Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Sinwar is dead!
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Today at 3:59 am
Elfrida wrote:
Another interesting speculation. I read a comment on the BBC regretting that he had not been brought to trial to answer for his misdeeds. I don't think anyone in Israel feels this way, but just supposing he had been brought to trial, do you think Israel would have revived the death penalty (only previously used on Eichman)?

Politically the left would have fought against it with everything they had, but would we want him sitting in prison at our expense, with the possibility of being released again some time in the future?

I would have preferred that the situation be like that of Eichman, in the sense that it would have been nice if a trial had been feasible.

But realistically if we had put him on trial it would have been a very different scenario. Because Eichman's trial was after Nazism had been defeated and nobody in civil society was openly pro-Nazi. But Sinwar's trial would involve Qatar going all-out to whip up support for Hamas.

And of course good luck getting a hostage release for anything less than Sinwar, if Sinwar's freedom had been seen to be on the table. It might have inspired more kidnappings.

So yeah. Better dead than on trial. If he had been on trial, I think there would have been a huge fight over the death penalty, Knesset would have ultimately passed it, the Supreme Court would strike it down, and it would just all be very messy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics