Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Are there still Harry communities
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
  Gardenia  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:35 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
OT but I'm confused about the above. Do different groups go to the grocery store on different days?

I’ve never seen this. Light green, can you explain?

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Lol those are in-town companies!
[I]

Yes but unless you’re talking toddler clothes they cost the same as Target or old navy, but are tzenua. Many simple OOT people but it online

amother
  Gardenia  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My feeling is this and anyone can disagree.

I am in the midwest, a 12 hour drive from Lakewood etc. We have what feels to me a good balance regarding gashmius. It exists but it’s not in your face. I feel like the farther you’re willing to move out of your comfort zone materially the less you care about keeping up with every trend etc. Because if it’s really something super important to you can move to Baltimore and still spend a lot of time in Lakewood. Or Philly. If you’re moving to Chicago, Phoenix, Vegas, Denver. Dallas you’re making a more deliberate choice. OP I would look west.

Moving west won’t help. There will always be brands that have to be worn, and if it isn’t a frum brand that’s $$$$ it’ll be a different brand. Lululemon is everywhere. Alo is everywhere. Amazon sells hard tail. All it takes is to get one from magazine and the most out of town community will know about every frum store. (Don’t say Baltimore won’t, sometimes the stores run out of magazines before Shabbos and how many people get home delivery?)

mha3484  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:42 pm
I agree that those brands are national companies and are liked by a wide range of people but my feeling is that you do you etc exists more when you go farther then what most consider the epicenter of frum materialism.

amother
  Snowflake

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:49 pm
Op, Scranton and Cincinnati might work.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:50 pm
I was visiting in Philadelphia lately and there are a number of communities there that seem to match your description. In the area of House of Kosher supermarket.

amother
  Gardenia  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 12:51 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I agree that those brands are national companies and are liked by a wide range of people but my feeling is that you do you etc exists more when you go farther then what most consider the epicenter of frum materialism.

Don’t think so. People from the west are also moving, except they’re coming east, and then they meet and you have a whole new list of must haves from both sides.

amother
Moonstone  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:00 pm
Definitely St Louis, University City. Either U City shul or the Agudah (it's a very chill, balabatish Agudah) but probably more U City Shul. Chicago could work depending a bit on what shul you'd go to and if you'd be okay with a more modern elementary school if you ended up not going through with homeschooling

mha3484  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 1:34 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Definitely St Louis, University City. Either U City shul or the Agudah (it's a very chill, balabatish Agudah) but probably more U City Shul. Chicago could work depending a bit on what shul you'd go to and if you'd be okay with a more modern elementary school if you ended up not going through with homeschooling

St Louis is a great idea. If OP is interested in Chicago we have solid options for elementary school that aren't too modern for her. We have co ed MO, Single Gender RWMO/JPF and yeshivish. Also montessori.

amother
  Moonstone

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:02 pm
mha3484 wrote:
St Louis is a great idea. If OP is interested in Chicago we have solid options for elementary school that aren't too modern for her. We have co ed MO, Single Gender RWMO/JPF and yeshivish. Also montessori.

Definitely not disparaging the school options in Chicago! Part of why we live here is because there are some really great schools. I just know some people prefer to send to schools that are more Yeshivish than them rather than more modern if a perfect fit isn't an option (and OP sounds like her family is probably somewhere between Arie Crown and YTT/JDBY and I wouldn't call YTT/JDBY harryish) but also we're newer to town and not yet sending to school so definitely take what I say with a grain of salt

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:10 pm
I've been here for a long time, I am very happy. But the first line of her post being full of people who don't care at all made me not rush to suggest it. It ticks her other boxes though. We are a big mix of all kinds. Plenty of people shop at my neighbors pop up store which is last seasons Lakewood clothing at cheap prices and some shop at the full price store selling what is currently in fashion. We are all a mix. Also I am older and have had a lot of kids so I moved over to wearing what makes me look good vs what everyone else wears. A lot of my friends are like this too.

amother
  Gray

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:22 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
I grew up in Baltimore and live here as an adult and it is not the community it used to be. There is a much larger contingent of in towners living here and frum brands vs target and old navy are definitely more the norm. I don't have kids in school yet but I have siblings and nieces in BY and there seems to be a fair amount of peer pressure to fit in. That being said, there is still a nice chunk of the community who can still be called Harrys so if you're okay not caring then it's a great place to live!

The issue is not if the adults will care, it’s if the kids will care, and most kids will care, even if they take well to being told no.

amother
  Tan

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:25 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
OT but I'm confused about the above. Do different groups go to the grocery store on different days?

I live in Baltimore (I’m one of the people who suggested Silver Spring for the OP) and I have never heard or noticed this.
To the amother who wrote about the yeshivish men avoiding certain shopping times- what days and times would those even be???

amother
  Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:33 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
women and girls can't ride bikes in Baltimore??

We certainly can and I wouldnt think twice about it. The more yeshivish crowd would not.

amother
  Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 2:41 pm
amother Gray wrote:
The issue is not if the adults will care, it’s if the kids will care, and most kids will care, even if they take well to being told no.

I honestly wonder if it's even possible these days to find a US community where at least some of the kids aren't into name brands and gashmius. Our kids might be less online and connected than most, but it's hard to stay totally isolated these days IMHO.

amother
Silver  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:08 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
We certainly can and I wouldnt think twice about it. The more yeshivish crowd would not.

Yeshivish girls ride bikes in Baltimore. The yeshivish women certainly would if they were at a park or bike rental or whatnot. If you don't see yeshivish women in Baltimore riding bikes, that's just because it's not the typical thing most women do, on various ends of the frum spectrum. I rarely see MO women riding bikes around their neighborhood, either. It's not because of tznius reasons.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:21 pm
Orlando Florida definitely sounds like a good fit.

melbee

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:33 pm
South Bend is worth looking into. It seems to check all your boxes.

Last edited by melbee on Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Begonia  

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
I honestly wonder if it's even possible these days to find a US community where at least some of the kids aren't into name brands and gashmius. Our kids might be less online and connected than most, but it's hard to stay totally isolated these days IMHO.

is some so terrible?

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 3:48 pm
I second (third?) the recommendation to move to Northeast Philadelphia.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating