Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of building a 4000 square foot house in lakewood nj
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yolk

Post Yesterday at 8:16 am
[quote="amother Steel"]Maybe she's including attic & basement so it's 2500sf? Still not "very small", but still.

Op, I did a 1500sf extension. No kitchen, 1 bath, 1 bed. And it costed over 250k.
Prices are high.

You only have 1 bed and 1 bath in a 1500 sf? 1500 sf should be able to have 4/5 bedrooms.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Yesterday at 8:23 am
My house is about 1500 sq ft (plus basement). 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Not a mansion, but very nice.
I can't understand how almost three times this size would be small.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Yesterday at 8:28 am
My house is 3000sq.
I have a living room, dining room, office, bathroom, family room, a medium size kitchen, small pesach kitchen, small laundry room, 4 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms plus nursery.
My house is not a decent size, it's large! Thank you Hashem!
Sorry I don't have 6 ft hallways, that's true.

cupcake123

Post Yesterday at 10:34 am
Like this post if you think 4000 sf is big and you're from lakewood!

amother
  Steel

Post Yesterday at 10:43 am
[quote="amother Yolk"]
amother Steel wrote:
Maybe she's including attic & basement so it's 2500sf? Still not "very small", but still.

Op, I did a 1500sf extension. No kitchen, 1 bath, 1 bed. And it costed over 250k.
Prices are high.

You only have 1 bed and 1 bath in a 1500 sf? 1500 sf should be able to have 4/5 bedrooms.

I had other things I was adding. It wasn't an addition for more living space.

amother
Almond  

Post Yesterday at 9:48 pm
amother Rose wrote:
I live in Lakewood. My housed is 3400sq ft. It's average-to just a tiny bit above average-in size.

NO THAT IS NOT AVERAGE!!! I live with my husband and 7 kids bli ayin hara in a comfortable 5 bed 1500sq ft house! (not in Lakewood). For a family our size it is snug. When we were a family of 6 it felt like a mansion.
In what world is 3400sq ft considered an average size house??? this is crazy! If you people are all living in such mansions and consider them to be only average size, how on earth will your kids feel about being in yeshiva or seminary in EY one day? they will go around complaining about how teeny everything is. they will never want to live in EY.
we are doing our children a huge disservice! Please everyone go smaller, be happy, let your kids now how to be mistapek bemuat. Our Jewish world is going crazy Sad

amother
  Almond  

Post Yesterday at 9:49 pm
[quote="amother Yolk"]
amother Steel wrote:
Maybe she's including attic & basement so it's 2500sf? Still not "very small", but still.

Prices are high.

THIS
my house is 1500sq ft and has five bedrooms...........

cnc  

Post Yesterday at 9:51 pm
How can you fit 5 bedrooms into a 1500 sq foot house? How many bathrooms- is there any living space?

amother
  Oxfordblue

Post Yesterday at 9:59 pm
cnc wrote:
How can you fit 5 bedrooms into a 1500 sq foot house? How many bathrooms- is there any living space?

Has to be with basement.
We live in 1200 square ft. 2 bedrooms in cape second floor. 3 bedrooms in basement. But basement isn’t included in sq footage.
BH we are happy.

2500 sq ft would be nice for me. Not too big. Not too much to clean. Not too much room to get lost and not spend time with each other.

(Never mind. Does make sense. With Our basement it is 1900 sq ft. 5 bedrooms. 3 full bathrooms. Eat in kitchen. Living room. Dining room. Study. Laundry room. Huge walk-in toy closet. And tons of storage. One storage room could easily be a sixth bedroom. We have 6 kids sleep comfortably and a dedicated guest room)

amother
  Almond  

Post Yesterday at 10:01 pm
cnc wrote:

I am confused by your question!
our bedrooms are on the smaller size but are perfectly livable. I am planning on sleeping 12 people in our house over Yomtov. A bit of a squish but will be fine. any more guests and we would need to have some kids sleep in the playroom.
bedroom 1 = 13 x 11
bedroom 2 = 12 x 10
bedroom 3 = 13 x 8
bedroom 4 = 13 x 7.5
bedroom 5 = 14 x 9.5
total sq footage of bedrooms is 507. That's about one-third of the house.
kitchen is smallish, about 10 x 12. no island, no eat-in kitchen. but it has worked great for us for over twenty years.
living room/dining room is about 20 x 11 = 220sq ft
2.5 bathrooms, none are big, the biggest is 10 x 8 ft
playroom is big, about 25 x 15 = 375
Small but functional laundry room. total sq ft is 1500. BH so happy here

amother
Apple

Post Yesterday at 10:01 pm
cnc wrote:

I live in 1426 sf. 4 bedrooms that fit 2 twin beds (master has full) 2 bathrooms plus Laundry room/craft room. The kitchen and dining room can just use another 40 sf each to feel roomy enough room for our family of 7.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Yesterday at 10:18 pm
amother Almond wrote:
NO THAT IS NOT AVERAGE!!! I live with my husband and 7 kids bli ayin hara in a comfortable 5 bed 1500sq ft house! (not in Lakewood). For a family our size it is snug. When we were a family of 6 it felt like a mansion.
In what world is 3400sq ft considered an average size house??? this is crazy! If you people are all living in such mansions and consider them to be only average size, how on earth will your kids feel about being in yeshiva or seminary in EY one day? they will go around complaining about how teeny everything is. they will never want to live in EY.
we are doing our children a huge disservice! Please everyone go smaller, be happy, let your kids now how to be mistapek bemuat. Our Jewish world is going crazy Sad

It's only average if you only count the large houses, lol. We have plenty, plenty of smaller houses, all the old townhouses for example, are around 2400 sq feet. Or less.

We also have some larger houses as at one point building in Lakewood was cheap, but they really are LARGE, it's ridiculous to pretend they're average.

cnc  

Post Yesterday at 10:20 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I am confused by your question!
our bedrooms are on the smaller size but are perfectly livable. I am planning on sleeping 12 people in our house over Yomtov. A bit of a squish but will be fine. any more guests and we would need to have some kids sleep in the playroom.
bedroom 1 = 13 x 11
bedroom 2 = 12 x 10
bedroom 3 = 13 x 8
bedroom 4 = 13 x 7.5
bedroom 5 = 14 x 9.5
total sq footage of bedrooms is 507. That's about one-third of the house.
kitchen is smallish, about 10 x 12. no island, no eat-in kitchen. but it has worked great for us for over twenty years.
living room/dining room is about 20 x 11 = 220sq ft
2.5 bathrooms, none are big, the biggest is 10 x 8 ft
playroom is big, about 25 x 15 = 375
Small but functional laundry room. total sq ft is 1500. BH so happy here

The reason I am asking is because I have viewed a number of apartments recently that were around that size and they were all maximum 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with no eat in kitchen (which is not a big deal) and in many of them, the washer/dryer was in a bathroom- no separate laundy space.
For those posting that they have 5 bedrooms in 1500 square foot, I will assume that the house was built utilizing a really good space planner.

amother
  Almond

Post Yesterday at 10:26 pm
cnc wrote:
The reason I am asking is because I have viewed a number of apartments recently that were around that size and they were all maximum 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with no eat in kitchen (which is not a big deal) and in many of them, the washer/dryer was in a bathroom- no separate laundy space.
For those posting that they have 5 bedrooms in 1500 square foot, I will assume that the house was built utilizing a really good space planner.

I would assume then that those apartments have huge bedrooms instead of smaller more efficient use of space like mine. Were the bathrooms also very big? yes, I guess it would be nice to have more luxurious larger bathrooms and bedrooms. but BH we have managed great like this as I said with 9 of us BH BH
I guess you are right, I guess all the houses in my neighborhood that are the same model as mine, were just planned and laid out really well to maximize usage. As you can see from my sq ft numbers (and I know they are accurate because we recently measured for flooring!)

But whatever the case, I am just really upset that people are nowadays expecting so much. Too much gashmiyus is not good for us! Lets remember that we are in galus and keep a low profile here in galus

cnc

Post Yesterday at 10:29 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I would assume then that those apartments have huge bedrooms instead of smaller more efficient use of space like mine. Were the bathrooms also very big? yes, I guess it would be nice to have more luxurious larger bathrooms and bedrooms. but BH we have managed great like this as I said with 9 of us BH BH
I guess you are right, I guess all the houses in my neighborhood that are the same model as mine, were just planned and laid out really well to maximize usage. As you can see from my sq ft numbers (and I know they are accurate because we recently measured for flooring!)

But whatever the case, I am just really upset that people are nowadays expecting so much. Too much gashmiyus is not good for us! Lets remember that we are in galus and keep a low profile here in galus

Not at all. Most of them held two beds and no room for furniture. I wonder if the square footage was calculated differently/inaccurate.

And yes, completely agree with your last paragraph. We need to remember that this is a temporary stop (galus) and not our final destination!

amother
  Gardenia

Post Yesterday at 10:42 pm
cnc wrote:
Not at all. Most of them held two beds and no room for furniture. I wonder if the square footage was calculated differently/inaccurate.

And yes, completely agree with your last paragraph. We need to remember that this is a temporary stop (galus) and not our final destination!

Our final destination is going to be pretty cramped. We will all be going to a really small accommodation, maybe 6 feet or so, even those of us living in over 7000 square foot homes. We can’t take our McMansions with us, only our real life accomplishments accompany us for eternity.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics