Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Same sibling name
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 8:38 pm
Is it weird to name my baby the same name as my brother just because we like the name not named after anyone?

amother
Fuchsia  

Post Yesterday at 8:41 pm
Not at all.

amother
Seablue

Post Yesterday at 8:41 pm
Yes. If their child is young it’s even worse. I was just talking to my friend who’s Sil did this and they were quite annoyed - not mad etc but just weirded out.

Raizle  

Post Yesterday at 8:42 pm
Well you might get questions but if you like it you can. He might be weirded out though

amother
Rose  

Post Yesterday at 8:42 pm
Names are not copyright. It's a free world.

Raizle  

Post Yesterday at 8:43 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
Yes. If their child is young it’s even worse. I was just talking to my friend who’s Sil did this and they were quite annoyed - not mad etc but just weirded out.

Whose child? She asked about naming the same name as her brother, not his child

amother
Nutmeg

Post Yesterday at 8:52 pm
My sister named her first daughter same name as my younger sister who actually named her oldest daughter same name as me...and then my brother named his daughter same name as my youngest sister...honestly it would never occur to me in a million years that any of us would mind...

amother
Blue

Post Yesterday at 8:59 pm
This is very community dependent. Communities where it's the norm to name after family members, cousins/aunts/uncles regularly have the same name. Communities where you pick a name that you like/is meaningful to you, you're rather to get negative vibes.

amother
Candycane

Post Yesterday at 9:01 pm
Unless you're Sefaradi, yes, it's weird. Most Ashkenazim try very hard not to give their children the same name as someone in their immediate (nuclear) family.

amother
  Rose  

Post Yesterday at 9:02 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Unless you're Sefaradi, yes, it's weird. Most Ashkenazim try very hard not to give their children the same name as someone in their immediate (nuclear) family.

Even if named after a family member?

amother
  Fuchsia

Post Yesterday at 9:07 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

Not at all true for my circles.

amother
Pumpkin  

Post Yesterday at 9:18 pm
2 of my kids have the same names as 2 of my siblings.

It’s very normal for aunts/nieces uncles/newphews to have the same name.

amother
Impatiens

Post Yesterday at 9:20 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

This is absolutely not true in the Ashkenazi world. Think of all the aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews all named after the same grandparents. Maybe it’s a thing in your family but in the ashkenzi world it’s super common to have the same names repeated over and over.

Raizle

Post Yesterday at 9:22 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
to be more specific people don't name the same name as a live parent. Siblings/aunts uncles are not as much of an issue. Especially when naming after a grandparent or ancestor often they nieces/nephews have the same name as uncles/aunts
In OPs situation however there is no one being named after so she might be questioned about it. But it's her choice and no one gets to challenge her on her and her husband choice

amother
Plum

Post Yesterday at 9:24 pm
amother Rose wrote:
Even if named after a family member?

No. As far as I'm aware, the only rule is that Ashkenazim don't name after a living relative. But they can give the same name as a living relative if they're not naming after them specifically.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Yesterday at 9:26 pm
Of course it’s normal. It’s done very often when naming after a family member specifically a grandparent.
According to Halacha even siblings can have the same name (!) but it’s obviously something we don’t normally do.
Cousins, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles- of course they might have the same family name.
I know a family where almost everyone who is married named their child Yaffa. The youngest aunt is also named Yaffa.
This happens all the time.

amother
  Pumpkin

Post Yesterday at 9:29 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
This is absolutely not true in the Ashkenazi world. Think of all the aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews all named after the same grandparents. Maybe it’s a thing in your family but in the ashkenzi world it’s super common to have the same names repeated over and over.

And rebbe/rebbetzen.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Yesterday at 9:40 pm
In Ashkenaz world it isn't weird. My son has the same name as my brother which was named for my grandfather. And all my siblings have a child with that same name. Not all called the same. And one of my other kids has the Same name as my other brother who was named for my great grandfather and I have many cousins with that name. Everyone can call their child what they want.

amother
Scarlet  

Post Yesterday at 9:49 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

I know many, many, many Ashkenazim who have kids named the same name as their siblings. They are, however, named after great grandparents and such.

In (some of) the sephardi world people give their living parents' names to their kids. Not their siblings.

Ema of 5  

Post Yesterday at 10:59 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

I don’t find this to be true. Many families have cousins/aunts/uncles with the same name. What ashkenazi families don’t do is SPECIFICALLY name after LIVING relatives. Liking a name is not the same thing as naming after that relative. For example, they won’t use the name Sara if that is a grandmother’s name, but if there is already a cousin or aunt with that name, many families will use it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names