Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Music production for the non-musical

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 11:51 am
Is this at all possible? My teenage son, who is obsessed with computers, was offered to take a course in music production. (is that what it is called?) Basically, he would go to a studio and learn how to use the program LogicPro to record and mix music. He is eager to do this because he loves computers and he loves listening to music.

I am potentially interested in sending him because he has a lot of time on his hands and uses it to try to hack computers, get around filters, and spend hours watching/listening on YouTube. (he doesn't do it for trouble; he does the hacking and filter stuff because it's fun and he loves outsmarting technology).

However, he has 0 ear for the music itself. Meaning, he is not musical. He can't sing on key. He doesn't understand what harmony is.

I am thinking I should say no (I'd have to pay for the course; not cheap) but on the other hand, maybe having another avenue of something healthy(?) to do with a computer would be a good outlet for him.

Course, he listens to all sorts of music, ranging from Jewish to weird non-Jewish (he often has contests with his siblings to see who can find the weirdest song). I don't need him producing more of the weird stuff he enjoys.

WWYD?

To clarify: he would learn all this at a local studio AND would be allowed to go in and practice (and bring in his family to record) at his leisure. It's a bit of a loose studio and they are okay with him doing that.

Knowing him, I'm sure he will be asking for a MAC very soon. We don't have any Apple devices and I wasn't really interested in getting one for our house.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 12:33 pm
I’ve run a music studio and for most aspects you have to be extremely musical.
When he is mixing he will be dealing with volumes and harmonies and and how wet or dry a vocal is. He needs a good ear for all that.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 2:41 pm
I’m curious as well, I also have an opportunity to learn music production but I don’t play any instruments. I am musical though, I am good at hearing and picking things out, and have a good ear for pitch and rhythm. But I can’t come up with harmonies on the spot. I can pick out tunes on piano, but very slowly. It doesn’t just come instinctively, I have to test a few keys before I find the right one for each note.

Would I be able to learn music production?

airmontmomm

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:05 am
There are plenty other similar courses he can look into.

He might like video production, video editing, he can do low voltage, that’s a good problem solving job.
If he wants music specifically, he has to be very tuned, but there’s always audio engineering, (controlling all the volumes of music microphones and sounds) like by plays or weddings.
I’m sure there are plenty more examples. He can also opt for simple jobs like working at a computer filter store, they might benifit from his technical skills. Seems like he has a lot of talent, he just needs to find the right outlet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts