Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Non-Jewish daycare wwyd?
Previous  1  2

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I need extended hours babysitting during the week until 6 pm because of my work schedule. I have searched and searched and cannot find a Jewish babysitting group that can accommodate. There is a non Jewish daycare in my neighborhood that would work perfectly but there are no other Jewish kids. I’m sure they take good care of the babies so I’m not concerned on that end. I just feel uncomfortable abt it not being Jewish and also wondering how it would work when she starts eating solids and grabbing food from other kids that isn’t kosher… what would you do?

I send to a non Jewish daycare for the hours as well.
For allergy purposes most have to be careful. Just tell them to only feed what you give your child. The only hard part is when they’re more toddler age and sitting at tables with other kids they may reach over and grab a snack (the moments the teacher isn’t paying attention or tending to another kid). And if they bring in snacks for parties make sure to let the teacher know they can only have kosher

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:13 pm
I didn’t end up sending but almost did. Most legal non Jewish daycares are extremely professional and great with the kids. Some have cameras that parents can check into at any time.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:36 pm
The important thing is that they aren't abusive

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:46 pm
My office had a daycare on the first floor. One teacher was jewish (not frum) and there were a few jewish kids (very few frum--and very MO. maybe 3 other frum and another 2 or 3 not frum) in the daycare--whose parents worked in the building.

I was very hesitant, but the hours were great, the rates were great, and I could nurse my child during breaks. I decided to send my new born for a year and then see. They were very careful with food in general. My son had food allergies so I said they couldn't give him any food I didn't send. They were really good about it. It was such a warm and amazing atmosphere, I kept my son there until he was 3. When the other kids starting asking what the strings were hanging out of his pants, I decided it was time to switch. My daughter was born a little after and I sent her too. But only for a few months as we moved away when she was almost 6 months old.

It was in the same building and I popped in, so I saw what went on there. If it was near, but not in building I would be hesitant.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:49 pm
I wouldn’t send. I work in an excellent daycare and have seen even good Morah’s deviate occasionally from a parents’ requests when things got super hectic or a kid for some reason was inconsolable. I’m talking about harmlesss things such as giving a paci outside nap time. The thing is with frum Morahs you know that giving treif food is something that will never happen. Non Jewish caretakers may do their best to follow your wishes, but under pressure may not see what the big deal of giving a little non kosher food. Also mistakes and mixups can happen and toddlers sometimes share food. You might say that with allergy concerns they have to be careful any ways. You might be right but I for one wouldn’t want to risk it if I didn’t have to.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 9:51 pm
If the daycare is well regulated with security cameras etc, you are better off than some frum Morah’s that hire a bunch of illegal immigrants who have no accountability and do not speak English to watch kids and keep doors locked so parents may not pop in and see what chaos is going on.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 4:40 am
Depends. Will they honor your food and only give it? Do they understand? If they do, then under gil chinuch I say it's possible. You may get really annoyed at all the xmas stuff around that period, tho. FTR many do that in places it is cheap or free for working parents, bringing the food.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 6:26 am
I have the after school babysitter pick up my child and bring them home and then watch in my house until I get home. I liked this system better because I felt like it was easier on the kid to have a shorter day and then hang out at home.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 9:43 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics