Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to wean off a sound machine

amother
OP

Post Today at 3:51 pm
I’ve read that it can contribute to noise sensitivity and auditory processing issues. My 16 month old is such a light sleeper and I use a sound machine always. Is there any way to successfully wean off of it? I’m so upset I started but my husband convinced me. I’ve never used one with my other kids and they aren’t as light sleepers so I feel it really contributed. However my house is loud and the bedrooms are steps away from the living room so I don’t know how to survive without it

yiddishjewish

Post Today at 4:26 pm
I still sleep with a sound machine and it hasn’t made any problems. I tried weaning myself off it (just cuz I couldn’t fall asleep if I didn’t have it) and nothing worked.
Hope it’s easier for little kids!

amother
Maize

Post Today at 4:29 pm
It really doesn’t cause problems. My kid have all used it for years they have no issues, are ahead of their classes and doing amazing. I actually attribute it to them being able to sleep straight through the night.

I didn’t have one as a child I was permanently sleep deprived since I was a light sleeper. My life changed when I started using one as an adult.

amother
Ebony

Post Today at 4:44 pm
I use one for my toddler 2 yo because we live in a small apartment and is easier like this because then I don't have to be scared of making noise after she goes to sleep.
Although she can sleep without it, she naps at playgroup without it, yom tov we stayed at my in laws and she slept fine without one, sometimes Shabbos I forget to leave it on before and she sleeps fine if we make sure to be quiet.
I think she'll be fine coming off it cold turkey when we move to a bigger house and her room is away from the noise.

chocolate moose

Post Today at 8:32 pm
I even travel with one

amother
Maple

Post Today at 8:54 pm
I would start by lowering the volume and each week a little quieter. 16 months is still young though I don’t think you need to rush it just yet. Maybe start when your child is 2/3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics