Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How to respond to this statement?
Previous  1  2

amother
  Jean

Post Yesterday at 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
He reads and translates fluently but his comprehension is below age level. He doesn't have a good grasp of what he learns even if he can parrot it.

This is a very common reason. It’s not anything you did wrong. He’s just struggling because our religion is surrounded by text and comprehension and it’s very hard for kids that can’t keep up. He just wants to feel successful. I’d focus on telling him he’ll get a job he’s good at one day and the road ahead is not as bleak as he thinks.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 2:13 pm
amother Jean wrote:
This is a very common reason. It’s not anything you did wrong. He’s just struggling because our religion is surrounded by text and comprehension and it’s very hard for kids that can’t keep up. He just wants to feel successful. I’d focus on telling him he’ll get a job he’s good at one day and the road ahead is not as bleak as he thinks.

He feels like he's wasting his life away on Gemara. He can keep up but he's interested in other things. This is totally understandable to me. But he's leaped from there to totally dismissing most of Judaism.

amother
Pistachio  

Post Yesterday at 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
He reads and translates fluently but his comprehension is below age level. He doesn't have a good grasp of what he learns even if he can parrot it.

That's probably why he feels so disconnected!
It's extremely hard for kids with learning disabilities to want to stay in our system where a lot of emphasis is put on how successful you are in learning.
His self esteem is probably really low.
Does he have a hobby? A sport is good at?
Does he have a good relationship with you and his father?
Attachment and connection to his family and more importantly his parents are crucial for those kids.
Do whatever it takes to make him feel that you love him. Gifts, make his favorite food, time one on one, trip to the ice cream store...

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 3:04 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
That's probably why he feels so disconnected!
It's extremely hard for kids with learning disabilities to want to stay in our system where a lot of emphasis is put on how successful you are in learning.
His self esteem is probably really low.
Does he have a hobby? A sport is good at?
Does he have a good relationship with you and his father?
Attachment and connection to his family and more importantly his parents are crucial for those kids.
Do whatever it takes to make him feel that you love him. Gifts, make his favorite food, time one on one, trip to the ice cream store...

Thanks. I've been doing this for him for years. He's taken a turn for the worse recently. Staying in his room a lot, claiming he doesn't like the noise of our family. Going to go to the library to learn about other religions. Saying he rejects our values. It is hard to have a good relationship with someone who is acting this way.

amother
  Pistachio

Post Yesterday at 3:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. I've been doing this for him for years. He's taken a turn for the worse recently. Staying in his room a lot, claiming he doesn't like the noise of our family. Going to go to the library to learn about other religions. Saying he rejects our values. It is hard to have a good relationship with someone who is acting this way.

Please reach out!! You need help. A lot of ppl are in the same situation as you!!
https://keshernafshi.org/
Listen to some of the lectures for lots of chizuk and good advice!
https://nesivos.org/
https://www.resolveteens.org/

max

Post Yesterday at 3:55 pm
Waterbury Now not next year!!! Was an amazing opportunity for my son was life changing!!!!!

amother
Whitewash

Post Yesterday at 4:00 pm
Where is he in school now ?
Be careful about Waterbury, dig deep .
Yea maybe they answer Yiddishkeit questions but kids there have much bigger issues than having questions
If you just have a kid struggling w/ mitzvos… but not openly OTD isnt drinking, smoking , doing drugs, vaping & hooking up w/ girls …. Talk to Rabbi in real life who helps boys like this if Waterbury or similar is a good fit for your kid .

amother
Snapdragon

Post Yesterday at 4:25 pm
Can he apply to YU or Touro early admissions?

Ok, just read about his learning disability maybe not college. I would send him to therapy if he seems depressed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children