Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
I am very curious about not making aliyah
  Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 9:36 am
small bean wrote:
I'm not sure I was hugged.

You can't disagree with how I feel about israel. You can say that you don't feel like that. You also can't disagree with me about my husband, who you don't know.

I have a lot of family there, my parents and 4 siblings. Tons of cousins. If I liked the lifestyle and culture, I'd move there.

I agree with u. I wouldn’t stand the lifestyle for even five mins. I’ll see ya all in jerusalem when moshiach comes iyh very soon! Till then I will call USA my lovely home sweet home and happy and feel safe to be here !

amother
Burntblack

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:38 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
Well, for one, my degree is not recognized there

What do you do?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:43 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
Exactly. I, for one, find these posts extremely hurtful. I've always wanted to make aliyah long before the millions of my friends who are suddenly interested in living in Israel. My inability to do so yet is none of your business and definitely not "excuses" but it has nothing to do with not wanted to go. And yes, I am well aware of the antisemitism. I live in the thick of it. But for me, that's not relevant as far as aloya is concerned. I've always had a burning desire to live in Israel- not to run there for safety.

Every time threads like this come up someone replies with what wrote above and specifically with what I bolded.

I dont understand because the STATE of israel aas literally formed so that ANY jew anywhere and at any time, that needs to run away, can!
Why is that a bad thing? Its not. Eretz Ysrael is there for us, whenever we need it.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Every time threads like this come up someone replies with what wrote above and specifically with what I bolded.

I dont understand because the STATE of israel aas literally formed so that ANY jew anywhere and at any time, that needs to run away, can!
Why is that a bad thing? Its not. Eretz Ysrael is there for us, whenever we need it.

I respect you and your opinions greatly, but I think you may have been in Israel for so long that you have forgotten the American mentality. YOU, living in Israel, may feel very safe, but to many living abroad, this war is a very scary thing. It doesn’t seem so safe. For many, it would be trading in one kind of unsafe living for another. Feeling that Israel is currently not safe is very valid, even if those living there feel safe.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:56 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I respect you and your opinions greatly, but I think you may have been in Israel for so long that you have forgotten the American mentality. YOU, living in Israel, may feel very safe, but to many living abroad, this war is a very scary thing. It doesn’t seem so safe. For many, it would be trading in one kind of unsafe living for another. Feeling that Israel is currently not safe is very valid, even if those living there feel safe.

I never once mentioned the current war.
And no, I havent been here too long. This is what I learned and always felt.
Not talking about the war, Israel was founded for exactly what the poster wrote, if one needs to run to safety.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:58 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I never once mentioned the current war.
And no, I havent been here too long. This is what I learned and always felt.
Not talking about the war, Israel was founded for exactly what the poster wrote, if one needs to run to safety.

It was, but with the current situation, many people don’t feel that it’s safe, or safer.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 11:03 am
Why would I choose October 7 level attacks over some people yelling dirty Jew? Being kidnapped and burned to death seems a lot worse to me.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 11:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Oh absolutely. My point was simply that my desire to make aliyah far predated the "need" to as a response to world antisemitism. And still, I see no reason to share my current reasons we are not able to at this moment. I think people disguising judgement as "curiosity" is laughable.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 11:21 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
What do you do?

I don’t want to out myself too much, but I’m some sort of psychotherapist with a masters degree that’s not recognized to practice in Israel

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 12:09 pm
We all love Israel and those of us who are lucky to live there are thankful for that. It’s our country and there’s no other place on earth like it. We don’t love Israel because it’s a safe place. It hasn’t been the safest place on earth for a Jew in a while. Many of the hundreds of chayalim who died had parents who made aliya. Sometimes I wonder how they feel.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 12:12 pm
Maybe this is controversial but in my circles (yeshivish lite/JPF) the only families who make Aliyah are those with “issues”. Not bad people but atypical in different ways. For example, many come from dysfunctional parents so have no close family ties keeping them in the US. Some have extreme financial, school, or social issues and it’s they’re hoping for a positive change in a new place. At the end of the day picking up your family and moving to a new country, changing your language, culture, friends, jobs is a radical act, a beautiful one but still radical, and most settled, healthy people in my circles understandably don’t do it.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 12:22 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Maybe this is controversial but in my circles (yeshivish lite/JPF) the only families who make Aliyah are those with “issues”. Not bad people but atypical in different ways. For example, many come from dysfunctional parents so have no close family ties keeping them in the US. Some have extreme financial, school, or social issues and it’s they’re hoping for a positive change in a new place. At the end of the day picking up your family and moving to a new country, changing your language, culture, friends, jobs is a radical act, a beautiful one but still radical, and most settled, healthy people in my circles understandably don’t do it.

I do agree with you actually.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 12:23 pm
My husband and I would love to but our kids are not on board. We asked a shaileh twice when they were younger and told not to. We are currently in middle of buying something to have just in case.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
My husband and I would love to but our kids are not on board. We asked a shaileh twice when they were younger and told not to. We are currently in middle of buying something to have just in case.

That’s nice, most people are not in the position to do that I wish we were though. I wish we could buy in E”Y and start going there often so my kids get acclimated.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:27 pm
thesoundofmusic wrote:
I just finished reading the yeshiva world news antisemitisem is terrifying.
attacks in new york, stamford hill, australia and more.
I am not asking this in a judgemental way I am really curious. why wouldnt someone choose to move to israel. I dont specifically mean right this second with the was going on
although my personal opinion is that even with the war going on israel is safer.
its not like people who made aliya 40 years ago that it was so hard and so different....
you can live in a beautiful home, find the mosdos that are matim for your family, tuition is a small percent of what it is in chutz laratz.
great health care. so many english speakers and best of all amazon that delivers)
oh - and the kedushah!
wondering what peoples thoughts are......

This was discussed here already in numerous threads. Do you really think it’s so simple for everyone to pick up, leave their jobs, their family, and everything else behind and make such a drastic move?

DrMom

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 2:41 pm
amother Babypink wrote:

I can't help but think that it's a pretty sad commentary on your community's values if the ONLY people who make Aliya are those who don't fit in with your community.

Reality

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Babypink wrote:

Thanks to people like you I got all the "lovely" comments I did when we were planning our aliyah. How brave of you to write your insults under amother!

No, we are "normal" and "healthy", thank you very much and have integrated very well, BH. You see people with social skills can use them in whatever country they live in.

And we now know many other regular, run of the mill families who have made aliyah. None of us were running away from anything or anyone. We actually are the normal ones. Hope you are able to become one of the normal ones one of these days too!

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 3:02 pm
DrMom wrote:
I can't help but think that it's a pretty sad commentary on your community's values if the ONLY people who make Aliya are those who don't fit in with your community.

I live in a chareidi community in Israel. Of the chutnikim here, most are either more frum that they grew up, or they have a complicated family background. It's not a bad thing. But it's mich easier to move so far when you don't have family that you could totally rely on and relate to.
Many also are from OOT. I certainly did not want to raise a family in the town I grew up in. It was too oot to feel comfortable in a NY/NJ community. Israel made sense.
It makes perfect sense for my brothers to live in the US. Israel is not the right place for them, or their families, right now.

ProudMommie

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 3:04 pm
Reality wrote:
Thanks to people like you I got all the "lovely" comments I did when we were planning our aliyah. How brave of you to write your insults under amother!

No, we are "normal" and "healthy", thank you very much and have integrated very well, BH. You see people with social skills can use them in whatever country they live in.

And we now know many other regular, run of the mill families who have made aliyah. None of us were running away from anything or anyone. We actually are the normal ones. Hope you are able to become one of the normal ones one of these days too!

Shavua tov! Thank you for expressing MY feelings. How sad it is that people who yearn for EY and are moiser nefesh are looked upon As defective...everything in this world is afuch. I honestly have no words ...how can a jew with a Yiddishe heart not want to be in our amazing holy land??

Success10

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 3:11 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I live in a chareidi community in Israel. Of the chutnikim here, most are either more frum that they grew up, or they have a complicated family background. It's not a bad thing. But it's mich easier to move so far when you don't have family that you could totally rely on and relate to.
Many also are from OOT. I certainly did not want to raise a family in the town I grew up in. It was too oot to feel comfortable in a NY/NJ community. Israel made sense.
It makes perfect sense for my brothers to live in the US. Israel is not the right place for them, or their families, right now.

My observations are similar to this. Many of those who chose to live away from their family and hometown often have a reason for it, beyond just their love for Israel. It doesn't mean they are off or dysfunctional, though.
Page 3 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions