Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Same sibling name
Previous  1  2

amother
Maroon

Post Today at 12:29 am
Totally normal in my (Ashkenazi) circles. We don't use the same name of living parents/grandparents, but we definitely will use the same name as our siblings.

amother
Jasmine

Post Today at 12:36 am
It's normal if you are all naming after the same person and hence cousins/aunts/uncles/nieces/nephews could have the same name (as posters responded). However, it sounds like you just want to name the same name because you like it and not naming after anyone. You could do what you want technically but I think it is a little weird.

JasmineDragon

Post Today at 12:51 am
I think it depends on your community/family norms. Growing up (with a lot of non-religious relatives), it was weird to give the same name as even a cousin. I would not use my siblings' names. I might end up using the same names for my children as their cousins, because I want to name after the same people as my sister did, and I feel really weird about it. I don't think my sister would mind but my extended family would definitely think it's weird/not ok. But they'd also consider it naming after someone to pick a different name with the same first letter.

essie14

Post Today at 1:13 am
amother Candycane wrote:
Unless you're Sefaradi, yes, it's weird. Most Ashkenazim try very hard not to give their children the same name as someone in their immediate (nuclear) family.

Nope.
Most people I know are not Sefardi and they do this all the time.
I know tons of children who are named the same name as an aunt or uncle. Happens all the time.

amother
Milk

Post Today at 11:03 am
I’m
Not named after anyone . My niece has the same name as me .
Not a big deal my sister liked the name

amother
  Scarlet

Post Today at 12:39 pm
essie14 wrote:
Nope.
Most people I know are not Sefardi and they do this all the time.
I know tons of children who are named the same name as an aunt or uncle. Happens all the time.

Right, many of my ashkenazi friends have this in their families.
Side note, I'm sefardi and we generally don't name for living parents, and aren't very into naming after grandparents or great grandparents either. We mostly just choose names. In my family and in my community, it would be unusual and somewhat funny to give your kid the same name as your sibling.

amother
Clematis

Post Today at 12:50 pm
My son's second name is the same as DH brother and my brother, we added it because of the Parsha he was born and liked the name (we had to add a name to his first name as the person was nifter young) they were all not named after anyone.
If I have another son it will probably also be named the same as DH other brother as it was the name as my grandfather.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Today at 1:15 pm
I think in a society where people often choose to name for specific people, it's very common to have multiple family members with the same name. Most people will likely assume that you are naming your child for someone.

amother
Wisteria

Post Today at 1:54 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
It's normal if you are all naming after the same person and hence cousins/aunts/uncles/nieces/nephews could have the same name (as posters responded). However, it sounds like you just want to name the same name because you like it and not naming after anyone. You could do what you want technically but I think it is a little weird.

It's not weird at all

Einikel

Post Today at 1:55 pm
I'm chassidish so I really can't relate to this possessiveness over names.

Ema of 5

Post Today at 2:20 pm
Einikel wrote:
I'm chassidish so I really can't relate to this possessiveness over names.

I’m not anything close to chassidish, and neither can I.

amother
Cherry

Post Today at 3:02 pm
my sister in law's sister's name is my middle name. she named her daughter a name with that name as the middle name. it was not a name named after anyone but a meaningful name think like bracha....

amother
  Rose

Post Today at 3:38 pm
I have a sister who was very possessive of her name for some reason. We're 5 sisters, followed by 2 brothers. All our names were common amongst our extended family, except hers. It became a bit of a thing, we always joked about how she's unique...

Until...both our brothers married girls with her name! She literally had an identity crisis!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names