend to pick it up for somone.Their are people that have relatives picking it up for them. You could get them along with wic. Or foodstamps. Your grocery bill will be alot smaller and more affordable.

hodeez

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 3:55 pm
Davening for you

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
HI just to update
its ok that its removed
I bh figured out some other resources
was just so desperate in morning

and no , nobody paid me yet Twisted Evil

Did you follow up with them and say payment is past due?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:16 pm
I got an email recently that my local Agudah is looking for a part time graphic designer. If you wanted to send me an email address I can forward it. I dont know where you live but maybe could be remote? Then you can have more consistent income and no chasing clients for payment.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 4:17 pm
If you're in Manchester, UK I'd like to leave food somewhere for you.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Jun 20 2024, 5:56 pm
I don't know if anyone has suggested this, and I don't have time to find out, so here's one idea. If you're embarrassed to be seen at a food pantry, go to a non-Jewish one a little further out where nobody knows you. There should be plenty of kosher options, such as pasta, canned beans, etc. I hope your situation improves!
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics